Old 08-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #1

City: Swansea
Vessel Name: Seaview
Vessel Model: Sundowner 32
Massachusetts documented vessel decal

I recently purchased a documented trawler (still waiting for the final doc's) and have paid the sales tax online and have my ST6. I think I still need to have a window decal on it. I can't find any info on line and the voice mails I have left to the MEP have not been returned. Does anyone know if I do need the decal and if so what do I ask for and from whom? Thanks
Unclematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
No decals necessary for the "documented vessel" part of your registration, you just have to make certain the doc number is posted somewhere inside the boat on a stringer or somewhere easily visible and covered with a clear sealant that would easily show if someone tried to remove it. Google the requirements for a doc vessel.

Mass may require a sticker on the window but not the reg numbers posted on the hull. That's what WA does. Call a local boat dealer and ask them what Mass's requirements are.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Generally when you pay your tax, they'll give you the sticker. It should have instructions on the back. The clerk may or may not know.

At any rate, name and hailing port clearly visible and readable, plus the documentation ID number somewhere on the hull such that tampering would be evident, plus your MA tax sticker, are all you need. No numbers allowed on the forward half of the hull.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
No sticker or Mass registration required for a documented vessel in Massachusetts.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
No sticker or Mass registration required for a documented vessel in Massachusetts.

That's the right answer.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Correct. Local harbormaster may require a local permit to dock/moor in local water to prove you paid local excise tax, but there are no state mandated decals.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #7

City: Swansea
Vessel Name: Seaview
Vessel Model: Sundowner 32
Thank you everyone for answering this question.
Unclematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #8

City: myrtle beach
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
And also, if that boat has been documented before, then the documentation number is already somewhere on the boat.
Sidclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #9

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
No registration needed in Massachusetts, but other states... “Florida” May stop you asking for a sticker, local “mooring permits are common. Helps the them find you to collect Annual excise tax...
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
https://www.mass.gov/boat-registration

You do not need to register non-motorized boats or if the U.S. Coast Guard has issued you documented registration.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #11
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Many states require you to register with them whether documented or not. Others don't. A problem arises when you are from a state that doesn't and travel to a state that does. Gives the local LEO's probable cause to stop you when they don't see the sticker, then anything they might find after that is legal for a citation. Kind of like stopping a car for a broken taillight and finding a dead body in the trunk.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwinks View Post
Many states require you to register with them whether documented or not. Others don't. A problem arises when you are from a state that doesn't and travel to a state that does. Gives the local LEO's probable cause to stop you when they don't see the sticker, then anything they might find after that is legal for a citation. Kind of like stopping a car for a broken taillight and finding a dead body in the trunk.

Has anyone actually had trouble with this? I have run Documented boat that have been papered based of my mass residence up and down the US east coast, US west coast, Canada east and west coasts, and Mexico, and have never had any trouble. When asked, which has happened once or twice, I simply point out that Mass doesn't register documented vessels. I can also show them my dinghy which does carry a Mass registration, because it's not documented.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Has anyone actually had trouble with this? I have run Documented boat that have been papered based of my mass residence up and down the US east coast, US west coast, Canada east and west coasts, and Mexico, and have never had any trouble. When asked, which has happened once or twice, I simply point out that Mass doesn't register documented vessels. I can also show them my dinghy which does carry a Mass registration, because it's not documented.
Come to Michigan. The LEOs here actively look for that. Revenue stream...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote