Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Guru
 
City: Bayfield, WI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 527
Offer required to SEE the boat?

Bear with the long description please. I'm wondering if this is "common".

I saw a boat on yachtworld that I was potentially interested in, but I couldn't really say for sure because there were only FIVE pictures. There were zero of the engine room, zero of the saloon, zero of the cockpit, zero of the flybridge, zero of the foredeck, and only one of the two heads. So I emailed the broker asking for more info and pictures.

He got back with info (but no pictures) and his sales pitch of "get down here immediately and see it because it will be gone soon!" (yeah, right). I replied that I was in no position to buy the boat because I'm still trying to sell mine, and that I was simply collecting information so that I'd be prepared should something fall into place. He asked for details on my boat (which I provided) and soon replied that the owner was interested in including my boat in trade as part of a deal.

Now my boat has been on the market awhile so that caught my attention. And we were willing to travel to see it because I've never been on this model boat before, and even if I don't buy this one, I'd like to see whether it really meets my needs at all. So I asked to set an appointment to see the boat, assuming that offers and surveys and sea trials and negotiations would follow should it prove to be "all that".

He replied that I couldn't see the boat unless I made a written offer first.

I replied that I had no idea what to offer as I had no idea of the condition. Also all of the travel was at my expense, and the owner wasn't "holding the boat for me" or anything, so I couldn't imagine a reason why an offer would be required. He replied that it was "for my own protection - to keep the price from going up" and that it kept joyriders off the boat. Like I'm going to spend $1200 in airfare for my wife and I to tour his 25 year old boat (and we hadn't asked for a sea trial). He said that this is completely common and standard practice. He wouldn't provide any additional pictures to help fill in my knowledge gap however.

Now I completely understand that the offer is conditional and that it obligates me to nothing. But this high pressure tactic, along with the secrecy of the photos, just gave me a really bad feeling about this whole thing - enough that I was no longer willing to spend my money to travel there just to get disappointed and railroaded into a deal.

So - is that "common practice" to require a written offer for someone to even see a boat?

Thanks
BD
__________________
Advertisement

BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,539
"So - is that "common practice" to require a written offer for someone to even see a boat?"

No - we have bought a dozen boats over the years and seen maybe 10X that many , never has this occurred.
__________________

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
Guru
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,239
Nope- not common at all.

The brokers I've dealt show the vessel to the prospective buyer, but the systems (engines, genset, etc) are not energized until after there is a contract in place.
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Guru
 
Crusty Chief's Avatar
 
City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,614
Think I’d pass on that one, sounds way too shaky to me!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
Guru
 
MV Wanderlust's Avatar
 
City: Lakeland
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 568
Definitely not common practice. The whole interaction you outlined smells a bit fishy. There are so many good boats out there, especially this time of year when people would rather sell than put up for the winter. Your gut instinct is telling you something is wrong. Listen to it and move on to the next candidate.

John
__________________
John and Deb Easley
John - USCG 50 ton Master
1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52' CPMY
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Florida
Country: usa
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,083
I'd pass on the boat just because of the broker...or offer 10k, now let me aboard plz!
__________________
Jack ...Chicken of the sea! 1600 ton Master of towing/Oceans. 1600 ton Master/Oceans.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 18,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Bear with the long description please. I'm wondering if this is "common".

I saw a boat on yachtworld that I was potentially interested in, but I couldn't really say for sure because there were only FIVE pictures. There were zero of the engine room, zero of the saloon, zero of the cockpit, zero of the flybridge, zero of the foredeck, and only one of the two heads. So I emailed the broker asking for more info and pictures.

He got back with info (but no pictures) and his sales pitch of "get down here immediately and see it because it will be gone soon!" (yeah, right). I replied that I was in no position to buy the boat because I'm still trying to sell mine, and that I was simply collecting information so that I'd be prepared should something fall into place. He asked for details on my boat (which I provided) and soon replied that the owner was interested in including my boat in trade as part of a deal.

Now my boat has been on the market awhile so that caught my attention. And we were willing to travel to see it because I've never been on this model boat before, and even if I don't buy this one, I'd like to see whether it really meets my needs at all. So I asked to set an appointment to see the boat, assuming that offers and surveys and sea trials and negotiations would follow should it prove to be "all that".

He replied that I couldn't see the boat unless I made a written offer first.

I replied that I had no idea what to offer as I had no idea of the condition. Also all of the travel was at my expense, and the owner wasn't "holding the boat for me" or anything, so I couldn't imagine a reason why an offer would be required. He replied that it was "for my own protection - to keep the price from going up" and that it kept joyriders off the boat. Like I'm going to spend $1200 in airfare for my wife and I to tour his 25 year old boat (and we hadn't asked for a sea trial). He said that this is completely common and standard practice. He wouldn't provide any additional pictures to help fill in my knowledge gap however.

Now I completely understand that the offer is conditional and that it obligates me to nothing. But this high pressure tactic, along with the secrecy of the photos, just gave me a really bad feeling about this whole thing - enough that I was no longer willing to spend my money to travel there just to get disappointed and railroaded into a deal.

So - is that "common practice" to require a written offer for someone to even see a boat?

Thanks
BD
I would not trust that broker at all. Something going on and whatever it is, I don't like it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
GoneFarrell's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 361
Not common practice, but I've seen it happen.

Last year we looked at a boat in Sausalito, CA. Broker said we had to make an offer before he would even allow starting the engine at the dock! Wouldn't have started anyway, the batteries were dead! And the boat was covered with gull poop, hadn't been cleaned in some time.

We walked away from that one for sure, broker had no clue. Recc you do the same.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 18,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
Not common practice, but I've seen it happen.

Last year we looked at a boat in Sausalito, CA. Broker said we had to make an offer before he would even allow starting the engine at the dock! Wouldn't have started anyway, the batteries were dead! And the boat was covered with gull poop, hadn't been cleaned in some time.

We walked away from that one for sure, broker had no clue. Recc you do the same.
There's a big difference in the two though. I can understand a broker not starting the engines. Often they are not authorized to do so. I cannot understand expecting an offer from someone who has only seen it online.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #10
Guru
 
LaBomba's Avatar
 
City: Beaverton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,241
You have got your answer already from the others. Forget it and look for another with a reputable broker and happy hunting.
__________________
Allan
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #11
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would not trust that broker at all. Something going on and whatever it is, I don't like it.
They want a written offer for a walk though? Just keep on walking but this time, away.
__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
Which weather app did Noah and Columbus use?
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Sea Q's Avatar


 
City: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 189
It's common on larger boats .
You have to get full pic's of the boat and descriptions before you even go this far .
You put down a deposit and then arrange sea trials with a surveyor .
If the boat s not as advertised the owner has to fix it.
or drop the price of the boat .
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #13
Guru
 
City: Bayfield, WI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 527
Thank you all for reinforcing my gut feelings on this. I really appreciated his initiative to talk to the owner about including my boat in the deal, but then he's taken this "close 'em" thing WAY too far to make me comfortable.

He says he has two other people looking this week (which means multiple offers?). My response was "well if they get it, then great for them. If not the boat will still be there next spring when I'm ready to move it".

The silver lining has been that it gave me the idea to reach out to the owner of another boat that I AM interested in to see if he might also be willing to include my boat as a trade. Turns out he is! Flying out Thursday night to look at it (without even making an offer!).

Thanks all.
BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #14
Guru
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Thank you all for reinforcing my gut feelings on this. I really appreciated his initiative to talk to the owner about including my boat in the deal, but then he's taken this "close 'em" thing WAY too far to make me comfortable.

He says he has two other people looking this week (which means multiple offers?). My response was "well if they get it, then great for them. If not the boat will still be there next spring when I'm ready to move it".

The silver lining has been that it gave me the idea to reach out to the owner of another boat that I AM interested in to see if he might also be willing to include my boat as a trade. Turns out he is! Flying out Thursday night to look at it (without even making an offer!).

Thanks all.
BD
Good on ya!

Anytime the used car sales tactics come out, walk away.
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #15
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5,235
I had a guy interested in my N46. His surveyor and potential buyer spent about an hour going through boat plus a significant time backing down the boat in circles. The only thing I charged him was the price of him hauling the boat and pressure washing for the out of water survey. He decided against the purchase.
No problem, it was a nice day on the water.
__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
Which weather app did Noah and Columbus use?
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7,533
We are on our 23rd boat and have never run into anything like that, I would walk away as it seems you are. Good for you.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you aren’t one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
Guru
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Oconto, WI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,115
Personally, I don't think I would want to attempt to make a deal which included a trade. You KNOW you are going to get "beat up" on what they will offer you for the trade. Maybe an exception if your boat is really in Bristol condition, but if it is, selling should't be a problem.

I say "walk on it"

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #18
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Personally, I don't think I would want to attempt to make a deal which included a trade. You KNOW you are going to get "beat up" on what they will offer you for the trade. Maybe an exception if your boat is really in Bristol condition, but if it is, selling should't be a problem.

I say "walk on it"

pete
Likely true but I think I'd play his game...
Tell the broker you are ready to make an offer but need him to do the same on your trade. Written offer of how much they will take off the trade.
I'm sure your instincts are correct and not worth a flight but would be interesting to see what his offer would be... or more likely his story of why that's not possible.
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #19
Guru
 
City: Bayfield, WI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 527
In this case the target boats are worth 6x the value of my boat. If their boat has been on the market for a long time, an owner may decide that it's better to get 80% of their cash now plus an asset that they may be able to convert, instead of waiting who knows how long for an offer that may only be 80% of what they want anyway.

Speaking as someone who's had their boat on the market for two seasons now, you become highly motivated to move it.

In the case of my trip Thursday, the owner is a captain that does "party cruise" charters and bareboat rental for his smaller craft. My 29' cabin cruiser could fill a nice niche for him.
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #20
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Country: United States
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,573
You may want to keep an eye on the boat. The current owner may see the broker's true colors and re-list it with another broker some time down the road.
__________________

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×