Property Taxes on Boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I realize that all states don't have property taxes but for those that do, here is my question.

I've been told that here in Socal if your boat has a separate bedroom and head, it's subject to property tax.
Does that mean that a 28' Cuddy with a head is also subject to a tax?

Does anyone actually know what the rules are regarding the types of boats that are taxable? :angel:

Boat - Property Tax.

I live in So-Cal.

I get charged on property tax -- But here it is not the state - it is the county.

So for So-Cal on the pacific ocean coast - San Diego County, Orange County, L.A. County & Ventura County & Santa Barbara County are the predominate counties that levies the yearly property tax on the coast.

Yes, your 28' Cuddy with a head is also subject to a tax.

You are taxed by where the boat resides.

Hang on to your wallet, as some counties charge more then others.

Good Luck.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

We had a boat in LA County and they never asked for the property tax. We mover it to Orange County and within 3 weeks we got a bill for the tax. Same when we moved it to SD County.

Pretty sure over most, if not all the country, tax is levied by the local govt. not the state. Here in VA, we even have a couple localities that have tax rates so low on boats, it is basically zero.

Yes, your 28' Cuddy with a head is also subject to a tax.

You are taxed by where the boat resides.
I realize the above statements are taxable but what if I have a center consol with an out board? Is this still subject to a property tax? (Not an annual registration....a property tax.)

I realize the above statements are taxable but what if I have a center consol with an out board? Is this still subject to a property tax? (Not an annual registration....a property tax.)

If you have a dinghy with a 3 hp motor on it, it will be registered with the state (state numbers on the bow) and the local community will send you a tax bill.

If you have a dinghy with a 3 hp motor on it, it will be registered with the state (state numbers on the bow) and the local community will send you a tax bill.

In your state that may be the case. Be careful of assuming that all states work this way.

CT: State collects sales tax. No property or use taxes levied on boats.
NH: State collects registration fees. No sales, use or property taxes on boats.
RI: State collects registration fees. No sales, use or property taxes on boats.
MA: State collects sales tax.

In your state that may be the case. Be careful of assuming that all states work this way.

Yes, you are right, but the OP is in California, and pretty sure a motorized dinghy will be charged property tax.

Not all states have property taxes on boats. In Michigan we don’t pay property taxes, just registration.

What about boats that are USCG documented and not registered with the state? Does the local jurisdiction still hunt you down and send a tax bill?

What about boats that are USCG documented and not registered with the state? Does the local jurisdiction still hunt you down and send a tax bill?

From what I understand, some states are very diligent in tracking down documented boats. Others, not so much.
Seems that FL. MD. and NY are pretty good at locating documented boats. Some states even send tax agents walking docks looking for documented boats.

I might ad that most, not all, states require documented boats to be state registered. They have to have a state sticker mounted on the boat, but do not have state numbers.
I'm in VA. One of the few states that do not require state registration. Seems there are only a couple states that don't require registration.

Last edited:
I might ad that most, not all, states require documented boats to be state registered. They have to have a state sticker mounted on the boat, but do not have state numbers.
I'm in VA. One of the few states that do not require state registration. Seems there are only a couple states that don't require registration.

WA also. I had to remove my state stickers and numbers when I became documented.

WA also. I had to remove my state stickers and numbers when I became documented.

Just to be clear, WA does require registration of Documented boats. The do require an annual registration sticker. What they don’t require are the state registration numbers be displayed on the boat.

Just to be clear, WA does require registration of Documented boats. The do require an annual registration sticker. What they don’t require are the state registration numbers be displayed on the boat.

It's not that they don't require state numbers....Coast Guard regulations forbids documented boats from having state numbers. WA is just following federal regulations

Last edited:

MA also has a personal property tax that is applicable to cars and boats. It's relatively inexpensive, but it's there.

Hmmm ... I just went through this with WA DOL. They insisted I couldn't register with the state if I was USCG documented, and hence couldn't get a sticker. Sounded strange, but I've been observing other boats during my dock wanders, and with few exceptions, boats without registration numbers on the bow also don't have stickers.

It's not that they don't require state numbers....Coast Guard regulations forbids documented boats from having state numbers. WA is just following federal regulations

Not quite right. The CG prohibits display of the numbers, they can’t stop states from issuing numbers though. Michigan issues a number in order to get the boat into the system, just can’t put the numbers on the boat. But we do have to display the registration sticker so LE knows we have it registered and sales tax paid.

Hmmm ... I just went through this with WA DOL. They insisted I couldn't register with the state if I was USCG documented, and hence couldn't get a sticker. Sounded strange, but I've been observing other boats during my dock wanders, and with few exceptions, boats without registration numbers on the bow also don't have stickers.

I think you've gotten bad info from an uninformed clerk at DOL. Wa boats are required to register with the state. Numbers need not be displayed but the registration decal must be current and be displayed. I just renewed State registration and Federal documentation so my memory, though often faulty, is pretty fresh on this one.

US Documentation has no impact on property taxes. Property taxes are determined by physical location.

That does seem strange. We've had three documented boats in WA state and all three required registration and display of the annual decal but NOT state registration numbers.

Also - since words matter - let's not confuse "property tax" and "personal property tax". Those are two different references. For WA there is an annual fee equal to .5% of some randomly calculated boat value IIRC. The taxing period runs from July 1 thru Jun 30. When we lived in CA we had a 24' Formula and they chased us for *personal* property tax not (real estate) property tax.

US Documentation has no impact on property taxes. Property taxes are determined by physical location.
Zactly. You can't hide from the State, County and local regs and tax man with Federal documentation.

North Carolina has state registration fees, city property taxes and county property taxes whether you boat is documented or not.

Yeah, bad info. All boat registration stickers in WA expire in June. The state will have folks walk the docks to check on current stickers. It is a strong revenue stream for them. Maybe not this year with COVID, but it happens frequently.

North Carolina has state registration fees, city property taxes and county property taxes whether you boat is documented or not.

Wifey B: Florida has sales tax (with a limit) registration fees but no property taxes on boats. Did I mention no income tax? No, I didn't. But I should so now I will. No income tax and no property taxes on boats. :D

I realize that all states don't have property taxes but for those that do, here is my question.

I've been told that here in Socal if your boat has a separate bedroom and head, it's subject to property tax.

Does anyone actually know what the rules are regarding the types of boats that are taxable? :angel:

In California, you will be charged personal property tax on your boat. It doesn’t matter if it has a head, bedroom, or none of the above. I have been billed (and paid) that tax for my 10’ tender with an outboard, as well as our bigger boat.

In VA you have to pay personal property tax on your boat just like your car. Except if the boat is kept in one of 3 or 4 counties.

The difference is that the PPT on cars is forgiven up to 80%. Boats don't get this treatment. In addition to the county tax, you may also have to pay the town or city tax (locality tax).

If it flies or floats, it’s assessed for property taxes. The San Diego County Assessor’s Office assesses all boats and aircraft located within San Diego County annually for property tax purposes.

TAX Bills

We are USCG documented and I can assure you that they had no problem finding for the tax bill.:hide:

Just paid the annual taxes on the boat and its rented berth, both at the same tax rate as a "dirt" home. Fortunately, the tax rate where the boat is located is slightly lower than my dirt home in an adjacent county, helping to offset the $6 bridge toll/tax to commute between them. "They" get you coming and going as well when just existing.

There is house/land property tax and boat airplane property tax in California. If you are in SoCal, go to your county website and look up boat tax. It is different from the property tax you pay on your house. I have never in the 3 counties in Calif I have paid tax on boat ownership seen any consideration regarding sleeping quarters or heads. The boat tax is simply based on the purchase price of the boat (and sometimes adds the sales tax to the purchase price) for an assesses value.

Back
Top Bottom