Small Motorboat Registration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvmahal

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mahal
Vessel Make
23m Trawler
When we traded for our trawler the owner threw in a small 29ft sailboat and a 15-19ft smaller motorboat. The trawler and the sailboat I didnt have any trouble with registering with the USCG to get documentation. However I dont think the smaller motorboat qualifies to be documented.

It was built in France sometime in the 1960's

What options do I have to register it?

I am still abroad and not in the US at this time but would like to get the registration corrected on the boat.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

USCG documentation has a minimum size of 5 gross tons, so the smaller boat is probably out.

Registration is a state issue, so you'll have to deal with the particular state.

Does the country you're in require anything? You may have to register there first. Then when you get back here re-register in whatever state the boat will be used in. That's not necessarily the state of your residence. If you know where that will be you can check with their DMV or whatever they call it (here in Michigan it's the Secretary of State) to find out the specific process. Coming from overseas there may be some issues, especially if it was not registered to you in the original country.

Does the country you're in require anything? You may have to register there first. Then when you get back here re-register in whatever state the boat will be used in. That's not necessarily the state of your residence. If you know where that will be you can check with their DMV or whatever they call it (here in Michigan it's the Secretary of State) to find out the specific process. Coming from overseas there may be some issues, especially if it was not registered to you in the original country.

No there wont be any problems as long as I say it is used as our dinghy. :)

However I would like to bring back to US with us if not then I will have to just look into selling it before.

Just register it in whatever state you enter when you get here.

Back
Top Bottom