If You're Thinking Of Selling Now or Later

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It turned out that the dinghy was registered in Alaska in 2011 when I bought the boat and not renewed after it expired. All I had to do was renew the registration by mail and they sent me the form to transfer ownership. The new title requirement for boats in AK is only for larger boats. Dodged a bullet!

Glad to hear that it worked out!

It turned out that the dinghy was registered in Alaska in 2011 when I bought the boat and not renewed after it expired. All I had to do was renew the registration by mail and they sent me the form to transfer ownership. The new title requirement for boats in AK is only for larger boats. Dodged a bullet![/QUOTE

It is so nice when things work out. Good job!

I bought a 14ft tin boat one time from a guy that had advertised it on a buy and sell. I purchased it and got a BOS from him but it had never been registered. The chain of ownership to the best of his knowledge was, a Canadian had bought it and never registered it as it was under 9.9hp, sold it for cash to his grandfather, a US citizen that had a cottage in Ontario. His grandfather passed away and it was left to his dad. His dad after a number of years gave it to him. Try to prove legal ownership!!!! I got a letter from this guy which I had him get notarized to state what he believed to be the truth and one from his dad as well. I was then told by our government that I had to draft a letter essentially saying that I had no reason to believe that there was any dishonesty in the chain of ownership and that I believed the boat was being sold by it's legitimate owner, got my letter notarized and submitted everything and after many months finally got a registration in my name. What a PITA. The OP gives good advice, get this all done long in advance!

Depends on the state as to registration but all need some form of paperwork to be sold. Most states do require registration of all boats with motors. Some only above a certain horsepower.

In our state, no registration is necessary for unpowered vessels.

And, we also have the option of having powered vessels titled, or just registered. Most people just register them here, especially dinghies and skiffs. That's all I've ever done (not counting the ones I documented, which in our state then don't even have to be registered).

I bought a 14ft tin boat one time from a guy that had advertised it on a buy and sell. I purchased it and got a BOS from him but it had never been registered. The chain of ownership to the best of his knowledge was, a Canadian had bought it and never registered it as it was under 9.9hp, sold it for cash to his grandfather, a US citizen that had a cottage in Ontario. His grandfather passed away and it was left to his dad. His dad after a number of years gave it to him. Try to prove legal ownership!!!! I got a letter from this guy which I had him get notarized to state what he believed to be the truth and one from his dad as well. I was then told by our government that I had to draft a letter essentially saying that I had no reason to believe that there was any dishonesty in the chain of ownership and that I believed the boat was being sold by it's legitimate owner, got my letter notarized and submitted everything and after many months finally got a registration in my name. What a PITA. The OP gives good advice, get this all done long in advance!
LOL. When I sold my last boat I pulled together my registration documents which were on board as required.
A thought went through my head then, what if my boat was stolen. Boat and papers in the hands of the thief. How hard is it to have a buddy sign the reg and BOS and the thief registers the boat or sells it to a third party.
Note: You can either "license" or "register" your pleasure craft. A "licensed" pleasure craft is different from a "registered" pleasure craft.

There does not appear to be an online search for owner of a licensed vessel as there is for a registered vessel.

Back
Top Bottom