Old 10-05-2020, 10:10 AM   #1

City: Houston
The Offer...

I have my eye on a boat that is being offered at $249,500. It is in excellent condition, having been prepped by the Owner for a major trip. All new everything from tinned copper wiring to all new B&G instruments to a complete bottom job.

But: itís above my price point. Had been on the market for almost a year. (Itís above market but probably should be)

Is $175,000 offensive? Thatís about 30% off. The owner isnít hurting for money - he owns a boat yard. He had a stroke and can no longer travel, thus the sale. Should I go really low? $160,000?

CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
All he can do is say no. But the offer seems low. I would try to back it up with comparable boat sales if possible, so not to be blatantly offensive.

drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Offer what you can. Doesn’t matter if it’s offensive, it’s what you have to offer. If it’s rejected so what. You tried.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Do you know the man well enough to have a conversation with him?

Are you financing? If you were not is one option to pay the cash you were going to, and have him finance the rest - given that he has a marine business?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Offer what you can. Doesnít matter if itís offensive, itís what you have to offer. If itís rejected so what. You tried.
Make your off and if he rejects it, start looking again.
There will always be another boat.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Absolutely make the offer.

But first do some ground work. You need to get friendly with him and plant the idea that it's a bit overpriced. This may take several steps.

I might first start out (after several talks about whatever)..... "even though the boat is a bit above my price point, can I come and see it?" If he says absolutely not, I'm firm....wait awhile, and call again, and perhaps a bit more gently work on the price.

Perhaps ask him about "holding costs".... storage, insurance, etc.

Now, as winter approaches, puts you in a better spot.

I have used the line, "what is your rock bottom cash price if I bought it today?".... gets them thinking.

Negotiating is an art and needs to be worked on.

There's TONS of reasons he should come down on his price, and sell to you.

You need to convince him of that.... AND you need to convince him to like you.

Be real careful NOT to offend him, and don't say anything bad about him.. like he did a lousy job of xxxx or he should have done xxxx.

And, often there is a sense of urgency.... "I can act fast.... be there in a few hours with my mechanic and if reasonable will transfer money this afternoon." sometimes work (but have to work the logistics). Could be.... "I be on a plane tomorrow, have a surveyor lined up and complete the sale in 3 days". Occasionally takes some leg work, but can get the job done.

BUT FIRST, spend a lot of time talking and getting to know him, and him getting to know you.

Now, a 30% drop is a bit, but certainly not heard of. I've done it MANY times with boats, houses, planes.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Make the offer.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Make the offer.

pete

Pete,
Totally agree, but with that much difference, I could argue strongly to "set the stage".... if he wants to get it.

Oh, forgot to mention, with a broker, makes it MUCH harder. Really need to talk to the owner... and visit with him.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Our previous owner was asking $220,000. Private party sale. It had been listed with a broker for $280,000, then $260,000, then $240,000. He cut the broker loose. A year later I offered him $175,000. We met, talked, and settled on $180,000. The boat later surveyed for $220,000. Go ahead and make the offer.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I would certainly make the offer. I would set it as this is what I can afford, not that your boat isnít worth the asking. What have you got to loose?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Older boats that have major refit are usually worth only a small percentage of the cost of the upgrades unless brand new and all warranties are transferable and labor intensive improvements are significant, not simple cosmetics.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Your seller has a lot invested, not just in the boat, but in his dreams and plans that involved this boat. He may agree to accept less than he thinks it's worth, but he'll have to feel comfortable that he's not selling to some random bottom-feeder. Convince him that you recognize the value, that the boat is what you really want, and that it is going to a responsible owner who will use it for what it's meant to do. Then let him know what you feel you can afford. Then listen.

By the way, owning a boat yard is no guarantee that someone has a boat load of money.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:34 PM   #13
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I've bought two boats where my initial offer was rejected. I resubmitted the same offer along with a letter explaining how nice his boat looks and you can appreciate what great care he has taken of it. I sent along some pictures of my current boat that showed I took the same great care of it as he had with his boat.

I then explained that his boat was priced above what I could afford and, while I'd like to have his boat, my offer was all I could afford to finance.

Both times the seller accepted my offer.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #14
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Old timers I hang out with that have lots of experience with buying and selling boats joke...always take the first offer you get if within 30% or so of your asking price.....why?

Because much of the time the seller accepts that original offer price or slightly lower a year or so later...and after paying all kinds of bills that year to store, clean, etc....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Old timers I hang out with that have lots of experience with buying and selling boats joke...always take the first offer you get if within 30% or so of your asking price.....why?

Because much of the time the seller accepts that original offer price or slightly lower a year or so later...and after paying all kinds of bills that year to store, clean, etc....

Good point!
Old 10-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Make the offer. My guess is that in this market, he's had other offers. Likely he will counter with maybe as low as the highest offer he has received or his bottom line minimum. Not sure how much you can go below market value without getting a simple no.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:05 PM   #17
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
I have my eye on a boat that is being offered at $249,500. It is in excellent condition, having been prepped by the Owner for a major trip. All new everything from tinned copper wiring to all new B&G instruments to a complete bottom job.

But: itís above my price point. Had been on the market for almost a year. (Itís above market but probably should be)

Is $175,000 offensive? Thatís about 30% off. The owner isnít hurting for money - he owns a boat yard. He had a stroke and can no longer travel, thus the sale. Should I go really low? $160,000?
email me the model & year ... boatpoker@gmail.com
I'll respond with the soldboats.com data
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Determine where the market is for that boat. Then determine what a reasonable offer should be. You can tweak based on condition, equipment, etc. "Because he doesn't need the money" is never a good basis for an offer. "Owner is in poor health" is another poor variable for making an offer. In fact, the latter is worse, you have no idea what his medical bills look like. Just because he owns a marina, doesn't mean he makes a huge salary. Marinas can be financial liabilities. There are farmers who own multi-million dollar farms, with millions in machinery and assets who are living at the poverty level.

A good deal is one in which both parties walk away happy. Be careful that you sound a little like an opportunist.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #19

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Sunrise
Vessel Model: Gemini 105mc
Send a message via Skype™ to The Brockerts
After the first offer that is rejected, it's just simple math problem, i.e what will I have to accept 90 days from now, rejected offer + Costs and it just keeps going up.

The Brockert
The Brockerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #20
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
To me it depends on how badly you want this boat. If you really don't care if the offer is rejected and you have to go elsewhere, offer as low as you want. Who knows you may get it (or for close to your offer). However, if you would really be unhappy to lose this boat, then you want to be careful not to insult the seller at the start. In that case, like SeeVee (and others) have stated, some ground work is needed with the seller. Knowing comparable sales would help, and offering close to your top affordable price (and telling that info to seller) may help the seller "get there", again assuming the object is obtaining "this" boat. If the boat has been on the market for that long (it is supposedly a "hot market" with boats selling well) then the boat is currently not a good deal or the owner is not open to what may have been offered so far. Sometimes as time passes and the seller really wants to sell, he will become more motivated. Ongoing costs (for the seller) do add up. Eg. I spend almost $10,000 per year just on moorage and insurance, with maintenance and cleaning adding to the cost in both time and money.

Good luck whatever you decide.