Massachusetts documented vessel decal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
I recently purchased a documented trawler (still waiting for the final doc's) and have paid the sales tax online and have my ST6. I think I still need to have a window decal on it. I can't find any info on line and the voice mails I have left to the MEP have not been returned. Does anyone know if I do need the decal and if so what do I ask for and from whom? Thanks

No decals necessary for the "documented vessel" part of your registration, you just have to make certain the doc number is posted somewhere inside the boat on a stringer or somewhere easily visible and covered with a clear sealant that would easily show if someone tried to remove it. Google the requirements for a doc vessel.

Mass may require a sticker on the window but not the reg numbers posted on the hull. That's what WA does. Call a local boat dealer and ask them what Mass's requirements are.

Generally when you pay your tax, they'll give you the sticker. It should have instructions on the back. The clerk may or may not know.

At any rate, name and hailing port clearly visible and readable, plus the documentation ID number somewhere on the hull such that tampering would be evident, plus your MA tax sticker, are all you need. No numbers allowed on the forward half of the hull.

No sticker or Mass registration required for a documented vessel in Massachusetts.

No sticker or Mass registration required for a documented vessel in Massachusetts.

Correct. Local harbormaster may require a local permit to dock/moor in local water to prove you paid local excise tax, but there are no state mandated decals.

And also, if that boat has been documented before, then the documentation number is already somewhere on the boat.

No registration needed in Massachusetts, but other states... “Florida” May stop you asking for a sticker, local “mooring permits are common. Helps the them find you to collect Annual excise tax...

Many states require you to register with them whether documented or not. Others don't. A problem arises when you are from a state that doesn't and travel to a state that does. Gives the local LEO's probable cause to stop you when they don't see the sticker, then anything they might find after that is legal for a citation. Kind of like stopping a car for a broken taillight and finding a dead body in the trunk.

Many states require you to register with them whether documented or not. Others don't. A problem arises when you are from a state that doesn't and travel to a state that does. Gives the local LEO's probable cause to stop you when they don't see the sticker, then anything they might find after that is legal for a citation. Kind of like stopping a car for a broken taillight and finding a dead body in the trunk.

Has anyone actually had trouble with this? I have run Documented boat that have been papered based of my mass residence up and down the US east coast, US west coast, Canada east and west coasts, and Mexico, and have never had any trouble. When asked, which has happened once or twice, I simply point out that Mass doesn't register documented vessels. I can also show them my dinghy which does carry a Mass registration, because it's not documented.

Has anyone actually had trouble with this? I have run Documented boat that have been papered based of my mass residence up and down the US east coast, US west coast, Canada east and west coasts, and Mexico, and have never had any trouble. When asked, which has happened once or twice, I simply point out that Mass doesn't register documented vessels. I can also show them my dinghy which does carry a Mass registration, because it's not documented.

Come to Michigan. The LEOs here actively look for that. Revenue stream...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom