Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Ftbinc's Avatar
 
City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Oma
Vessel Model: Manatee
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 96
Need to re-title boat to our trusts

Hi All:

Looking for guidance. We have updated our trust documents and need to re-document the boat in the name of the trusts. Has anyone done this recently? what is involved? the boat is in each of our names currently and we want to re-document in the names of the trust instead.

Any help is always appreciated.

Paul
OMA - KK Manatee
USCG 50 Ton Master
US Sailing Certified Judge
__________________
Advertisement

Ftbinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 18,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftbinc View Post
Hi All:

Looking for guidance. We have updated our trust documents and need to re-document the boat in the name of the trusts. Has anyone done this recently? what is involved? the boat is in each of our names currently and we want to re-document in the names of the trust instead.

Any help is always appreciated.

Paul
OMA - KK Manatee
USCG 50 Ton Master
US Sailing Certified Judge
You say document so I'm assuming it is a documented boat. In this case, it's simply a transfer, no different than a sale or any other transfer.

Now, if your state requires registration, you'll have to fill out paperwork there to transfer it, often just on the back of the registration, but you may have to show further evidence that it's not a sale subject to sales tax. This may or may not change any property tax situation depending on the state.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member
 
Berwick's Avatar
 
City: Houma, LA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Jefferson Marquessa 60'
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 31
You also need to make sure your insurance policy is changed to reflect the new owner, the trust. I suggest you add yourself as an additional insured for liability purposes. Hopefully this is something you discussed with a trust and estate professional in your state as there may be tax and insurability consequences placing assets such as a vessel in trust. Also, depending on the trust provisions, getting the vessel out of trust could be problematic. As stated in the previous post if your vessel is federally documented all you need to do is a transfer and re document with the NVDC (dco.uscg.mil). State requirements vary by state so you will need to check your home state for that answer.
Berwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Guru
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berwick View Post
You also need to make sure your insurance policy is changed to reflect the new owner, the trust. I suggest you add yourself as an additional insured for liability purposes. Hopefully this is something you discussed with a trust and estate professional in your state as there may be tax and insurability consequences placing assets such as a vessel in trust. Also, depending on the trust provisions, getting the vessel out of trust could be problematic. As stated in the previous post if your vessel is federally documented all you need to do is a transfer and re document with the NVDC (dco.uscg.mil). State requirements vary by state so you will need to check your home state for that answer.
Exactly.

The policy follows the named insured on the title, so if there is a claim, any settlement will be quick and easy vice wrangling its way thru a court system to ascertain who the beneficial owner actually is.
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
gsholz's Avatar
 
City: PDX
Country: Northwest
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 316
I wouldn't put boats, cars or other depreciating assets into a trust. A lot of paper work for little benefit. Just sell them when you are done with them.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: Boston
Country: US
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 795
If this is USCG documentation you can transfer via form CG-1258. There is a section related to trust. If this is an irrevocable estate planning trust for medicaid purposes you will no longer be able to sell the boat. Only the trustee will have that authority. Make sure you have a couple of trustees so one can't do anything crazy.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
Guru
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
I wouldn't put boats, cars or other depreciating assets into a trust. A lot of paper work for little benefit. Just sell them when you are done with them.
There a quite a few advantages- taxes, legal liability, sale of the vessel, and more.
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mark P's Avatar
 
City: Hilton Head Island
Country: United States
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 2017 280 SLX
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 186
Be careful putting an asset (depreciating as others have said) in a trust that can generate or create huge liability. Generally folks put assets in trust to protect them from being taken by a creditor or for tax reasons etc. I have no idea of your boat but let's assume for discussion It's worth putting in a trust (e.g. Ocean Alexander 75 ft) if it sinks with 15 folks on board, the trust as owner could face huge claims. Factor this in your decision. For me boats, cars and two wheelers stay in personal name, if I go broke, they can have them.
__________________

Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
documentation, uscg

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×