Old 07-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
Guru

Insurance Update

For those starting out on their first trawler search you may want to talk with a couple of insurance brokers before you place your deposit on the new boat. Over the past few years obtaining insurance has become a little more difficult and if your boating experience is limited you may be required to hire a captain and spend time proving your skills prior to he/she providing validation for the insurance company. If you are an experienced trawler owner increasing boat size 10' is not much of an issue but anything greater can result in a little more work. Just something I recently discovered.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Yes, I always advise people to make sure they can get insurance. I have Geico through Boat/US. They said we could go up 15’ without any problems.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
I read a post a while back regarding a couple who jumped from kayaks to a trawler but was hesitant to ask what they found for insurance.
magna 6882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Squam Lake
Vessel Model: Rossiter Coastal Cruiser
I'm looking at jumping from 20something foot lake boats to a 50ish foot Kadey Krogen. I figured my biggest hurdle (besides the price!) would be insurance. I've had several conversations about it though and it seems like I won't have a problem getting insurance but I will be required to have a training captain. They said on average its about 3 or 4 days with the captain. Its not cheap but regardless of insurance requirements I think its a good investment.
GraniteStater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Good advice. Now a days, also confirm the availability of moorage before buying!!!!
Old 07-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
It's much more than just a quick check ride.

With the amount of new boaters out there, and the huge jump in claims over the past year as a result of said new boaters relying on ego ("I can do this") vs experience- and you have a recipe for a tightening of the insurance appetites.

So, there are insurers with will offer coverage to new boaters/boaters with large jumps in size, but not like they would just 5 years ago,

Underwriting takes into account ((in addition to the usual underwriting criteria):
  • Owner experience
  • Navigation area
  • Vessel age
  • Vessel size increase

Some I've insured had had requirements of a full time skipper for the first policy term.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
It's much more than just a quick check ride.

With the amount of new boaters out there, and the huge jump in claims over the past year as a result of said new boaters relying on ego ("I can do this") vs experience- and you have a recipe for a tightening of the insurance appetites.

So, there are insurers with will offer coverage to new boaters/boaters with large jumps in size, but not like they would just 5 years ago,

Underwriting takes into account ((in addition to the usual underwriting criteria):
  • Owner experience
  • Navigation area
  • Vessel age
  • Vessel size increase

Some I've insured had had requirements of a full time skipper for the first policy term.

Peter...what I find curious is there is definitely a niche of boaters who have older boats that are probably better and safer than they were 10 years prior. To help prove it, they may have zero claims for those 10 years and lot's of use.

Is there any way this info gets back to those who make the decisions that include just the age of the boat and not that it is actually better?

Or is it something we all should make sure any recent surveys include all those "upgrades" if we can get the surveyor to include them?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #8

City: New Bern
Vessel Name: Salt & Light
Vessel Model: Carver 466
We recently got a quote thru NBOA for a potential new purchase, a Novatec 47. The insurance company actually providing the quote was American Modern Insurance Group. Anybody here have any experience or insights with them?

The price they quoted was very nice, but I've found 'lots' of negative posts around the internet for AMIG's "performance" (or lack thereof shall we say) regarding homeowner's insurance - but no posts regarding performance on marine insurance.

Does anyone here have any experience with this company you'd be willing to share? Thanks
Tango46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:49 PM   #9
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango46 View Post
We recently got a quote thru NBOA for a potential new purchase, a Novatec 47. The insurance company actually providing the quote was American Modern Insurance Group. Anybody here have any experience or insights with them?

The price they quoted was very nice, but I've found 'lots' of negative posts around the internet for AMIG's "performance" (or lack thereof shall we say) regarding homeowner's insurance - but no posts regarding performance on marine insurance.

Does anyone here have any experience with this company you'd be willing to share? Thanks
Yessir. Here's a writeup i did last year re American Modern and their policy coverage:

Thanks for taking a few moments to chat with me. I‘ve attached the American Modern policy for your review. Further to our conversation regarding American Modern’s policy, I’ve highlighted some areas where the attached policy is appearing to play circular logic with coverages:

• Page 2- Definitions, under “Accident”-
o This defines what an "accident" is, and specifically points out what is and is not covered. Accidents must be of an external cause of loss per this wording to have coverage.
o "a" specifically excludes damages that are the results of ordinary wind, weather, and wave actions. So, if your vessel is at home on the trailer and floods because of rain, or a tree falls on it due to winds, you have no coverage. Same if your vessel is dockside in a marina, and winds and waves cause damage due to rubbing on a dock or pier- no coverage.
• Page 3- Definition, under “Occurrence”
o This describes the definition of what an considered an occurrence under the insuring agreement, Page 6, Section III A, Hull and Equipment Coverage. Since the word "accident" is in bold, you must go to that definition to determine what is covered.
• Page 6- Section III, Hull and Aux equipment Coverage, subpara A:
o This is the hull insuring section. Any word in bold means it is specifically defined in the policy definition for this policy. Since the word "Occurrence" is in bold, you must go to the Definitions to see what is meant by "occurrence".

In any marine policy, the coverages are dictated by how the policy defines them. In this case, the specificity of what is defined as an accident makes the policy weigh heavily in favor of the insuring company, and not the policy holder. Further, (and this is the circular logic part) the policy reads backwards- you to page 6 (the hull insurance section) to see if you have coverage- you then have to go to the Definitions to find out what “occurrence” means- you then have to go to “accident” to see what that definition is.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #10

City: New Bern
Vessel Name: Salt & Light
Vessel Model: Carver 466
Thanks heaps Pete! We will definitely contact you for more/better options.
Tango46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #11

City: Tall Timbers Maryland
Vessel Name: Devil Dog
Vessel Model: 1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
Pete,
Thanks for all your help and expertise meeting our insurance needs.
Attached Thumbnails
PauHana.jpg  
Old 07-30-2021, 03:03 PM   #12

City: Jamison
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: 38 Present Trawler
I use Chubb on my 1984 38 twin lehman Present
mhaugh1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Escondido
Vessel Name: VOLUNTEER
Vessel Model: Hobie Oasis
Insurance & training

I just got a quote from USAA's partner, Markel Specialty, on a 42' Kadey-Krogen: $1560.

I have extensive and lifelong experience in power, sail, and human-powered boats under 30' and crew/mechanical on tugs and schooners over 100 feet, but nothing in-between. So they are requiring me to get a training captain for 20 hours.

It's interesting reading that this is becoming the norm. I'd never heard of it. I also have a pilot's license and it is common practice to get an instructor to check you out in a new type of plane. So I had actually offered to do this with the boat - it just seems smart. I was expecting maybe 4 hours, so questioned them on 20 hours. They said it's a lot more than just docking and maneuvering. There are all the boat's systems to learn and so on. I used to be in engineering on tug boats and am competent not only to figure out the systems on a recreational trawler, but also to maintain and repair them. But that doesn't matter to a cubicle rat.

So I'm searching for a low priced captain to put in the 20 hours with. I'd rather pay a higher priced one for four hours, but it all looks the same to a paper-pusher, so there you have it.
FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
A lot of knowledge and skills transfer up and down in many sizes and uses of vessels, but not all.

In my experience, insurance companies seem to go with generalizations mostly and individual skills to a lesser degree.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #15
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
I just got a quote from USAA's partner, Markel Specialty, on a 42' Kadey-Krogen: $1560.

I have extensive and lifelong experience in power, sail, and human-powered boats under 30' and crew/mechanical on tugs and schooners over 100 feet, but nothing in-between. So they are requiring me to get a training captain for 20 hours.

It's interesting reading that this is becoming the norm. I'd never heard of it. I also have a pilot's license and it is common practice to get an instructor to check you out in a new type of plane. So I had actually offered to do this with the boat - it just seems smart. I was expecting maybe 4 hours, so questioned them on 20 hours. They said it's a lot more than just docking and maneuvering. There are all the boat's systems to learn and so on. I used to be in engineering on tug boats and am competent not only to figure out the systems on a recreational trawler, but also to maintain and repair them. But that doesn't matter to a cubicle rat.

So I'm searching for a low priced captain to put in the 20 hours with. I'd rather pay a higher priced one for four hours, but it all looks the same to a paper-pusher, so there you have it.
I may be wrong, but I think that Markel is a non-admitted insurance company.

An admitted insurance company is backed by the state, which means:
• The insurance company must comply with the regulations set by your state's department of insurance.
• If the insurance company fails financially, the state will step in to make payments on claims as necessary.
A non-admitted insurance company isn't approved by the state, which means:
• The insurance company does not necessarily comply with state insurance regulations.
• If the insurance company becomes insolvent, there is no guarantee that claims will be paid, even if the case is active at the time of the bankruptcy or financial failure.
• If policyholders think their case was handled improperly, they can't appeal to the state insurance department.

Not so sure how much of a difference it makes.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #16
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBear View Post

You could ask what qualifications the hired captain needs to have. It's probably the ticket that you already have, or had.
Some time back when stepping up in boat size the insurance company asked that I hire a captain for a while. I asked what qualifications this captain should have and they said a USCG license. I showed them mine and said I was qualified to do the training. Never heard another word about it.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Escondido
Vessel Name: VOLUNTEER
Vessel Model: Hobie Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
I may be wrong, but I think that Markel is a non-admitted insurance company.
Not so sure how much of a difference it makes.
It could make a lot of difference. It says you are in Everett, WA. Would the state you are in make a difference? In other words, do I need to make sure they are "admitted" in California?

They are a "subcontractor" for USAA. I would think such a large and reputable company would make sure they had the best subcontractors, too. But I will definitely be checking on this before I sign up.

Thanks
FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #18
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
You could ask what qualifications the hired captain needs to have. It's probably the ticket that you already have, or had.
Some time back when stepping up in boat size the insurance company asked that I hire a captain for a while. I asked what qualifications this captain should have and they said a USCG license. I showed them mine and said I was qualified to do the training. Never heard another word about it.
Like everything it depends. I've been a licensed professonal since the mid 70s. Some insurers take my credentials as qualifications. Some ask other questions. For my first personal boat purchase the insurer wanted to know if I'd had any loses. I hadn't because I'd not previously owned a boat. Coupled with the boat being an old woodie I was put in what they called an assigned risk pool. Very expensive coverage.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
You asked about experience, for what it’s worth, I’ve done several deliveries where the owners have submitted my resume (I don’t have a USCG license) to their insurance companies and they have been approved, in writing, each time.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Klawock
Vessel Name: Cape Mark
Vessel Model: 1943 80' Sterling Ex-Seiner
I have a 1943 80 foot converted seiner that is my first real boat-- So no experience--

I have only dock insurance for hull value of 150000.

I could only find one company who would give a quote on this boat due to being a wooden boat and being wooden--- i think those 2 things were trumping my lack of experience.

I have more than that in it of course and she appraises for 200k--

but I cant understand all the gobblygook in the policy--

One thing got my attention and that was they would pay on the depreciated value......????

So im not sure if i should even keep the 600/month insurance or not.

I cant figure out what my net would be if she sunk at the dock

She sure is a nice one!!!
pkirkll is offline   Reply With Quote