Old 07-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Survey required for insurance

We are set to close on our new to us Formula 41PC tomorrow. In preparation I called Boat/US to get a binder on the boat. We did all the routine questions and they said they had everything they needed. I asked where to send the survey and they answered that no survey was needed. Interesting. I wonder if that is what others are finding at this time. When we bought our last boat they did want a survey and must have actually read it since they asked me to correct the problems the surveyor found.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:13 PM   #2

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Constellation
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
We had the same experience when we bought our boat in May Dave. They didn’t even ask about a survey.
Constellation1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It surprised me. In the past they have always asked for a survey. Back in 2001 we bought a boat and they asked me to do a self survey and fill out a form. But later they said that that policy had gone away.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #4

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Probably depends on insurer and age of boat. A recent survey (< 6 months old) was required last time I bought a boat (2 years ago).
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It is a 1998. Geico/Boat/US insurance.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
It seems to vary. Some need a survey within 2 years, some will take one 3 or 4 years old, some might be even less fussy. I'm not really sure what drives that decision.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #7

City: Liberty Corner
Vessel Name: Lady J
Vessel Model: Donelle 35 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post

Bought a 2004 Donelle and same thing Gieco/Boat/US insurance - no survey needed.

What was interesting to me is I was bringing the boat from Key West to NJ - I told them I had a friend who was a captain and he was going to help me bring the boat back. They said if you are paying him we will not allow it - but if he is your friend no issues... WTH? So I told them ok he is my friend and I am not paying him - cough cough cough... They said have fun no problems...
Old 07-26-2021, 04:55 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Be wary- GEICO currently has a requirement for a survey after a vessel is 20 years of age. Do you have it in writing that there is no survey requirement for your 1998 vessel?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have a survey. I also have the policy from them. I was surprised that they didn’t want it, but we will see if they eventually ask for one. The only thing of consequence that came up on the survey was the halon wasn’t currently certified, but I had already told the surveyor that. They are coming tomorrow to certify the halon system.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #10

City: Tampa, FL
Vessel Name: Bagus
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52-01
My last boat purchased in 2018 (16 years old) Geico required the survey but my larger upgraded boat purchased in 2020 (8 years old) they didn’t ask for a copy of the survey. Not sure if their policy changed or because my latest boat was newer they didn’t require the survey. ��
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:48 AM   #11
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
My current boat (new construction) didn't require a survey (Chubb) but the previous boat (also new and I think that first policy was also Chubb or ACE) did require a survey.

I'm expecting to have to get a survey on my current boat if I change carriers.
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:02 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
Quote:
I have a survey. I also have the policy from them. I was surprised that they didn’t want it, but we will see if they eventually ask for one. The only thing of consequence that came up on the survey was the halon wasn’t currently certified, but I had already told the surveyor that. They are coming tomorrow to certify the halon system.

Two things...

1. Considering the recent changes that Geico has come forward with, consider yourself lucky that you even GOT a policy. I would also tell you to expect your premium to double or even nearly triple next year.

2. Who do you call to get a halon system certified? Our halon system is 13lb 11oz and was MFG in 1995. Although everything still lights up and shows its on, I have no idea what condition its really and have no clue how to go about getting it certified.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We needed at the least an in water survey on our 1969 steel custom built for insurance. We had it done about a month ago.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #14
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I am with you Dave. That seems strange.
When I bought Pilitak, the insurer not only wanted a survey done, but REQUIRED that I address ALL items listed by the surveyor, not just the high priority or safety items (of which there were few). That surveyor even wanted the factory "prewiring" for possible air conditioning either removed or "capped off". The wires were neatly coiled up and connected to nothing at both ends but the insurance company wanted it "dealt with" anyway because "the surveyor mentioned it".
Old 07-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Did you take a note out on the vessel? The bank would typically want a survey as well. If the insurance company sees the lien from the bank, they could assume that the bank has already requested a survey.

Just speculation.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #16
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I talked with Geico directly. They will no longer work through individual agencies.
I currently have a Geico policy. I asked about renewing it and was told, first I have to cancel the existing policy to get a new quote. (anyone smelling fish, besides me?)
I'm not worried until the end of the year. By then my agent should come up with an alternative.
For those who have Geico through WestMarine, better call and check. I think there are new restrictions and limited insurance.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I talked with Geico directly. They will no longer work through individual agencies.
I currently have a Geico policy. I asked about renewing it and was told, first I have to cancel the existing policy to get a new quote. (anyone smelling fish, besides me?)
I'm not worried until the end of the year. By then my agent should come up with an alternative.
For those who have Geico through WestMarine, better call and check. I think there are new restrictions and limited insurance.
Interesting- GEICO advised us independent agents that they would NOT go after the agent's customers, but would refer the insured back to their agency.

The plot gets thicker...

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #18
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Interesting- GEICO advised us independent agents that they would NOT go after the agent's customers, but would refer the insured back to their agency.

The plot gets thicker...
Yes, it does thicken. Helps explain the, 'you must first cancel your existing policy.'
Old 07-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

We have had our boat insurance with Boat/US for probably 40 years and have had no issues with them. I understand that it is somewhat different now with Geico. Our rates have gone up some years and not others. I am not concerned that they will double or triple.

I assumed that they would want the survey, the bank did, but Boat/US said they didn’t need it. Ok, if they want it down the line I have it. It just seemed strange so I posted this thread to see what others are experiencing.

Last boat that we bought they did want a survey and asked me to correct the safety issues within a month or so. This survey the only real issue is the halon not being current. Most people don’t realize that they are supposed to be checked each year. The surveyor on our last boat when he did the survey for the buyer was astonished that the halon system was current. He said it was the first one he had found in over 10 years that was current. It was current because I had it checked each year. The problem is where we live there are no places to get it checked. (Maybe a business opportunity). So I would take it to Detroit to have it checked. The seller of our new boat has a company coming this afternoon to certify the system. The boat is in the Detroit area so there are companies there to do the check. We are heading out shortly to go to the boat and run it home tomorrow. It is about 150 miles so it should take about 6 hours tomorrow to get it home.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:20 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We just needed liability only (300k) for our marina. We couldn’t couldn’t get liability only. For our insurance we had to get a minimum 40k boat policy to get liability, that’s why we needed the survey.