Puget Sound Broker - LRC focus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RentonRiggos

Vessel Name
Journey
Vessel Make
Queenship
My wife and I split our time currently between the East and West Coasts while we are working. We plan to purchase our next boat within 2-3 years. Our goal is part-time cruising with potential long distances/durations with a desire to cruise both the East and West Coasts. We plan to base the boat in the Puget Sound and are looking for something that is suited to the year round PNW boating environment.

We have some experience boating and a decent concept of what we are looking for in our next boat. We are hoping to move up to the 55-65’ range (3 SR). Age is flexible but we want reliable/newer systems (or priced to allow us to upgrade what is needed). We aren’t afraid of some work but we are not looking for significant deferred maintenance issues. That being said I am also sure that we have blind spots in our thinking and ideas/approaches we haven’t even begun to consider.

We are looking for a broker, knowledgeable in trawlers/long range cruisers with a national focus, based in the Puget Sound area. We would like to begin a discussion on our needs/wants/options and to help identify specific boats/types worth seeing. If anyone has any personal experience with a broker that they would recommend for our pursuit I would appreciate if you could let me know.

Not sure about the national focus, but Eric Blendheim of Fairhaven Yacht Sales, LaConner Washington is who I'd recommend. We bought our current through him. He was the Seller's broker, but he went above and beyond to help us, the buyers. I spoke to him at length, and Eric spent several hours going through the boat on Facetime, until his battery died! He also didn't have any problem with me speaking directly to the Sellers, although he contacted the Sellers first and asked them if it was okay. Spend several more hours over the next few days talking to the Sellers, and Eric, then submitted an offer, then flew out for inspection and survey, the purchased. We're currently living on our boat, which is definitely an LRC. Heading out tomorrow for a 12 day putzing around trip into the San Juan Islands . ..

If you want a more national focus, I would recommend Curtis Stokes & Associates. Curtis is based in Florida, but his agents have nation wide visibility on boats. I've spoken to him on a couple of occasions, and was extremely impressed with his knowledge.

Best of luck in your search. I hope it works out for you! Take care, Scot

What size boat have you been boating on?

I second Fairhaven Yachts, but my recommendation, would be Dan Byrd who has the same qualifications described above. Knowledgeable, helpful, and personable.

Frank Durksen
AAA Yachtfinders
Anacortes
360-770-8685

With 2-3 years time frame to buy I would probably not engage a broker yet.

The reason why is that It would be in my opinion inappropriate to a potential seller to show their boat when you are not going to even consider buying it.

My opinion is that at this point you should be going to boat shows that have new and brokerage boats to walk through.

An excellent source would also be Bananna Belt boats in Anacortes as they have their brokerage inventory set up for browsing on shore.

That experience will give you and your partner a look at different boat configurations and allow you to narrow down your search as time progresses.

Last edited:
With 2-3 years time frame to buy I would probably not engage a broker yet.

The reason why is that It would be in my opinion inappropriate to a potential seller to show their boat when you are not going to even consider buying it.

My opinion is that at this point you should be going to boat shows that have new and brokerage boats to walk through.

An excellent source would also be Bananna Belt boats in Anacortes as they have their brokerage inventory set up for browsing on shore.

That experience will give you and your partner a look at different boat configurations and allow you to narrow down your search as time progresses.

+1 on the Banana Belt recommendation. Ask for Amy Ripley Thornton, she is stellar and incredibly helpful even if you explain you are years away. She has built a reputation and has been involved in several of my purchases/sales.
~A

Yes, but not a deal. We have many acquaintances that have done deals with him, some multiple deals.

I'm currently working with Pete McGonagle at Swiftsure Yachts. I meet him a few years ago and am closing on a purchase next week. The experience has been excellent and the I've never seen an entire office work as a team like they do.

They tend to have more sailboat listings but many of the brokers have commercial maritime backgrounds as well. Pete has a a USCG Unlimited Master’s license, a 100 ton auxiliary sail license and an Unlimited Horsepower engineering license. They are a very knowledgeable honest group.

Another vote for Banana Belt. Great bunch of people there; family owned and operated. Also of note, they allow post-purchase storage in the yard, so if you want to buy a boat, but aren't quite ready to splash it, they're your people.

Back
Top Bottom