Old 08-13-2022, 12:17 PM   #21
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Rather than speculation you need expert advice. As stated above obtainable with a lawyer, broker and accountant skilled in maritime affairs. Unfortunately nothing else will serve. Only that way once they sign off you have recourse if things go badly and have the reassurance you are in compliance with applicable statutes.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #22
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD View Post
I found that web page also. The boat was previously registered in the US, so I would think that the duty was paid then, but I won’t be surprised at all if the govt taxes it twice.
Definitely get expert advice.

From memory, the US will charge import duties each time. Canada doesn’t (just once). Again, don’t rely on any of us so use your expert. I don’t think a boat broker is who I’d go to. I used a title agent for the transfer but also an import agent.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #23
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
We’ve used import agents when forced to. Some are worst than used car salesmen than used car sales in my experience. But others quite honorable and ethical. As an example there was a ten fold difference in quotes to do the paperwork involved in importing a US flagged boat back into the US as deck cargo.
Given there’s difficulty in ascertaining skills and ethics of a individual you never used and with them knowing you probably will never use again I would definitely do due diligence. I had my insurance agent and lawyer choose and negotiate price. I took no advice from the import export agent at either end. For purchase didn’t hire one. Don’t know if lawyer or broker did.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I am not up to speed on this subject. I just know that most boats can be imported between Canada and the USA with little issue. Until you run into one
Of those made in China boats that has never had the import duty paid on it. I know there are a few North Pacific yachts that look like good deals in BC but when you add the 25% fee to bring them into the US they are no longer good deals. Then there are other NP’s that have had the duty paid and they can be imported no issue. My neighbor is a factory Rep for NP and talks about tHis issue all the time to people. I’m out on my boat so I can’t ask him for details but it sounds like the OP is already seeking professional help.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:54 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I know that in Canada, if you have a serious inquiry to make, you can ask for a ruling and the tax dept will give you a letter to say how the law will apply to your particular case. Is that the same in the US?

OTOH, I sold a property in the US 2 years ago next month, on which proceeds they withheld 15% against possible Capital Gain tax. I have had my first actual communication with the IRS this month, so I wouldn't have high hopes you can get their attention when you want to.