Leaving boat on anchor long term

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You came up with the plan in your first post where you admitted basically that you'd bitten off more than you could chew financially. Then you posted over and over that you were not defending your decision. When one makes a poor decision, the least damage is done the sooner they reverse it. Otherwise you'll just be throwing more good money after bad. Another time, another place, perhaps boating will be right for you. But to spend money you can't easily afford on something you'll only use two months of the year, just doesn't sound wise to me. Now you're talking about maxing out credit cards and expenses. You're letting this boat you can't use and have no where to keep that you can afford, bankrupt you and it will take years to recover. Dump it now, please.

Sorry brotha not gonna happen....I'll sell organs before I sell this boat :) die hard trawler owner already? ...selling will not happen :) I had a 500 credit score about 8 years ago got. 750 now.... I own 3 houses a dodge viper rv and tons of other **** I dont need.....the boat will be the last to.go and way after I have a 300 credit score as I love it the most ....selling ..never :) I guess it depends what your priorities are a score / number on a piece of paper or your boat ....I pick boat over everything!

Sorry brotha not gonna happen....I'll sell organs before I sell this boat :) die hard trawler owner already? ...selling will not happen :) I had a 500 credit score about 8 years ago got. 750 now.... I own 3 houses a dodge viper rv and tons of other **** I dont need.....the boat will be the last to.go and way after I have a 300 credit score as I love it the most ....selling ..never :) I guess it depends what your priorities are a score / number on a piece of paper or your boat ....I pick boat over everything!

Well, you asked for advice, you got it. Beyond that, just to read your post says clearly where your priorities are, proving you made a good decision. You obviously love your boat more than I love ours. Your post does win the award for the most ^%%#$ post of the day. I'm not going to disclose what is under those symbols though.

Sorry I haven't posted on this thread it's because I was on the boat ....I moved it to indiantown after a 2 week vacay on the new boat....I moved it to Indiantown and gonna just max out credit cards and expenses until I can get into the glades or somewhere cheaper and keep trying for better insurance and when the day comes I run out of money I'll come up with a new plan ��*♂️

Ah...the old hope and pray management technique -may as well buy a lottery ticket too.

Well, you asked for advice, you got it. Beyond that, just to read your post says clearly where your priorities are, proving you made a good decision. You obviously love your boat more than I love ours. Your post does win the award for the most ^%%#$ post of the day. I'm not going to disclose what is under those symbols though.

Well as you said maybe I love my boat more than yours but with many options out there ....cheaper storage the glades vs indiantown saves $$ others advice saying maybe find a private dock owner saving $$ maybe take it to georgia to save $$ maybe fractional ownership if I only plan to use it a few months of the year .....tons of other options to save $$ besides the cave in and sell option I've found insursurance that while stored will devalue the boat costing 1100 per year to insure it for 10k while stored on the hard ...and when I take it out I can bump up the insurance ....and when a spot comes open at the glades its just a 1 day trip down the okechobee saving me more money .....so yeah sorry to disagree but at 1100 per year insurance + 1700 for storage if in the glades now we are closing in on the costs I anticipated ..... and I've had several offers just from this post alone at fractional ownership......so sorry to disagree but selling out is not always the best or only option

Have you thought of trying the suggestion I made back in post 43, where I essentially suggested advertising in the area in which you would like to have the boat, for someone who has a canal-side home, but no boat, and who would, (for a modest rental), allow you to park yours there, with no liability on them. Just a regular payment coming in. There are folk here in the Brisbane area where there are a lot of canal-side homes with pontoons, but no boat, who do that. I would expect the same over in the US. The berth owner, for a few beers now and then, might well agree to 'keep a friendly eye on it' even..?

Pete the reason that is lower on my list of options is cost ... most people with a dock slip anywhere in florida want at least $250 per month ....they know their dock is worth money and not gonna give that space up free ...(or cheap) I'd be lucky if I could find a dock for $250 per month and that prob is still wishful thinking and then with staying in the water comes bottom cleaning cost ...so bare minimum I'd prob spend $350 per month which I am spending right now with it on the hard with no worries of it sinking ....all I gotta worry about is batteries being topped off and I put my other boats 100 watt solar panel and mppt charger on it to keep the 7 batteries topped off....so for now I'm paying 360 per month and have little worries ... I will at some point when a spot becomes available move more inland to a different place that the cost is roughly half of that saving me another 1800 per year and keep shopping in hopes of liability insurance...the insurance is what hurt the most as I thought I could get liability because the previous owner had liability but they were grandfathered in....maybe I can talk them into devaluing my boat down even farther to $5k ?? To save more money ??? So far what I'm doing is doable but of course more than I wanted to spend and I've only owned the boat a month now maybe in months ahead I can find a cheaper place to store it and get cheaper or liability only insurance ....if not I may consider fractional ownership

.I moved it to Indiantown and gonna just max out credit cards and expenses until I can get into the glades or somewhere cheaper and keep trying for better insurance and when the day comes I run out of money I'll come up with a new plan ��*♂️

This sounds like a sound plan. Good thing there are never any unexpected major expenses with boat ownership! :whistling:

Jim

This sounds like a sound plan. Good thing there are never any unexpected major expenses with boat ownership! :whistling:

Jim

Wifey B: Now don't you dare tell him that pump outs aren't free or that using the dinghy dock at the marina will cost him. :nonono:

Established forum members, I'm choosing to keep this forum to it's earned level of dignity and generally helpful attitude. Engaging with someone who has made certain questionable decisions and is obviously sticking to them will not bring about any good. It will reflect poorly on us for entertaining it. Possibly enable him by our willingness to engage. My opinion. Leaving a boat anchored out for extended periods without me nearby is something I'd never do and it seems most members agree.

Agreed and it was only anchored out for 2 weeks total before I picked it up at which point I spent 2 more weeks on it to splice a mini vacation on it along with moving the boat onto the hard .... a little more costly obviously but yeah the peace of mind is worth it ... I will wait for cheaper places to store it and shop around for better insurance prices and if at some point the cost is still too much I guess I will entertain fractional ownership although I'd rather not do that either as the using it only 2 or 3 months per year is just the plan for the next 3 years after that I plan for longer periods up to 6 month snowbird jaunts down to florida

I sincerely hope this works out for you.

There can be issues with storing a boat on the 'hard' for long periods of time. Please research the issue (search previous threads on this forum or post your own threads), as you don't want to have any surprises when you return to the boat.

We live next door in Maryland, and I sometimes forget how beautiful and rural many parts of WV are. We had a great time in McDowell county, two weeks ago, running our land toys on the Hatfield McCoy Trails! :thumb:

Jim

I sincerely hope this works out for you.

There can be issues with storing a boat on the 'hard' for long periods of time. Please research the issue (search previous threads on this forum or post your own threads), as you don't want to have any surprises when you return to the boat.

We live next door in Maryland, and I sometimes forget how beautiful and rural many parts of WV are. We had a great time in McDowell county, two weeks ago, running our land toys on the Hatfield McCoy Trails! :thumb:

Jim

Ty yeah it was kinda a cross your fingers and hope for the best purchasw....went dirt cheap on Ebay and I purchased it without laying eyes on it first ...sometimes ya just take a chance and hope you can pull it off....so far boat checks out good...good running lehman all appliances work bottom doesnt look too bad other than colonies of oysters were living on it lol ..... plan is to strip off external from engine ...new hoses , impeller, heat exchangers , and flush it out really good and hope I can keep it running a while ....its on the hard for now , put biocide in the diesel solar to keep the 7 batteries topped off and buttoned everything up as good as I could ..... maybe in my initial post it came across wrong as if to insinuate my very last cent went into this boat and if I had even a $20 dollar expense it would mean me and my kids would go hungry that month..... i have other toys a dodge viper, rv, 3 rental houses ...so if worse case scenario and the expenses are wayyyy more than I can handle then something will have to go...the viper or the RV? Etc etc .....different strokes for different folks but no I wont claim I have deep pockets or I wouldn't be looking at 17k dollar trawlers although from what I can tell I got a fairly decent deal on a non gutted running trawler with a fairly decent survey with minor deficiencies ...... my budget I wanted was 2k storeage and I hoped for 500 insurance thinking I'd get liability only (since it's a cheap boat) for now I'm paying 4k storage and 1100 insurance so its 2500 more per year than I expected but that doesnt mean I have to donate blood for us to eat....its just more than i budgeted for.... with a cheaper place to store i can cut that 2500 in half at least so if i end up spending 1k more per year than I anticipated its just that more than i wanted...and if i cant even shave 1 penny off ...well maybe my least favorite "toy" will need sold but the trawler is definitely not on the bottom .... my viper is a cool looking car but it cant take me and my kids to the dry tortugas..... kinda odd I guess to see so many telling a new owner to sell so quickly just because they have some unexpected expenses especially while there are so many other options like fractional ownership
But ty for advice and I will look at what possible damages keeping on the hard can cause ...I did my best as a rookie new owner shoving rags in seacocks and preparing it for potential hurricanes to come in months ahead ...guess time will tell

If you found a private dock you could probably reduce expenses by giving the home owner access to your boat. That way the boat doesn't sit idle, someone is looking out for it, and you can turn your under used asset into a much needed asset.

If you are talking letting someone else use the vessel as in underway....it could increase insurance premiums...have no idea how much...but insurance companies nowadays seem to be very concerned who runs your insured boat.

Our location Turkey Creek is where folks head in a hurricane, it is about 3 miles from Glades and many home owners do rent dock space $200-$300 per month, for storage. Electric is 20c to 25c per KW .

Only a few will allow live aboard , as it is a PIA for the home owner , but if its just dead boat storage you may find a spot.

China19 has many boats in place for almost a year.

Drive over and look for signs in folks yards.

The Moore Haven lock is undergoing repairs , so you would need to put down to Key West to access the river at FT Myers. An EZ 3 or 4 day trip.

Good hunting.

Last edited:

You might want to give Dave Ramsey a call. :)

I read this thread and I am bit surprised. OP find that 250/month for a dock (wherever it is) is expensive for a 36 feet. Up here I keep mine in one of the cheapest area, 6 months a year in the water, 6 months on the ground, and it cost me 50% more than that for a 30 feet.
If need to be cheaper than that and boat is used only 2 month, can't it be moved to OP house during the unused 10 months? (Apparently OP has 3 houses). Or sell one of the 3 houses and OP will have enough $ for some years of docking.
Maybe a reality check is needed here.

L

I read this thread and I am bit surprised. OP find that 250/month for a dock (wherever it is) is expensive for a 36 feet. Up here I keep mine in one of the cheapest area, 6 months a year in the water, 6 months on the ground, and it cost me 50% more than that for a 30 feet.
If need to be cheaper than that and boat is used only 2 month, can't it be moved to OP house during the unused 10 months? (Apparently OP has 3 houses). Or sell one of the 3 houses and OP will have enough $ for some years of docking.
Maybe a reality check is needed here.

L

Really the unanticipated expense is the insurance ....I anticipated liability insurance and that's what the previous owners had and then on top of that I had no idea full coverage insurance would be so costly .... this boat was only 17k dollars and yet they want 10% per year ...literally the insurance for all 3 houses and my viper is just a tad bit more than this 17k dollar boat so that is my biggest issue.....I have the boat stored on the hard now at 300 per month... I may move it in time to lower costs I've found a yard I can keep it in that's fenced in with security for $50 bucks a month and they dont care if I work on it...lil costly to have it trucked but not so much if I move the boat up to Cape Canaveral area first then its $1500 to truck it block and I have to buy my own supports ... theres tons of options I guess insurance is the one that I guess really threw the wrench in my plan...... when I purchase something I already factor in repairs ...its already part of the equation storage costs as well ....despite the appearance I'm thrifty and wait for years until I find what is a bargain or so I believe .....so in purchasing this boat I planned for 200 storage 50 insurance per month and 200 per month escrow or repairs ........I didnt factor in that I calculated my expenses on insurance by the previous ..owners insurance being a grandfathered in policy ?*♂️.... the post originally started as I was scramblimg.to make ends meet when I got hit with the insurance delima and making a plan on the fly.....I did indeed leave the boat on anchor totally unattended for 1 month...it didnt sink... but while I was devising what to do I wondered if anyone ever hired a yachts master to check on their boat had wifi solar and extra bilge pumps and security cameras.....
To me leaving a boat on a mooring isnt a whole lot different .... I guess that floating ball and concrete block on the bottom give people security that no one will steal their boat or possessions or that a bilge pump wont get something jammed in it.....
Having lived in cocoa area and titusville area for years I seen derelict boats with no solar or anything floating for years.... so maybe its just my opinion from what I've seen but a well thought out plan with wifi security security cameras extra bilges a few close friends a yachmaster and several people that can check on your boat is every bit as safe as putting your boat on a mooring......that's just my opinion
Ps the boat is on the hard now....after having survived 30 days at anchor totally unattended other than anchor neighbors cell phone ....boat didnt sink , no one died and no one stole the boat or ripped the lehman out of it....I only left it on anchor for a month as i worked on a new and better plan.....sometimes when you feel you stumbled upon a great financial deal you jump on it and hope you can work the problem into improving the situation and thats what I did and it's in a better situation today han sitting at anchor unattended

In reality its just a financial philosophy that I have and always will have .....I hate to pay "rent" i also hate insurance as I've spent wayyyy more on insurance than I've ever recouped and feel the concept is over priced....its just me being a tightwad....with the money i do have I'm quite tight with and picky about where it goes .... $350 per month storage doesnt sound like much prob to most but my mind says "wouldn't 2 years of that be the cost of a trailer you could find and have welded or modified to put this boat on where it could be trucked either by your own diesel truck or pay someone to move it and now your money goes mostly into an asset (a trailer) and all umpire wasting is $50 bux a month in storage .....I have liability on my dodge viper.... if I wreck it that's on me ...I put my foot into the gas too much and hit a tree and out of my investment ....kinda reminds me to keep my foot out of the gas .... I dont mind spending money but I'm choosy in what I consider wasting money and try my best to keep those expenses to a minimum it's why I dont have payments on cars boats and 2 of the 3 houses for insurance 1 house doesnt even have insurance.... it's just me being a penny pincher ......any dollar I save on expenses like storage or insurance translates to upgrades to my purchase theres about 10k I've already mentally spent planning for this boat in upgrades so my mind thinks cut expenses prior to spending .. boat is stored at indiantown by length should be 305 guess I'll wait for first bill to see how much extra they charge for the 10 jack stands and extra blocks ...... but yeah if feasible now I'm looking at having it stored on land away from the marina
If it saves 3600 per year and is totally feasible that is ...cocoa has a good storage yard I used to keep an rv at that's only 1 mile from the icw for $50 a month....just an idea I'm tossing around....not sure this board is ok with bumping ideas off of others ...lots of critics I see lol

Re insurance: can Pete on Pau Hana verify? Your ability to get insurance might be negatively affected by “letting your credit score go down to 300 if needed...”

Be glad, be very glad that you are not located in WA state. We have fabulous cruising grounds, but moorage is much more expensive than the figures you quote, and can be hard to find!!

Re insurance: can Pete on Pau Hana verify? Your ability to get insurance might be negatively affected by “letting your credit score go down to 300 if needed...”

Be glad, be very glad that you are not located in WA state. We have fabulous cruising grounds, but moorage is much more expensive than the figures you quote, and can be hard to find!!

Yeah I spoke to Pete and he said same thing...I guess it's the new regs on older boats bigger than 30 feet ...he said comprehensive was a must ?*♂️.
And not sure how often you use your boat as I only plan to use mine 1x per year for 2-3 months (for now) so I may look into having it trucked to land away from a marina. So many storage places can be found for 50-100 bux a month without the clauses that it's not a work yard and.you cant hire a mechanic to come change all the hoses or oil or whatever you choose....kinda strange to me to spend 350 bux per month on a small piece of land to store a boat and not be allowed to work on it unless you pay to have it moved to the other small piece of land that charges 30 bux per day ....when theres plenty of other land to store a boat on ....pending of course if you cand find a reasonably cost efficient way to get it there and qualified people who can block it up correctly

Boating in this area is possible year round, although wind can be a factor in the winter. However, we don’t freeze up! Even storage on the hard is expensive, more in the $300 range.

Best of luck with your plans!

Indiantiwn just charges for hauling and blocking once (until you move to the work yard). Then 2 hurricane straps. Monthly charge is just per foot, nothing for stands, straps or blocks....

Back
Top Bottom