I got 99 problems, and lack of HIN is like, 86 of 'em

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The HIN was checked on my boat during the survey. Surveyor used a pencil to trace it onto a paper and included a photo of the tracing with the survey. We had an escrow/documentation company handle the paperwork so I am not sure exactly what the paper flow was. I just signed in a bunch of places and they gave me copies. About 3 months later documentation showed up.

Awesome news, Wayfarer! Congratulations. Fingers' crossed the rest of the process continues smoothly and you'll be the proud new owner soon. Looking forward to photos and stories of your adventures.

John

Try Cindy Lewis at Sterling Financial 410-903-6611 and see if she thinks she has a boat lender that can let you get the boat financed and back to NY and then get a HIN issued. She was very good to work with when we bought our boat.

We likewise used Sterling for our boat. Ours was a little complicated in that the boat had been documented but the previous owner was Canadian, so it had to be 'un-documented' and then we got it re-documented. Sterling waded through all this for us.

The settlement was fun day, it was the start of a pretty heavy snowstorm but we got there and back home before the roads became impassible. Which is, of course, laughable compared to places that get REAL quantities of snow, but that's a different subject.

Several questions?
Does the boat have a permanent serial # plate somewhere attached to the hull in the bilge area? Have you looked at the rear upper right on the transom closely? They may have inscribed a number there that relates to a HIN number.
I have an old Formosa sailboat built before 1973 which was the year that they started making HIN numbers mandatory, but I do have a HIN number issued by Washington state. Additionally at a cost you might be able to get the boat documented by using a marine documentation service which I ended up doing. A professional service will know all the in's and out's, and may be able to help you. Anticipate several hundred dollars of cost for these type services.

Yes, foreign boats built in 1972 didn't have HIN numbers, but I read that it was mandatory in 1973 for all boats sold in the U.S.

Several questions?
Does the boat have a permanent serial # plate somewhere attached to the hull in the bilge area? Have you looked at the rear upper right on the transom closely? They may have inscribed a number there that relates to a HIN number.
I have an old Formosa sailboat built before 1973 which was the year that they started making HIN numbers mandatory, but I do have a HIN number issued by Washington state. Additionally at a cost you might be able to get the boat documented by using a marine documentation service which I ended up doing. A professional service will know all the in's and out's, and may be able to help you. Anticipate several hundred dollars of cost for these type services.

Yes, foreign boats built in 1972 didn't have HIN numbers, but I read that it was mandatory in 1973 for all boats sold in the U.S.

Hey Sarge,

There was no number on the transom, or anywhere else that I saw. The previous owner, who owned the boat for more than 20 years, and literally gutted her down to bare metal and rebuilt her, also said that she had no HIN.

The only number I found was the Canadian registration number, which is welded to a plate in the engine room. Since she is no longer registered in Canada, that number is now meaningless.

The boat was built in Canada, and their requirement for a HIN didn't go into effect until 1982 I think.

I am in the process of documenting the boat with the USCG, as my bank requires it. I'm also in the process of getting a HIN assigned to the boat by NY state. My application is in, and I'm just waiting for a call from the local sheriff's department. They'll be the ones to inspect the boat and give her a HIN.

This process has taken quite a bit longer than I'd have expected.

My boat originally had a HIN when it arrived in the US. Shortly after arriving the boat went through major modifications and the HIN was glasses over. The original number exists in all the documentation. To save grief in the future I had the HIN engraved on a plate that is now bonded in the area of the original HIN location.

Back
Top Bottom