Old 01-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #1
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Notification of Satisfaction of Mortgage?

I paid off my loan on my boat last April, and received a copy of the application for "Satisfaction of Mortgage" that my lender sent to USCG. I just realized that I've never received anything from the USCG that indicates that they've indeed processed that request and removed the lien.

Does anyone know - do they notify you when they've processed that? Or is it just executed and closed?

Thanks,
BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have called them in the past when it seemed to take too long and they happily gave me a status on my documentation. However the government being shutdown they may not be manned. They are doing automated renewals but they probably are not doing new documentations. But I would try to call.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I paid off a boat loan on a boat a dozen or more years ago. I got a copy of the same thing you did from my lender but nothing from the CG to indicate it was acted upon.

I was a little concerned when I sold the boat, but it went through fine so it must have been recorded by the CG.

So, the only way I know to be sure that the CG has removed the mortgage is to apply for an abstract of title. That will tell you for sure.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
I paid off my loan on my boat last April, and received a copy of the application for "Satisfaction of Mortgage" that my lender sent to USCG. I just realized that I've never received anything from the USCG that indicates that they've indeed processed that request and removed the lien.

Does anyone know - do they notify you when they've processed that? Or is it just executed and closed?

Thanks,
BD
IIRC prior to the shutdown they were very far behind on recording satisfactions...now good luck... you can email them and ask or pay $25 for an abstract of title.
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I'd apply for the abstract of title, but you might wait awhile for the CG to catch up to the bank.

I have a horror story on this: sold a boat, which I had originally had a loan on but which had been paid off for at least 10 years. Bank did not clear the title with the CG as it turned out. Bank was Tango Uniform by that time and the assets had been passed through so many different banks and entities in the ensuing 10 years that it was nearly impossible to track down. Coast Guard says we cannot clear title until someone at some bank says it's been paid (didn't really care who). After several weeks of phone calls, finally found someone at some bank that may have had some of the assets of the original bank willing to sign it off.

Keep the paperwork clean.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #6

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
CG posts all docs on record. They all stay there. When abstract is obtained all ships mortgages and satisfactions will show. CG is only repository of docs. Get it posted you're done.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
BD is your vessel Documented?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
Guru

Yes it is documented.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillroy View Post
CG posts all docs on record. They all stay there. When abstract is obtained all ships mortgages and satisfactions will show. CG is only repository of docs. Get it posted you're done.
I'm sorry but I'm not aware of where these are posted. I haven't seen anything like that on the site. Could you push me in the right direction?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #10

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
USCG documentation center ...log on insert doc number to bring up boat. To see all docs buy abstract for small fee and they send you email with all docs of record pretty simple and easy.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #11

City: Toronto
I think it's one of the best feelings you can ever have about your mortgage.
southom is offline   Reply With Quote