Old 06-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #21
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
The Forum is fortunate to have Peter as a member. His insurance advice is priceless.
Thank you Peter for that which you offer.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #22
Bud

City: KEY COLONY BEACH
Vessel Name: Izzy Rose
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
The insurance carrier is Great Lakes Insurance. I renewed it but only because I could not find any insurance company that would write a liability only and pollution policy for my size boat. Basically when you figure in there depreciation schedule I would only get 20% of replacement cost on any work replacements or repairs. For example: If there was $40k of damage to the hull and boat they would pay $3k which is $8k (20%) minus my deductable of $5k = $3k. If it was a named storm my deductable would be double so they would pay nothing.
Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Yes, I went liability only on one of my boats. 300,000 to go under my existing umbrella policy. Very inexpensive $110. with Progressive
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #24

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Christina Marie
Vessel Model: TA Chiao 35 Trawler
Liability Only.

I have liability only through BoatUS/Geico. Policy has liability (500K), med pay (5K), spill liability 939K), and salvage liability (if I sink it in a navigable waterway and it is a danger, they remove the boat, up to the value of the boat). I have about a 20 year history with BoatUS with no claims ever. Just paid this year's premium: $88.00 for my 1986 35ft trawler. I made sure the family understood, if it sinks, it is gone.
sascudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #25
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sascudder View Post
I have liability only through BoatUS/Geico. Policy has liability (500K), med pay (5K), spill liability 939K), and salvage liability (if I sink it in a navigable waterway and it is a danger, they remove the boat, up to the value of the boat). I have about a 20 year history with BoatUS with no claims ever. Just paid this year's premium: $88.00 for my 1986 35ft trawler. I made sure the family understood, if it sinks, it is gone.

If it sinks at a dock....you could be on the hooks for 10's of thousands?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #26

City: Abita Springs, Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Yes, I went liability only on one of my boats. 300,000 to go under my existing umbrella policy. Very inexpensive $110. with Progressive

Is that per month or annually?
JPMikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #27
Bud

I have liability only on my 26 glacier bay and its $115 a year with progressive. But no carriers that I could find will write those policies for my 49 GB boat. They say nothing over over 35ft.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #28

City: Port Charlotte, Florida
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 42' Grand Banks
Liability insurance only

I al I'm also insured with a liability policy only with progressive thru a broker in Saint Pete Florida it's very reasonable it does cover all the mentioned hazards,the cost to insure is very high and the deduction make it almost not worth it unless its totaled
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #29

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
I'd not be comfortable with liability coverage of only 500k. We had a fire in our marina this winter caused by some electrical fault on a 45' Bayliner. It completely destroyed the Bayliner and totaled a 57' Carver next to it. Our boat was next to the Carver and suffered no damage as the Carver shielded us from the radiation heat and the wind blew away from our boat. There was substantial damage to the dock as well. I hope the Bayliner's owner had sufficient liability insurance.

With today's boat prices, the boat next to you can easily exceed $1+M and fires typically damage several boats.
Attached Thumbnails
yacht-fire-1.jpg  
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:13 PM   #30

City: Fernandina Beach
Liability only

I have used Ski Safe (Part of Geico Insurance Agency, Inc) since 2013 for liability only for my 1988 Albin 34. No increases in premium over this period of time; however, no claims either. Covers salvage and spills. Phone for Ski Safe is 1-800-225-6560
Henry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #31
Bud

Geico told me no liability only policies for boats my size (49).
Bud
Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #32

City: saugerties
What is your yearly premium if I may ask?
binnewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #33
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I use Hagerty now for liability only. For my cruising (US, Canada & Alaska), they cover to 25 miles out. I do go outside for tuna, but there's no liability risk out there.
Hagerty does old cars, boats and classic boats. My liability only is under $2000/yr. 1942 wood 83' boat. I have professional licenses and a long history of no claims, but I don't think that counts at Hagerty. https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...arine-partners

For me it's easy, I have a private dock and only dock at fuel docks. Otherwise anchor. It's been years since I docked the big boat at a marina. When I travel, I carry a small fast boat and sometimes rent a space for that at marina close to a grocery store if I'm going to be there for a spell. Docking the big boat costs about $80/day or $1000/month at a marina. Too much for me.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #34
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I use Hagerty now for liability only. For my cruising (US, Canada & Alaska), they cover to 25 miles out. I do go outside for tuna, but there's no liability risk out there.
Hagerty does old cars, boats and classic boats. My liability only is under $2000/yr. 1942 wood 83' boat. I have professional licenses and a long history of no claims, but I don't think that counts at Hagerty. https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...arine-partners

For me it's easy, I have a private dock and only dock at fuel docks. Otherwise anchor. It's been years since I docked the big boat at a marina. When I travel, I carry a small fast boat and sometimes rent a space for that at marina close to a grocery store if I'm going to be there for a spell. Docking the big boat costs about $80/day or $1000/month at a marina. Too much for me.

There seems to have been a change at Hagerty. I got a quote from them last week, the underwriter was Markel.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #35
Bud

I called and gave Hagerty all my info. They emailed me a pdf letter saying they do not insure any boats over 30ft in Florida.
Bud