If You're Thinking Of Selling Now or Later

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidclark

Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Sooner or later your gonna sell your boat. If the dinghy is included in the sale, for the love of God and Country, have the dinghy paperwork ready. That means title in hand. If you don't have the title, get it. Yes, you may have to jump through some hoops, but it's far better to do it now then to jump through those hoops at closing and hold up that process on your big boat because the dink paperwork is not in order. I can't tell you how many closings have been delayed because of this one little detail. :banghead:

If all you have is a Bill of Sale from when you purchased the dink, then the BOS has to be notarized. If it's not notarized and you can't locate the old owner, then depending on what state you're trying to register the dink in, it can be a real PITA to get the dink registered. And no, you can't use the excuse it's a "Tender To" and not register. So, save yourself a headache and have the paperwork ready.

A public service message from your friendly broker...:D

Good advice. Thanks!

On the lake, there was a similar problem. People who wouldn't have the Title to their boat trailer. Some would have to submit to get duplicates and the state can be slow. Add to that some states title boats and not trailers and some title trailers and not boats.

That means title in hand. If you don't have the title, get it.

This is US State specific advise. I believe they title boats and also register outboards separately in the state of South Carolina. That is not the case in every state. (NH, CT and RI) are examples of Non-Title states for vessels. These states do not register their OB's either.

Certainly if it has a Title that is going to be required for transfer of ownership, however, as mentioned, not all states have titles.

This is US State specific advise. I believe they title boats and also register outboards separately in the state of South Carolina. That is not the case in every state. (NH, CT and RI) are examples of Non-Title states for vessels. These states do not register their OB's either.

Certainly if it has a Title that is going to be required for transfer of ownership, however, as mentioned, not all states have titles.

Yes, in South Carolina you have to also register the motor separately from the boat. I just checked CT and RI websites and unless I'm mis-reading, those states are title states. It looks like NH is not a title state, only issuing a registration certificate.

My point is, having the required paperwork in hand just makes the process flow so much easier...

Yes, in South Carolina you have to also register the motor separately from the boat. I just checked CT and RI websites and unless I'm mis-reading, those states are title states. It looks like NH is not a title state, only issuing a registration certificate.

My point is, having the required paperwork in hand just makes the process flow so much easier...

I have registered boats in both CT and RI and NH. I've owned the boats with no liens. I've never had a title for my boats in CT or NH. Interestingly, I found a section about titling boats in RI. I have to look to see if I have one stuffed in a file folder in a filing cabinet.

You are correct, I did find a title for RI. However, I currently have a boat registered in CT with no title and I didn't have one for the CT registered boat I sold in 2017 in CT.

Sid
For some of us we do not have a state registered vessel, only Documented. Also, in some locales the size of the dinghy and motor control the need to register.

On the lake, there was a similar problem. People who wouldn't have the Title to their boat trailer. Some would have to submit to get duplicates and the state can be slow. Add to that some states title boats and not trailers and some title trailers and not boats.

Super easy here in Maryland to get a duplicate title.

I got a duplicate title for my little sailboat a couple of months ago. Went to the office, waited about 10 minutes, turned in my brief one page form, paid the $2 fee, and walked out of the office with the title in my hand 10 minutes later! :)

If only the Dept. of Motor Vehicles was so easy!

Jim

Sid
For some of us we do not have a state registered vessel, only Documented. Also, in some locales the size of the dinghy and motor control the need to register.

The problem is usually not the big boat because yes, most of them are Documented. It's the dinghy paperwork that seems to always be an issue.

Super easy here in Maryland to get a duplicate title.

I got a duplicate title for my little sailboat a couple of months ago. Went to the office, waited about 10 minutes, turned in my brief one page form, paid the $2 fee, and walked out of the office with the title in my hand 10 minutes later! :)

If only the Dept. of Motor Vehicles was so easy!

Jim

Maryland, Delaware gotta love em. South Carolina will make you jump through some hoops....

The problem is usually not the big boat because yes, most of them are Documented. It's the dinghy paperwork that seems to always be an issue.

Do all dinghies need paperwork? Heck ours doesn't even have registration numbers. No numbers very common on the smaller ones with small OBs.

Do all dinghies need paperwork? Heck ours doesn't even have registration numbers. No numbers very common on the smaller ones with small OBs.

Depends on the state as to registration but all need some form of paperwork to be sold. Most states do require registration of all boats with motors. Some only above a certain horsepower.

Depends on the state as to registration but all need some form of paperwork to be sold. Most states do require registration of all boats with motors. Some only above a certain horsepower.

I haven't checked every state, but the only exception to not having paperwork is if the dinks only propulsion is via oars.

If you get stopped, especially in Florida and Maryland, they're gonna want to see the registration on your dinghy. The first year we were cruising I tried the "tender to" thing. That lasted until Florida and they just said fine, now where's the registration...

I bought a dink for 100 bucks at a flea market here in FL. It was a good one too. Then I put a motor on it and knew I needed to register. No title, bill of sale, nothing! Went to the FL licensing folks guess it was a FL bought boat and got a history of ownership a number of year old. Wrote the last guy who said it went to Alabama in a sale. Got the 'bama ex-owner to respond to a letter, but he never had it registered nor a title. Got my Alabama son-in-law to write me a bill-of-sale from him in that state and presented it to the FL authorities who issued me a new title.

In addition to this paperwork I handed over when the big boat and dink were sold, I prepared the USCG documentation transfer, the VHF radio MMSI transfer (a simple email to BoatUS did the trick), and the EPIRB transfer. If you don't, expect endless issues to haunt you forever.

Sid, when I bought my boat in Calif back in 2012 I had the previous owner sign over the title for the dinghy to me but never registered it as I just put it in storage. I am selling the boat now in Wash w/the dinghy. Am I likely to have issues transferring the dinghy over, the boat is registered in Alaska and they don’t issue titles for boats that size. You have me worried now.

Sid, when I bought my boat in Calif back in 2012 I had the previous owner sign over the title for the dinghy to me but never registered it as I just put it in storage. I am selling the boat now in Wash w/the dinghy. Am I likely to have issues transferring the dinghy over, the boat is registered in Alaska and they don’t issue titles for boats that size. You have me worried now.

What you have is a title in someone else's name, which does the new buyer no good at all. In order for him to title the boat in Washington, (https://parks.state.wa.us/461/Boat-registration), he's going to need the California title in your name with your signature signing it over to him. California is going to want their pound of flesh from not titling the boat back in 2012. A trip to the DMV is in order. I hope I'm wrong here...

What's the dinghy worth? Does it have a motor? It may be cheaper to keep the dinghy and give the seller the the motor and cash value of the dink.

What you have is a title in someone else's name, which does the new buyer no good at all. In order for him to title the boat in Washington, (https://parks.state.wa.us/461/Boat-registration), he's going to need the California title in your name with your signature signing it over to him. California is going to want their pound of flesh from not titling the boat back in 2012. A trip to the DMV is in order. I hope I'm wrong here...

What's the dinghy worth? Does it have a motor? It may be cheaper to keep the dinghy and give the seller the the motor and cash value of the dink.

The dinghy is a 40 hp and has almost no use. I think I can still register it in Alaska, my home state. I better get on it now though. Thanks!

Yes, I have that although it is dated 2012. It is signed over to me, so should be valid. I guess that I will find out.

I would give Alaska a call and see if that title will fly, because technically that title is not in your name.

My understanding:

SB 92 added titling in Alaska for boats. I would register and title the dinghy in Alaska. Then the sale is easy to handle. You just sign over and it's done.

My understanding:

SB 92 added titling in Alaska for boats. I would register and title the dinghy in Alaska. Then the sale is easy to handle. You just sign over and it's done.

Yes, I had to deal with that on my larger boat but the smaller boats aren’t affected yet. I am going ahead with the dinghy registration now though. Thx.

Yes, I had to deal with that on my larger boat but the smaller boats aren’t affected yet. I am going ahead with the dinghy registration now though. Thx.

I think on the smaller you may not be forced to title yet, but may be able to. Check and see.

Great info and reminder for everyone. Thanks for this easily overlooked issue.

How did you make out with Alaska?

It turned out that the dinghy was registered in Alaska in 2011 when I bought the boat and not renewed after it expired. All I had to do was renew the registration by mail and they sent me the form to transfer ownership. The new title requirement for boats in AK is only for larger boats. Dodged a bullet!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom