Survey required for insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats on your new boat, how about some pictures as you always suggest :)

The last two boats that I purchased did not require surveys. I have liability set at 500K and replacement value equal to my purchase price.

Thanks, we ran it home today 6.5 hours and 160 miles. I have not even had a chance to take a photo yet. But I will as soon as I can. We are going to be busy with my MILs memorial service and my 101 year old mother fell and shattered her femur. Lots of trips to the nursing home. So maybe next week I will have a chance to take some photos. Thanks for the idea!

Personally, when it comes to fire fighting equipments, requirements or no requirements I dont want to die. If the ER is small enough, the halon system will take care of it. If there is a grease fire, I have a fire blanket and fire extinguishers. I have double the size of 'suggested' fire extinguisher and 3 more than 'suggested'.
And FYI, there are USCG requirements. I cannot quote you chapter and verse but, they are there.

Last edited:
Federal requirements boats 26 to 40 feet.

Fire Extinguishers

At least two B-1 type approved portable fire extinguishers; OR at least one B-2 type.

Pretty lame but they don't expect the average boater to put out much more than a trash can fire.

I am not positive but the examination requirements, even though not expected by the USCG on inspection, I think come from the NFPA and are connected through the ABYC.

Last edited:
We didn't qualify for the same insurance product that we have been on for several years with AIG (through a broker), so we were pushed to change our policy. The agent shopped us around, but did say we could do better with a survey in-hand. So since we were in the yard already, we had one done. We are now with a new company and are paying $200+/yr. lower in premiums than the last few years.

THAT SAID! I feel like it is still a good idea to get a survey every few years or so anyway. It really provides an insight into your maintenance on some things you may have missed, overlooked, or put on the back burner that really needs doing. Our surveyor found an AC hose that was in horrible shape and could have sunk the boat if it failed. I knew it needed doing, but I didn't know it had gotten so bad. It saved our ass.

Congrats on your new boat, how about some pictures as you always suggest :)

The last two boats that I purchased did not require surveys. I have liability set at 500K and replacement value equal to my purchase price.

Here are a couple I just snapped. All I have for now. Radar the inspiration for the name loves the new boat and swim platform.

Attachments

• 1F46B2F5-CBEC-46FA-8D43-024372FB8651.jpg
    1F46B2F5-CBEC-46FA-8D43-024372FB8651.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 17
  • F7FD99AE-524C-42B4-8AA8-CF464566CE22.jpg
    F7FD99AE-524C-42B4-8AA8-CF464566CE22.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 22
Dave, that's a sweet looking boat. Looks fast just sitting there tied to the dock!

Thanks. It has 2 Cummins 6CTAs in it. They are 420HP. We were cruising at 2200RPM and getting 26+ MPH. 25MPH was my desired cruising speed so it matches our goal. There is a lot of work to do on it. In October we are having bow and stern thrusters installed. It has a walk thru windshield and the side decks are very tight. My wife is sometimes quite clumsy and doesn’t feel comfortable going to the bow for docking so with the thrusters she shouldn’t have to go up there. We are having an extended swim problem made, which unfortunately won’t get here until November, to increase the depth of the platform to 63” so boarding from the side will be easier. The current swim platform only extends about 5” past the sides of the gunnels. Then we will have SeaDek installed throughout the cockpit and helm area and the new swim platform. With those upgrades it will hopefully be safer for Sandy and Radar to get on and off the boat as well as not slip sliding around on the deck. We are going to measure for the new cabin flooring today. Going to put in plank vinyl flooring to replace the worn and badly stained carpet in the cabin. Also have an unending list of smaller projects to do. Gotta love working on the boat!!!

Dave:
Congratulations on finding the right boat for this era of your life. But sorry to see that your wife's mom passed. Please extend our condolences to her.

And also, my goodness, it sounds like your mom is going to need lots of support and assistance. You certainly have your hands full on top of the new boat.

Take care,
Pea & Dan Trombley

Thanks all. The ride was great but the waves were small so we will see when we have a chance to take it out in something larger. But all the owners of the 41PC on the Formula owners group say it is the best riding hull they have ever owned. Hopefully this is true.

Thanks all. The ride was great but the waves were small so we will see when we have a chance to take it out in something larger. But all the owners of the 41PC on the Formula owners group say it is the best riding hull they have ever owned. Hopefully this is true.

Experience says the ride will be excellent and handle waves better than most boats here, especially at speed. Very nice boat.

How old is your halon system? A little off topic, but I do not believe you can get a halon system recertified as most cylinders must be hydrotested, and cannot legally be refilled after test. Some manufacturers will give a significant discount on a new system, if you return the old bottle.

Experience says the ride will be excellent and handle waves better than most boats here, especially at speed. Very nice boat.

Dont forget your helmet, PFD, comfortable helm seat and 5 point seat belt

May be late to mention this but, try not to get involved with an insurance company that requires periodic surveys for no reason. Not only are the surveys themselves costly but the surveyors always seem to invent something to justify their existence which then needs to be "corrected" to continue your insurance.

No survey needed

We are set to close on our new to us Formula 41PC tomorrow. In preparation I called Boat/US to get a binder on the boat. We did all the routine questions and they said they had everything they needed. I asked where to send the survey and they answered that no survey was needed. Interesting. I wonder if that is what others are finding at this time. When we bought our last boat they did want a survey and must have actually read it since they asked me to correct the problems the surveyor found.

I recently got a quote from Boat U.S. on a MS 400 and they told me a survey was NOT necessary.

I recently got a quote from Boat U.S. on a MS 400 and they told me a survey was NOT necessary.

GEICO/BoatUS requires surveys after 20 years- so if the boat is not older that 20 years, you’re good without survey.

We just bought a 1998 Formula 41PC and they didn’t want a survey. That is why I started this thread. I thought it was unusual, but maybe not???

We just bought a 1998 Formula 41PC and they didn’t want a survey. That is why I started this thread. I thought it was unusual, but maybe not???

Interesting- perhaps GEICO has once again moved the goalposts. As no long as you have it in writing, you’re good.

That said, I would definitely get a survey for anything over 10 years of age and over 28’ long.

Yes, I had a survey done, Geico just didn’t want it.

Regarding the ride, I delivered a 41 from Milwaukee to wheelers landing in bay city a few years ago, diesel, generator, may be the same boat, rode fine but never had more than 3 footers. Only complaint was around the dock as she has the long bow that likes to keep on swinging but most express act that way. Nice boat.

So far we love it. It came from Algonac, Michigan. Before that it was in Buffalo, NY. Doubt it is the same boat.

Yes, I had a survey done, Geico just didn’t want it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you make a significant claim, Geico's first question will be, "Are you sure you have a policy with us?" Second question will be, "When was the last time you had a survey done?" (both in and out of the water)

My advice is to consider having an 'in and out' survey every 2-3 years for your own benefit and so you can answer YES!!! to the insurance company.

Geico was willing to take a big risk as it built up its portfolio. Now it is busy changing the rules to its own benefit. It just might be time to ask your agent for a different company with equal coverage for less money.

Last edited:
I have a sneaking suspicion that if you make a significant claim, Geico's first question will be, "Are you sure you have a policy with us?" Second question will be, "When was the last time you had a survey done?" (both in and out of the water)

Well, since I have a written copy of the policy and they have been charging my credit card for the payments it would be difficult for them to say we don’t have a policy. And I did get a survey done but they didn’t want a copy of it.

My advice is to consider having an 'in and out' survey every 2-3 years for your own benefit and so you can answer YES!!! to the insurance company.

Geico was willing to take a big risk as it built up its portfolio. Now it is busy changing the rules to its own benefit. It just might be time to ask your agent for a different company with equal coverage for less money.

GEICO cannot ask for a survey as a result of a claim- it would be a legal faux pas on their part. If they have accepted the contract, the contract is valid.

A survey every 5 years (or every other haulout) is more than sufficient.

I do agree that shopping that policy is a good idea, especially if the vessel is in the Great Lakes. GEICO does not offer a layup credit for winter, where other companies do.

Why would I want to spend $1000 every 2 to 3 years for an unnecessary survey? If the insurance company demands a survey then I will get one, but I wouldn’t even consider getting one just in case.

There are differences in requirements as boats age.

I;m in Canada. A survey, out of water, every five years has been de rigueur now for the last 20 yrs on my 43 year old boat.

THis year I have to provide an engine survey on top of that before the next renewal.

My surveys have always come up good. THe only other fly was having to replace all the nylon through hulls with bronze. PIA and a lot of work and expense for T.H. that I could not break with a sledge hammer. They just about went into orbit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom