Lehman’s -value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamiec

I am helping a friend who has been left a wooden GB that I am sure is too far gone to recover. Considering breaking and wondering what 2 Lehman 120’s with transmissions shafts, props etc might fetch. Hours unknown at this point but they were winterized when it went on the hard.

If I were in the market for a pair, I would pay $5,000 for both engines, maybe a couple grand more for the props and shafts.

But you know what they say about the market, it is what someone will pay and the other accepts.

David

Last edited:
$5K/ea is a good estimate. If you had a video of them running and a list of compression numbers maybe more.

If transmissions are CR2's sell them separately. You might be able to get $2K/ea as is.

Props might be $500/ea but harder to sell. Not a big market for used props of a specific size. You don't know the material of the shafts so value might not be great (but if you buy a new shaft the price is obscene)

You could advertise these on Boats and Harbors, which is published every couple weeks. I sold a couple engines and gears here. Seems to be widely read.

It would be a shame but,, you could get more money parting out the engines on eBay.

I've found that trying to sell an used Lehman is a tough sell. Mostly due to logistics and being able to prove that "it runs great".

On the other hand, used Lehman parts sell well on eBay and the parts are easier to ship than a complete engine.

When I had Lehmans I kept watch for a whole engine to store(with difficulty and over home protests) for spares. Never found one but some Lehman owners might think it worth doing, if a conveniently located reasonable specimen became available.

It isn’t that hard to run it on a jig. We did that with the one in Bob Smith’s Lehman class. A fuel can and a battery and start it up and take a video of it running. Maybe not as good as a sea trial but it would show the prospective buyer that it will run.

I have a couple of 120's and they are great. But I cannot imagine what would happen to make me want to buy a used engine for parts or installation when I can find new parts to rebuild the ones I have. I suppose a cracked block could be a reason.

If I had a twin 120 boat and an engine bit the bullet I would buy a good running take out for a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom