Old 11-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #1

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Bermuda Belle
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sedan
Listen up Canadians! Canada Proposes new tax for boaters!

Listen up Canadians! Canada Proposes new tax for boaters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Government Website
Transport Canada proposes to introduce a regulatory charge that would be paid by vessel owners. This charge would finance a vessel remediation fund that would help the government to deal with abandoned, wrecked or hazardous vessels.

You can read the charge proposal and submit feedback online until January 14, 2022.
It can be found here:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-se...mediation-fund.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Hopefully this will be adopted. I could see a waiver for boaters with an insurance document covering wreck removal of the insured vessel for the registration period.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
For recreational boats the proposal is to charge a licence fee of $10 every 5 years. Currently there is no charge for licencing or any kind of use tax on rec boats.

I can live with that.
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
If fee is low, I'm all for it.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
$2 per year will not break the bank.

The problem that will remain is enforcement.
Did you know that licensed & registered boats owner database has no system in place to be updated. You purchase a boat and are handed the old owner docs which you are supposed to process to your name. Honest people do that and then get a tax bill for letting gov know you made a purchase.
Does anyone expect older worn out boats being sold to have ownership updated? You know the ones that will end up abandoned.

$10 every 5 years, you sell the boat the day after you pay $10 and get a bill 5 years later to pay again, now what?
I once bought a registered boat and had to jump through hoops when the seller was not the current registered owner.
How are they planning to collect $10 from every recreational boat? There is no manpower to enforce safe boating regulations.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
They tried to do that here with old vehicle removal, the part that rubs me wrong is the responsible owners are forced to pay for the criminally irresponsible disposal by unscrupulous owners. In theory it's a fine and noble idea, in practice it penalizes already responsible people who would never dump their property on others to clean up.

On the other hand, I am all for a tax on plastic to clean it up out of our oceans!
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
Guru

I would like to see Florida adopt a wreck removal fee as part of registration cost. Florida registration fees are based on vessel size. Wreck removal fees could also be on a sliding scale. Would also like to see a required visitors registration which would include the wreck removal cost. Florida (just as most states) spends a lot of money to enhance boating infrastructure and wreck removal. It seems to me that a modest fee for a decal purchased online would be reasonable. Wrecks are a blight on the waterways. There should be a pool to deal with them immediately as opposed to scheduling them years out.

Ted
Old 11-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Pursuant to section 328.72(15), Florida Statutes, the portion of vessel registration fees designated for the use of the counties, shall be used for providing recreational channel marking and other uniform waterway markers, public boat ramps, lifts, and hoists, marine railways, and other public launching facilities, derelict vessel removal, and removal of vessels and floating structures deemed a hazard to public safety and health.
So easy, add "abandoned boat disposal" and raise the fee $10?

Like the Canadian proposal, we already have a registration system, why create another bureaucracy with separate overhead costs.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
So easy, add "abandoned boat disposal" and raise the fee $10?

Like the Canadian proposal, we already have a registration system, why create another bureaucracy with separate overhead costs.
Would still like to see the out of state boat user fee. Lots of out of state derelicts and wrecks.

Ted
Old 11-27-2021, 06:18 PM   #10

City: Port Hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Hopefully this will be adopted. I could see a waiver for boaters with an insurance document covering wreck removal of the insured vessel for the registration period.

Ted
Except when you introduce exceptions, things get unnecessarily cumbersome. KISS, especially for $2/yr.
John R M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:22 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Would still like to see the out of state boat user fee. Lots of out of state derelicts and wrecks.

Ted
I see your point. But if out of state registered do not need to get a Florida tag because they have their own state, perhaps the states can agree to pay for that abandoned vessel out of state too.
Longshot, but again without enforcement.
I know WA has a permit fee for permanent Canadian vessel moorage in the state, i.e. Point Roberts. Was never sure what I was paying for.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #12
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:

Ted
Not a good idea. What happens when every coastal state decides to impose fees on out of state boaters? Utter chaos. The Sojourner's fee Florida imposes on boaters in Florida for more than 90 days is largely ignored.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Not a good idea. What happens when every coastal state decides to impose fees on out of state boaters? Utter chaos. The Sojourner's fee Florida imposes on boaters in Florida for more than 90 days is largely ignored.
I'm perfectly happy to pay the fees for each state or give boaters a 14 exemption to pass through a state.

Want to cruise the Erie or Champlain canals, most years there's a required permit / pass. Looking to do the Rideau, and Trent Severn next summer. Lock and mooring fees are near $1,000.

The state would need to determine what's reasonable versus what discourages tourism. Just think it's unfair that someone from another state wrecks a boat and the state (tax payer) should pay for it. If a boater chooses to do so without insurance, why shouldn't they have to buy into a cleanup program?

Ted
Old 11-27-2021, 07:04 PM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
As a Canadian, I don't mind an additional fee in principle. For the reasons mentioned (lack of enforcement, govt. red tape etc) it's just another "feel good" measure that makes the government appear to be doing something IMHO. Similar to making Puget Sound (I think that was it???) a no dumping zone.

Example: Back in the 50's and earlier there was no fishing licence required in the province of Ontario. Then some bean counter got the idea of licencing. Problem was, NO funds from those licencing fees were allocated to the Ministry of Lands and Forests who were stewards of the lakes and rivers, at that time. The $$ for the licence fee went into the general revenue pot. After intense lobbying by various sporting clubs, the fees eventually went to look after the resource.

I suspect the same scenario here.

Also mentioned is the law abiding citizen is paying for the sins of the irresponsible who won't ever care about fouling the waterways.

About the ONLY thing these slobs (dumpers) understand would be fines and incarceration. Make it incumbent on the last registered owner to notify the authorities of a change of ownership and identify who the vessel is sold/given to. Then IF the vessel is dumped, it's the last owner who pays if the dumper can't be found.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #15
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
RTF,
When I sold my sailboat a few years ago, I notified the Licensing office (numbers not Name on stern, I always get the terminology confused) about the sale and new owner, they told me that my submission didn't matter, the onus was on the new owner!
To me, that seems strange, because if he did not do it, the record would still show me as owner!
Hopefully, if these proposed new "fees" are implemented, that the money actually will be used for the purpose described. Remember the GST! We were told it was going to be used to "pay down the debt". Once passed, first thing the Government did was have a taxpayer paid "retreat" to determine how the money would be spent!!!
That's Government for you.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:22 PM   #16
Guru

The license paper we get when we actually let them know we are the new owner clearly says upon sale give this copy to the buyer. This copy is the only copy so unless you make a photo copy, you do not even have any details left.
On private sales no sales tax is payable until you tell you bought the boat.
That right there makes one rush out and change ownership.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:49 AM   #17
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Want to cruise the Erie or Champlain canals, most years there's a required permit / pass. Looking to do the Rideau, and Trent Severn next summer. Lock and mooring fees are near $1,000.

Ted
The State of NY suspended canal fees years ago. Erie and Champlain canals are currently free to recreational boaters.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:56 AM   #18
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
If fee is low, I'm all for it.
Once the camel's nose is under the edge of the tent, it is difficult to keep the camel out of the tent.

$10 will increase
Old 11-28-2021, 06:58 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:

Ted
Ted
Look into buying early... March cut off but Canadian canal lock & mooring passes are ~20% off. And the bonus is... good for TSW, Rideau and Richeliu not separate. I consider it a bargain if you calculate your actual $/ day or lock and include the exchange rate.
Don
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
The State of NY suspended canal fees years ago. Erie and Champlain canals are currently free to recreational boaters.
It's been on and off (depending on the year). They didn't permanently remove them.

Ted

Tags
canada, vessel remediation fund