question about buying a documented boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we bought our boat, we were unaware it had been USCG documented.

Over the weekend, when I was climbing around in the ER, I noticed a USCG number hidden away on the hull.

Today, I looked up the documentation number in the vessel documentation database and it was there but stated "Data found in historical database no longer in Documentation."

No owner is listed although a vessel name, previous owner and previous vessel name is. So, what does that mean to us? If we went to document it would we get a new documentation number?

You complete the same form, initial or redocumentation and indicate the old documentation number.

http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/inst replace.pdf

I would confirm with them by phone that it was a correct documentation number for your boat.

You complete the same form, initial or redocumentation and indicate the old documentation number.

http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/inst replace.pdf

I would confirm with them by phone that it was a correct documentation number for your boat.

Funny but I don't see anywhere on the CG-1258 form to report the previous documentation.

Confirm by phone....really??? Does anyone at the USCG answer questions like this and do they even answer the phone? There is a USCG station just down the road. Maybe some one there can enlighten us.

Funny but I don't see anywhere on the CG-1258 form to report the previous documentation.

Confirm by phone....really??? Does anyone at the USCG answer questions like this and do they even answer the phone? There is a USCG station just down the road. Maybe some one there can enlighten us.

The local station isn't the best source of info sometimes...

Yes the NVDC does answer the phone and in my experiences (all but one) have been very pleasant and cooperative.

The local station isn't the best source of info sometimes...

Yes the NVDC does answer the phone and in my experiences (all but one) have been very pleasant and cooperative.

I second that plus with their systems upgrades just made their access to information is improving significantly.

Item B on the form. Official # (if awarded).

First line on the form.

Then under purpose of application you select "Return to documentation following deletion."

Funny, I see those things. Are we looking at the same form?

Item B on the form. Official # (if awarded).

First line on the form.

Then under purpose of application you select "Return to documentation following deletion."

Funny, I see those things. Are we looking at the same form?

Yep, we are looking at same form but I was looking for something like documentation number. My bad.

Yep, we are looking at same form but I was looking for something like documentation number. My bad.

No problem. I often look at something and can't see something and my wife sees it instantly.

You can and must secure all insurance before you take ownership. You don't need the Documentation for insurance. You are fine to operate without the final documents. Only if you're leaving the country is it an issue and you can get expedited service if that's your situation. It's actually referred to by them as Priority Handling. However, highly illegal to falsify a document to get it.

As to waiting for months, it's just over three months at the moment for initial applications. They are currently on February 15 receipts.

I bought my boat in Alaska and had to transit Canada to bring her to California. I did not have documentation on board but I did have the bill of sale and a letter from the title company indicating that USCG documentation had been applied for and fees paid. These docs were accepted without issue when I cleared customs and immigration in Anarcortes, WA.

I just received a temporary documentation from NVDC that says they still haven't processed the change, but that this document will stand in its place for up to a year or until the real documentation is completed. My forms were sent in around March 15. The letter does indicate that it does not indicate that title is held. It doesn't even include the name and hailing port, just the HIN and Documentation Number.

Richard

I bought my boat in Alaska and had to transit Canada to bring her to California. I did not have documentation on board but I did have the bill of sale and a letter from the title company indicating that USCG documentation had been applied for and fees paid. These docs were accepted without issue when I cleared customs and immigration in Anarcortes, WA.

Not a problem in the US or Canada. May be in other areas which is the reason they offer priority processing if you're leaving the country.

"Title in our names arrived two weeks later."

A title is NOT a USCG doc.

Yup. My point was that I would have had a lot more hassle if I hadn't used a broker. The broker suggested using a local agency if I wanted to document but I decided to do state registration instead, hence the DMV title. My opinion is that in either case (state or CG) using an agent/broker is worth the expense.
________
Dick

Its the cpmpleted paperwork or the chain of it that satisfies the authorities...not whether a broker is used or not.

It's just a question of how much work you want to do rather than paying someone else to do it.

That may require investigation, asking questions and following up muh beyond the simple when things aren't as they appear to be.

Not the local station. NVDC. They've been very helpful when I've had questions.

-Chris

If I decide not to try to complete the paper work to bring the documentation up to date after a 20 year or so hiatus, will leaving the documentation number on the boat cause any issues? Should I remove it or just leave it there?

No problem leaving the documentation number there. In fact, I think you should leave it in case someone down the road wants to redocument it. Removing the number may raise questions about the boat's lineage, whether it was stolen at some point, etc. There is also no problem with having a boat that has been removed from documentation. In fact, when a documented boat is sold, it is automatically removed from documentation and doesn't get returned until the new owner files to do so. Normally that's a back-to-back process, but I found this out the hard way when I thought filing the USCG Bill of Sale would also switch the documentation to my name. It didn't.

I've done the documentation paperwork twice myself, and paid someone the third time. If you have time, are detail-oriented, and don't mind doing some research, it can easily be done yourself. But you are still likely to make a mistake or two that will slow the process. If you are in a hurry or are not detail-oriented, then using a documentation agent is money well spent.

My first time I got it all right.

My second time I made a mistake that slowed things a bit, but I had plenty of time so no big deal.

The third time I hired someone because I needed to get it through quickly

There are many excellent documentation agencies and the cost is quite modest. If you've never done it before, I'd recommend using one. They can handle title abstracts, lien searches (yes, UCC liens may fall outside a title abstract), bills of sale and even escrow services on the sale.

:thumb:

If you have to ask the question, you should get a documentation agency. period.

Back
Top Bottom