Old 10-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #21

City: Wakefield
I would frame your offer more as " I realize this is under your asking price but this is our budget" or similar. If he rejects it then tell him your offer stands and please keep you and the offer in mind. Reminding him of holding costs etc. will only annoy him - he's a boatyard owner so is well aware of his holding costs. I'd stay away from suggesting he's overpriced, he'll likely take that as an insult to his boat knowledge.

Snug Harbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Sarah McLean
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot
this is a very interesting scenario we have all been through.. some of us more than others (me) and on both sides of this deal.
one important consideration is how nice is the boat and how much would it cost to find another one that has not been cared for. around here it is very expensive to upgrade an old boat.
whatever you do, pls give us some followup on what happened.
cant wait to hear. good luck

adornato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Portland
LOW BALL or

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
I have my eye on a boat that is being offered at $249,500. It is in excellent condition, having been prepped by the Owner for a major trip. All new everything from tinned copper wiring to all new B&G instruments to a complete bottom job.

But: itís above my price point. Had been on the market for almost a year. (Itís above market but probably should be)

Is $175,000 offensive? Thatís about 30% off. The owner isnít hurting for money - he owns a boat yard. He had a stroke and can no longer travel, thus the sale. Should I go really low? $160,000?
How do you know, "isn't hurting for money"?

Why do you think you should pay the least amount of money for the best "your words" one out there?

Don't be surprised if he charges you for the haulout (where else would you go)?
If you find anything! Sorry "you can only dip into the well, one time"!

Make him an offer of what you WILL pay! No haggle, walk away or shake hands on a deal!

Good luck, Jim
Jimintheair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #24

City: Stuart, Fl
“Mr. boat owner, I really feel bad about this, but I haven’t found anything worthy that’s in my price range. Yours is so amazing, that I just have to take a chance and hopefully you’ll be comfortable enough with how well I’ll take care of it, and have no plans of reselling. So here goes.... I can only offer you 175K”
Or similar to this. Don’t reference anything you’d ever change. It’s perfect for you and your family. “My wife will cry from happiness for hours and hours”
Yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtman View Post
ďMr. boat owner, ........ hopefully youíll be comfortable enough with how well Iíll take care of it, and have no plans of reselling.
Why should a seller lose money to ensure that the buyer will take care of the boat the BUYER owns, or that the buyer will continue to own the boat in perpetuity? How are either a motivator for the seller??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #26
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I still care about my boats even after I sell them. I might be willing to take a bit less money if I thought that the new owner was going to take really good care of the boat. I usually stay in contact with the buyers sometimes for years. I am in contact with the second owner for a boat that I sold 5 years ago. He will contact me with questions about how I did this or that. It saves him time trying to figure out what/how I did something. He has said that if I put my current boat up for sale to contact him first because of how I refurbished the boat he bought from the guy that I sold it to. So it may not help to try to convince the seller that you will take good care of the boat, but it might.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I could literally care less if, once the check cleared, the buyer took a torch to the car, boat or house that they now legally own.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #28
Guru

Well, I guess everyone is different. But I see no downside to telling the seller you are going to take good care of the boat. They may not care like you but they might care like me. Either way it isnít going to hurt anything.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #29
Guru

City: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Well, I guess everyone is different. But I see no downside to telling the seller you are going to take good care of the boat. They may not care like you but they might care like me. Either way it isnít going to hurt anything.

Well said, Dave. I totally agree. We will probably not go below our "must have" price if we like the perspective buyers, but if the buyer's are really jerks, it's pretty much a given that we won't budge much, if any, off of our published asking price either . . . like you said, everyone is different.

And besides, can't think of any down side thinking things will go more smoothly if you're nice to them, and let them know you will take good care of whatever they are selling.

Isn't that what you're supposed to do anyway? Take care of what you spend your money one?!? Don't see a down side of letting sellers know that . . . .
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #30
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
While I may not drop my price for a buyer with whom I sympathize, I would bend-over backwards to help them be in the best possible position at closing. Best case for a jerk would be he'd get a boat with exactly zero beyond what he contractually agreed to versus all sorts of goodies and instructions I might be inclined to leave behind for a grateful new owner. Figuring out the starting sequence? List of IP Addresses for the myriad of network gear? Mr. Jerk is on his own......

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #31
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Comodave,

I've had that technique work MANY times. Getting to know the seller IS a big part of negotiating. People do business with people they like and you want to be liked by your seller.

There's lots of ways to get into the sellers head, get him to understand your situation. You are selling yourself as a buyer to the seller.

I've had situations where the first contact was polite but the seller wouldn't budge a dime, so I always ask, "do you mind if I call again incase you've changed your mind... rarely do they say no.

I've also had sellers ask me how am I gonna take care of it. Yes, some are concerned how you'll take care of their past toy.

I've rarely purchased anything for asking, but there are exceptions. And at times I've gotten as much as 50% below asking, and quite often 25%. And, yes, there's a lot of buyers out there that overprice their boat because they think it's special, or they want all their money back they put in maintenance, fix up etc., which rarely happens.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #32
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I'll be watching this thread. Let us know how the negotiations go.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #33
Guru

Yes, please keep us informed as to how it goes. And if you do get the boat then we absolutely will need many photos...