Old 02-03-2021, 01:54 PM   #1

City: Auburn
Vessel Name: Emma Jo
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 RPH
Insurance dilemma please help!

We are in the process of purchasing a 1986 49 DeFever RPH. Called Boat US and as of 01/2021 there not insuring a MV of this size or age. Does anyone have Any idea of where I could obtain “Antique” MV insurance? We are in the Puget Sound area, no insurance claims & USCG Veteran.

Mafke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
These guys have served me well; I have a 74 "out of production" 41' vessel. They are at Elliott Bay Marina.
Attached Thumbnails
boat ins.JPG  

AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #3

City: NW Nevada
Check out this recent thread too: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...nce-55357.html
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
We had the same issue, our boat was insured by Boat US when we bought it. But they did/would not insure stating a few things once we transferred ownership. I ended up going with Peter Ricks at Novamar for a fair rate.

Peter Ricks,
Novamar
253-377-0649

He helped us out a lot and talked us thought all of our options and we picked a plan that worked best for our use. I am very happy with his service and advise.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Call the MTOA and ask if you can get coverage as a member. It’s $60 a year and we saved many times that the first year. They offer members policies from a couple of underwriters at lower rates and better coverage than those offered to non members. I suspect the age of your DeFever will not be an issue since our boat is an ‘86 too.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
https://maritimeinsuranceinternational.com/

I prefer to avoid single line insurance companies that do everything (Geico, Progressive, etc). I prefer using a multi-line agency that specializes in marine insurance representing a variety of insurance companies.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Its a tough market right now. A friend is in the process of buying a Selene here in Florida. He has a good resume but his agent has said that the number of underwriters has shrunk and some have limited the number of boats that they are insuring.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Second the recommendation for Peter Ricks, he has always come through for me, and he got us our current policy when Novamar decided to not cover hurricane belt areas.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
I have insurance for a 1983 Californian Scott Richards agency in Anacortes. Ask for Scot Bucanan.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
A third vote for Peter Ricks.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:11 PM   #11
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Forth vote for Peter Ricks. We just purchased a 1982, 50' Beebe Passagemaker located in Puget Sound. Insurance started on Monday. . . . As I understand it, Boat US elected not to respond with a quote. Peter got us insurance through Red Shield, who DOES NOT depreciate on less than total claims as many (if not most) of the other companies do.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:11 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
You are in the Puget Sound. Peter Ricks is in the Puget Sound. Peter used to be an underwriter for Geico Marine. He really understands the game. Peter has access to all the major players, Travelers, Markel, Red Shield and more.

Is this your first boat, are you moving up by 20 feet? There are many questions that affect Insurance. The boat and age will not be an issue for Peter. Even if you boating experience doesn't meet the underwriters standards Peter can get you on a program that will make the underwriters comfortable with you.

I think I'm the 4th or 5th vote for Peter. This should tell you something.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:38 PM   #13
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
I'm insured with Red Shield. A very good policy.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:49 AM   #14
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Try Hagerty. They insure wood and other older boats in US and Canadian waters to 25 miles out.

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Cl...Boat-Insurance
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Wappingers Falls, NY
Vessel Name: Dream Come True
Vessel Model: 2000 Rosborough RF-246 & 2018 18' Carolina Skiff Center Console
Received my Boat US/Geico boat insurance renewal this weak. Warning-I am a 25' pocket trawler........my cost may hurt some.

Last year my premium was $566 annually which they are raising 30% this year to $806 while decreasing my hull & equipment value by $15% (which I agree with for today's value) and they increased Fuel & Other Spills Liability to $997,100. Used the BoatUS declaration page to bid out to Chubb, Progressive and State Farm (SF insures my new 18' CC). Chubb did not respond yesterday, Progressive responded with $356 but with Fuel & Other Spills at $500K. Finally, State Farm increased Personal Medical 5X and Fuel & Other Liquid Spills was $500K at cost of $406.

State Farm also has our house, car, truck, boat and $1 million umbrella policies already bundled for us. Remember that the $1 million umbrella policy improves my Rosborough policy way better than BoatUS/Geico policy ever was. Purchased my new State Farm coverage yesterday then sent an e-mail to their monthly magazine publication last night explaining the Geico/Progressive/State Farm cost/coverage findings. Received an e-mail from a BoatUS rep. this morning thanking me for 14 years and no claims on the Rosborough (have actually insured other boats at BoatUS for 20+ years), how I am part of a larger pool to cover any future losses I may have. Bottom line I do not boat in hurricane areas and will never accept a 30% increase to improve their profits. Then spoke to a BoatUS insurance rep. and cancelled my Rosborough policy, but they will send a $70 refund since I am cancelling my policy prior to the expiration date.

Not expecting to see my e-mail in BoatUS' publication next month but it sure felt good to write it. In the meantime my improved State Farm policy is 50% of Geico's policy renewal fee and $150 less than I paid last year.

Leonard
Leonard Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Wappingers Falls, NY
Vessel Name: Dream Come True
Vessel Model: 2000 Rosborough RF-246 & 2018 18' Carolina Skiff Center Console
Received quote from Chubb last night which was also good alternative at $469 to BoatUS/Geico's $806. Similar coverage but Chubb provided medical coverage at $10K per incident, BoatUS/Geico only had $1K.

Still happy with our new policy at State Farm augmented by our umbrella policy.

Leonard
Leonard Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:23 PM   #17
Guru

City: Anacortes
I’ve been with Chubb for 15 years, one claim and they were super. Their policy was one of the best when I got it. With a 1980 boat they are still happy to sell me expensive insurance and have not dropped me, so that’s a bonus too.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #18

City: Austin, Texas
Vessel Name: Golden Eye
Vessel Model: Burger 52 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
Peter Ricks,
Novamar
253-377-0649

He helped us out a lot and talked us thought all of our options and we picked a plan that worked best for our use. I am very happy with his service and advise.
This pretty much sums it up.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Longboat Key
Insurance - Gowrie Group

No connection, just a satisfied customer: https://www.gowrie.com/
bill.kimbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Watertown
Vessel Name: Daruma One
Vessel Model: Formosa 41
Progressive offers boat insurance up to 75 miles offshore of the U.S. Don't know if that includes Hawaii or PR. Not too cheap. You may also need a survey to get full coverage

Oldsarge is offline   Reply With Quote