Please teach me about documented vessels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
So I am seeing a few post on documented vessels, what are they? Why is it better than a registered vessel. And is there a certain size of boat that should be one way or the other?
Why is there even an option?

The short version is that there are two main reasons for a vessel being federally documented as opposed to state registered.

1. For international travel, another country doesn't give a damn about your home state. They recognize the US flag, and that's the legal registration that they expect to find on your vessel. This doesn't apply to Canada and Mexico, of course.

2. For vessels purchased under a preferred marine mortgage, the lender requires federal documentation.

Other than that, the only real reason nowadays for pleasure vessels is prestige. In the old days a documented vessel didn't need to be registered with the state, but now it must be (in all states now I believe). My documented sailboat in the 80s didn't even need a state registration sticker, but now it would, though the state numbers don't need to be displayed.

The short version is that there are two main reasons for a vessel being federally documented as opposed to state registered.

1. For international travel, another country doesn't give a damn about your home state. They recognize the US flag, and that's the legal registration that they expect to find on your vessel. This doesn't apply to Canada and Mexico, of course.

2. For vessels purchased under a preferred marine mortgage, the lender requires federal documentation.

Other than that, the only real reason nowadays for pleasure vessels is prestige. In the old days a documented vessel didn't need to be registered with the state, but now it must be (in all states now I believe). My documented sailboat in the 80s didn't even need a state registration sticker, but now it would, though the state numbers don't need to be displayed.

+1. There really isn’t any reason to document a boat unless you have a loan or going to travel to other countries.

Agree with above and would add that if documented you will have a USCG issued title as apposed to your state issuing one. Some say more secure but not much different for US recreational boats other than an additional fee and paperwork.

Most countries only have one form of registration. It's the equivalent of Documentation in the US. In the US, states have registration. We also have federal Documentation.

Now Documentation can only be used on boats over 5 tons and that's tons measured in volume, not weight. Also, some states still require registration even if a boat is documented. If a boat is just registered in a state it will have numbers on it. If it's documented it will not have numbers but if also registered will have a state decal.

Reasons for documentation.

-The primary reason is to be able to record a mortgage. Lenders require it.
-International use is a secondary reason. The state registration is accepted in most places, but it may not be accepted as quickly by some agents. It's just not what some agents in some countries are expecting or consider official.
-Now, while some do it for pride, a reason we do it is one a lot of people choose. We do not like the looks of the long string of numbers on both sides of a boat. The way to avoid that is documentation. It only costs $26 per year and to us, it's worth that.

About the only advantage that I know of is that you do not need to have registration numbers on the bow. You still pay the state registration fee but you only need to display the 2 inch by 2 inch sticker on the stern.

There is a Coast Guard or Homeland Security website where you can look up any documented boat by name and find its home port and owner, also size and make of the boat. Kind of fun.

pete

About the only advantage that I know of is that you do not need to have registration numbers on the bow. You still pay the state registration fee but you only need to display the 2 inch by 2 inch sticker on the stern.

There is a Coast Guard or Homeland Security website where you can look up any documented boat by name and find its home port and owner, also size and make of the boat. Kind of fun.

pete

First of all, there are a few states that do not require documented boats to be state registered. I'm in VA and have never registered my documented boat.

If you are in a state that requires you to register, I'm 99% sure that little 3 x 3 sticker has to go on the side of the boat, NOT on the stern.

First of all, there are a few states that do not require documented boats to be state registered. I'm in VA and have never registered my documented boat.

If you are in a state that requires you to register, I'm 99% sure that little 3 x 3 sticker has to go on the side of the boat, NOT on the stern.

You are correct.

Don't know of any look-up tools that still include owner info anymore...

-Chris

Don't know of any look-up tools that still include owner info anymore...

-Chris

Pretty sure the CG stopped that a year or more ago. I'm guessing they got so many complaints about scammers sending out renewal notices, they figured this would be a good way to slow them down and eventually stop the scammers.
Since the scammers stayed one step of the law ahead of being totally dishonest, the CG could not legally stop them.

Thank you for the info everyone

Just to clarify the "Documentation Required for a Loan", that is partially accurate. A lender requires they be listed as a lien holder on a title. Not all states title boats. If you're in a state that titles boats, it is not always required.

If you are in a state that doesn't titles boats, then the lender requires you document your vessel. The USCG vessel documentation also issue a title for the vessel, which the lender can be listed as a lien holder.

I've heard that some lenders simply have a blanket policy that requires USCG documentation so as not to vary the policy from state to state.

Last edited:
Another interesting thing is state police can't just barge aboard your vessel, US Federal Marshals can as well as USCG. I have always had a thing about harbor cops thinking they have the right to push boats around. I have found that most local law enforcement tend to stay away from documented vessels.

Just to clarify the "Documentation Required for a Loan", that is partially accurate. A lender requires they be listed as a lien holder on a title. Not all states title boats. If you're in a state that titles boats, it is not always required.

If you are in a state that doesn't titles boats, then the lender requires you document your vessel. The USCG vessel documentation also issue a title for the vessel, which the lender can be listed as a lien holder.

I've heard that some lenders simply have a blanket policy that requires USCG documentation so as not to vary the policy from state to state.

Lenders will often require documentation even if the state has titles for boat. It protects them a little more as a Title works like an Auto Title does but documentation works like a mortgage on a home. Documentation also provides them protection outside the country in the event of non-payment as the boat itself is under the jurisdiction of the USCG wherever it is.

Nor any island nation in the Caribbean that I have heard of. They are all familiar with U.S. state registration.

Another interesting thing is state police can't just barge aboard your vessel...
Actually, in a lot of places, they can. Here in Florida the FWC and all of the local police agencies that I am aware of, are authorized to act as agents of the USCG when it comes to safety inspections and enforcing marine laws and regulations. And they do.

Another interesting thing is state police can't just barge aboard your vessel, US Federal Marshals can as well as USCG. I have always had a thing about harbor cops thinking they have the right to push boats around. I have found that most local law enforcement tend to stay away from documented vessels.

My experience is that most harbor cops don't even understand what Federal Documentation IS, much less how far their authority goes. I've always been courteous and tried to help them to understand their job and authority instead of being confrontational, and only once had a problem. And that was with a Hawaii State DLNR guy back in 1997 when Hawaii couldn't require state registration . . . Didn't end well for the guys ego . . . :nonono:

I don't believe this to be true.

Documentation does nothing to protect you from state laws.

I believe it says that right on the USCG documentation site.

Federal documentation has no effect on the authority of state or local law enforcement. If in their jurisdiction and they have authority under state law they can stop, board, etc. any documented or state registered vessel.

A documented vessel is like a territory of the US. The navy and marines can rescue vessels in foreign waters taken in piracy or governments acting illegally. A state registered vessel illegally taken is a police matter.

Having worked on commercial vessels for most of my life, and the holder of a USCG Master Unlimited License, Upon Oceans, I have never seen a State or local police officer from any department allowed on a commercial ship, with US documentation. They may think that they can barge aboard, but documentation vessels can only be boarded by USCG and US Marshals without permission.

The harbor cops in Hawaii have mostly been a joke and it is sad that the boating community has to paid for incompetence. Since I grew up in Hawaii, I know how they have operated for many years.

A documented vessel is like a territory of the US. The navy and marines can rescue vessels in foreign waters taken in piracy or governments acting illegally. A state registered vessel illegally taken is a police matter.

Sorry, not so. A documented vessel is not "territory" of the US, documentation simply identifies the citizenship of the vessel itself as a "US vessel" which in the case of traveling outside the US may facilitate customs clearance and afford some other general protections that another country may grant to foreign vessels in their waters. Documentation normally affords no special privileges regarding the laws and law enforcement whether in state or foreign waters. Except for some well recognized principles of international law (for example "innocent passage") any vessel whether US documented or state registered is fully subject to the jurisdiction of the nation who's waters it is in. As noted in other posts, documentation is simply a form of federal recognition and titling. There may be some advantages traveling outside the US and some financial considerations (mortgages, taxation, titles) but it is clearly not considered "US territory" under either US or international law. As to the "navy and marines rescuing" documented vessels and not state registered, that statement has no basis in law. Action by the "navy and marines" is unlikely in any case and certainly not against action taken by a government against the vessel.

Last edited:
Having worked on commercial vessels for most of my life, and the holder of a USCG Master Unlimited License, Upon Oceans, I have never seen a State or local police officer from any department allowed on a commercial ship, with US documentation. They may think that they can barge aboard, but documentation vessels can only be boarded by USCG and US Marshals without permission.

The harbor cops in Hawaii have mostly been a joke and it is sad that the boating community has to paid for incompetence. Since I grew up in Hawaii, I know how they have operated for many years.

Documentation affords no immunity from local law enforcement to either recreational or commercial vessels. Local law enforcement generally does not enjoy the broad boarding authority the CG possesses (for example, boarding without a warrant), but if state law permits they can certainly enforce state laws on US documented vessels. It may be that local "harbor cops" generally don't engage with commercial vessels, doesn't mean they cannot.

Back
Top Bottom