Liability Waiver for Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Signed by the ship's master.
1 day in foreign waters accounts for 2 days, towards your captain's license.

Where do you come up with such things? No. 1 day is 1 day. Can be signed by ship's owner, does not have to be licensed.

Hmmm, then I can generate and sign my own logged hours and apply it towards my USCG captain's license? If so, I have learned something new.

Yes, you can generate and sign your own hours and you can go as far back as you've owned a boat.

For lower level licenses....... yes, you can sign your own sea service forms with proof of boat ownership.

I don't remember foreign waters counting differently.

Yes, sir- absolutely correct.

From the CG719s sea service form:

Mariners must complete the signature and date of the applicant. If the Small Vessel Sea Service Form you are using is a newer form, this signature and verification box may be located on a second page.

If you are the owner of the vessel, you must also submit proof of ownership with the Small Vessel Sea Service Form. For questions regarding proof of ownership, see How do I document sea service?

If you do not own the vessel, you cannot attest to your own service—even if you are serving as master. You will need to have an owner, operator, or another master attest to the days underway by signing this section and providing their address and phone number.

I don't think you are materially helped by a signed written agreement. It won't protect you in a US court if something goes wrong. But a "Welcome aboard" letter from you never hurts. It should include:

a) They are your guest on a recreational boat pleasure trip. They are in no way paying for the trip. They may contribute to out-of-pocket expenses such as their share of the food.
b) They are not professional crew and are not being paid or otherwise compensated for the trip
c) It is illegal for them to bring aboard any drugs including marajuana and cannabis products. They will immediately tell you if they discover any drugs.
d) If anything makes them uncomfortable in any way, they should bring it to your attention immediately.
e) Not everyone enjoys sailing. You will be happy to put them ashore at the next safe harbor on request.
f) That sailing has inherent dangers and they accept the risks. They agree to follow all safety procedures that you request and conduct themselves at all time with safety in mind.

As for insurance, the liability included in your boat insurance will do fine - although getting an umbrella for excess liability is always a good idea. I carry $2M.

As to issues with sex - you aren't really at any greater legal risk than dating a woman ashore. But you should expect women to want some comfort that you are not dangerous before being alone on a boat with you. Expect to have several phone calls and a meeting on the boat before they agree to come. Offering some references they can call is always good too.

Last edited:
Generally waivers for anything are not worth the paper they are written on. Not only does the spoken word and a handshake mean absolutely squat today, the written word carries the same worthlessness. We are now a country without the rule-of-law after 200 year of priding ourselves on this virtue. This applies in both civil and criminal law.

You signed your post "Captain" that means you are at fault and will be sued by someone no matter what. If you are judged as not being responsible for a mishap which resulted in death or injury, you will have spent tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees and court costs defending yourself from every Tom, Dick and Harry who knew the injured or deceased.

I am a retired airline captain and once had the similar responsibilities as you, but I had a total indemnification for any of my actions in the cockpit from a multi-billion dollar corporation (my employer) and backup from one of the strongest labor unions in the country who would provide the best lawyers money can by.

An average citizen? Not much chance. If you have a paid crew find out what kind of insurance they have (and have them sign their death benefit over to you, just kidding). Boat insurance, check you personal liability. An umbrella policy, make sure it covers the operation of a boat as well as you car.

Good luck.

Liability waiver for crew

I highly recommend that you use experienced boating friends to assist you. Speaking from experience, this can be a very difficult trip that requires more than just you and someone you just met on the internet. Especially for the northbound passage.

From Cape Flattery to the southern Oregon border, all of the harbors require crossing a bar and if the weather is up, the CG may close the bar and prohibit boats from entering. Northern California also has some bar issues at Eureka and San Francisco. South of PT. Conception, access to moorage becomes much easier.

I also recommend that you hire a professional captain for a detailed tutorial on the passage and a weather router to let you know when you need to get off the water. I have used weatherguy.com with great success.

I am glad that I read this thread, I was considering taking a female along on the loop that i didn’t know. I texted her back and said I changed my mind! Thanks ever since much for this information!

DUI is a felony in Canada. On border crossing they ask if any felonies, if you have a DUI and say “NO”, or if you admit to a DUI you may not be allowed in. They have good systems to cross check and if you have been accused of lying you can be banned for life. Had this problem with truck drivers.

One question?

Are you familiar with the west coast?
All these legal &relationship issues aside this uphill voyage is normally referred to as the "Baha Bash" by west coast sailors.
Might start out well in the southern climate but the northern run, depending on time of year, you will want real sailors,very few ports to duck into and those are extremely dangerous when the weather turns. Not a place for Sunday sailors. Can't count the number of boaters who have started this trek and turned around an waited for better conditions.

Nautical Nightmare ?

There isn't a young man who hasn't dreamed of this ... and scarcely an older man who would attempt it. Most of us go to sea to leave these problems ashore, not to take them with us. Perhaps you will find your soulmate ... the proverbial needle in a haystack. Smooth seas and favorable winds to you!

Thanks all for some great advice! Shortly after posting, I did a quick Internet search and found a good resource for a pretty thorough "Release and Waiver of Liability" document.

In the end, and after reviewing some of your interesting comments, I have decided to keep the romance on Match.com and leave the crewing to several family members and close friends who have also expressed in interest in joining me for some of the trip.

So much for the millions of Patreon subscribers. :)

Thanks again,
Captain Lou

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom