Survey in rain ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Njlarry

Would like to hear of the experience of others. We were to have a survey, haul and sea trial last week but awoke to steady rain. Our surveyor said he could not use moisture meter and advised reseduling but broker said surveys are one in rain all the time. We resheduled but are hoping it dosent rain next time. What happens when surveys are one in inclement weather? Thanks in advance.

When a broker and the person doing the work disagree, I vote for the person doing the work. When a broker and someone hired by you to protect your interest disagree, I vote for the person you hired to protect your interest.

You are paying for the survey and it is up to you. No you can’t use the moisture meter in the rain. But you can tap the deck out and see how it sounds. Maybe not as accurate as the meter but that is how they used to do all of them. Your call not the brokers call.

Nice thing about doing it in the rain is you will be able to check the integrity of the decks and especially the windows and trim.

pete

Rain/overcast day will also not allow YOU (your the one buying...) to see many imperfections in fiberglass, gel coat, wood, discolorations, etc. On the first sunny day of ownership it could drive you nuts... depending on your OCD level.

Rain/overcast day will also not allow YOU (your the one buying...) to see many imperfections in fiberglass, gel coat, wood, discolorations, etc. On the first sunny day of ownership it could drive you nuts... depending on your OCD level.

This is a very good point, not many think about what the rain hides.

I"m dealing with leaks that didn't show during the sunny survey.

I vote for the pro surveyor to work in the dry, and YOU inspect during or right after a hard rain.

When a broker and the person doing the work disagree, I vote for the person doing the work. When a broker and someone hired by you to protect your interest disagree, I vote for the person you hired to protect your interest.

That's a good rule for life.

Having said that, I have only bought two used boats and in neither case did the surveyor use a moisture meter. Hull was sounded but no moisture meter, so I'm not sure how critical your surveyor would say that is.

That's a good rule for life.

Having said that, I have only bought two used boats and in neither case did the surveyor use a moisture meter. Hull was sounded but no moisture meter, so I'm not sure how critical your surveyor would say that is.

It depends on what the boat is made of. It's common to meter cored fiberglass decks, but most non-cored structures (or anything metal) may not prompt use of a meter.

Both are correct. The majority of the survey CAN be done in the rain. However, checking moisture levels cannot. I doubt the surveyor wants to show up twice for the survey and a third time for a sea trial.

I'd tell the broker he's welcome to pay for the second survey visit for the surveyor to come back to check moisture levels on a different day.

I"m dealing with leaks that didn't show during the sunny survey.

I vote for the pro surveyor to work in the dry, and YOU inspect during or right after a hard rain.

I know a couple who bought a pristine yacht, boathouse kept, that upon removal from said covering was found to have leaks. So, if it were me, I would want a walk through (sans surveyor) immediately after or during a torrential downpour.

Did I do this when I purchased Seaweed? No. Did I find drips after moving aboard? Yes, the first time it rained.

Given that you can't have both rain and not rain for the survey, I'd choose not rain. Here's why:

1) Gelcoat and other things always look great and shiny in the rain. I want to see what they are really like.

2) Deck damage can be expensive or onerous (or both) to fix. So I want both sounding AND the moisture meter so I get the best possible info.

3) Most ongoing leaks tend to leave evidence, which you can see even when it's not raining. Either streaks down below, or, something that can be found with the moisture meter above.

There's a chance I'd then miss a recent/smaller leak; but I'd take that chance given the choices. But then it's clear just as many would choose the opposite and prefer to survey in the rain.

You shouldn`t inspect a used car in the rain, or a boat. A friend says the best way to inspect a used car is take a bucket and sponge and wash it. Less easy with a boat.

Back
Top Bottom