Old 11-20-2020, 07:58 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I think if I were in the sellers shoes going FSBO and a broker approached with a buyers interest/offer I would respond with the following: (assuming any seller has some wiggle/ negotiating room built into ask $)
Ask price was determined assuming no broker fees
Price is firm at ask $ but...
Willing to consider buyer broker fee of 5% if buyer & seller split it. Seller ponies up 2.5%
I just hate to refuse a real offer and send a potential buyer away.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Totally agree. Don't want to loose a buyer or seller over 2 or 3%.... even 5% if the market isn't strong.

I've seen a lot of folks turn down an offer ($200k range) where they were a few thousand apart, only to end up with $20K less, 6 months down the road.

So, as much as one doesn't want to pay the other guys broker, sometimes it's prudent to do so and get the job done.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #23
Guru

City: Boston Area
This seems pretty clear cut to me. The buyer's broker didn't help you out, he helped his client out. In real estate I think there is a signed agreement before a broker will spend time on you, so I would guess the buyer and the broker have already agreed on payment terms. This seems like a nice dinner/fancy bottle of hooch situation and a promise to recomend him if anyone you know needs his service.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #24

City: Montgomery, Tx
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Being in Beaumont anyone that comes to see my boat is coming for that reason, no other.

When we listed the boat I told our broker I would show the boat if he would reduce his percentage.

He sold me the boat, and would sell the next boat. He hesitated then agreed.

When we were thinking about listing it in Florida no one would really budge.

I think with the market now the would do about anything just for the listing.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #25
Guru

We sold our boat with a 4% fee by doing most work ourselves. I provided the photos and showed the boat to prospects. Broker was not local to boat. IMO the only real advantages of using a broker are (1) to get boat listed on Yachtworld; (2) to have broker show boat, especially if you do not live near your vessel. In our case, the YW listing was the issue. Despite the broker's gripes about the fee, he ended up doing OK because the buyers did not bring a "buyer's broker" and he got to keep the 4% ($16K) for just listing the boat on YW.
If I were to list the boat myself (not on YW) and to do all the work, any payment to a "buyer's broker" would only happen as part of the final price negotiation. If the boat goes for the asking price (ha, ha) the broker I would happily pay a percentage (3-4%), otherwise any payment to the broker is essentially coming from the buyer getting less of a deal.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Name: EPIC
Vessel Model: 43' Ocean Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
We sold our boat with a 4% fee by doing most work ourselves. I provided the photos and showed the boat to prospects. Broker was not local to boat. IMO the only real advantages of using a broker are (1) to get boat listed on Yachtworld; (2) to have broker show boat, especially if you do not live near your vessel. In our case, the YW listing was the issue. Despite the broker's gripes about the fee, he ended up doing OK because the buyers did not bring a "buyer's broker" and he got to keep the 4% ($16K) for just listing the boat on YW.
If I were to list the boat myself (not on YW) and to do all the work, any payment to a "buyer's broker" would only happen as part of the final price negotiation. If the boat goes for the asking price (ha, ha) the broker I would happily pay a percentage (3-4%), otherwise any payment to the broker is essentially coming from the buyer getting less of a deal.
I'd add one other potential advantage. A broker with an established brokerage will have an escrow account which adds security to the transaction when accepting payments and deposits.
Prospective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #27
Guru

Agreed! Not sure what the max is for PayPal!!!
Though once you get past the deposit stage the main payment can be made by wire transfer with little risk.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #28
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Agreed! Not sure what the max is for PayPal!!!
Though once you get past the deposit stage the main payment can be made by wire transfer with little risk.

Personally, I'd NEVER use PayPal for anything. Just google the Palpal lawsuits.... they are unregulated.

And, I really don't trust a brokerage's deposit account, either, unless they can be verified, have references, and have an excellent reputation. Most states to not recognize any qualifications for brokers.

I really like to write the check and get the boat with title at the same time... NO middlemen.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Name: EPIC
Vessel Model: 43' Ocean Super Sport
Yeah, that's why I mentioned "established brokerage". A large firm like United or HMY will be pretty secure.

Prospective is offline   Reply With Quote