Hurricane Rider Fun...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have dealt with this issue for decades. Have come to think depending upon others for the safety of your boat leads to stress. You wonder if she’ll be hauled. Are the nearby boats correctly secured? Will the storm hit me? Have you done proper preparation or missed something? In my garage are massive straps pantaneous required when we left our boat briefly in St.Lucia to return home for awhile. They required massive blocks every ten feet and these massive straps. They further required all coverings be removed which meant yacht management to come and remove our cloth covering which protects the boat from dirt and UV while on the hard. Still there was an additional premium.
I did that once. Before and since simply move the boat out of the zone during the season. Even if it means the boat s far away it’s still available for use. Total flights and travel still ends up cheaper than premium in the zone. So would move the boat either above (Naragansett bay) or below(Grenada southern bays) the zone.
Current boat has shorter legs than past so plan modified. New England for the the hurricane season and coastal SE US/Bahamas for winter. Allow 2-3weeks biannually for travel so not stressed and can have good weather windows.
Not a fan of Q-tip land. Too crowded. Too expensive. Artificial environment. West coast is better in some respects but still difficult.
Other option is Indian town or similar inland setting but too far from anywhere you might want to be.
Apologize in advance to those who love Florida. Think it would be wonderful if everyone went home and it returned to John D. McDonald’s Florida but it’s Carl Haasens Florida at this point.

Don't forget or overlook Lloyd's as a possibility. They do still have companies in their group insuring although have tightened. Many brokers do write through them. Always someone we hold out as a last resort although often they have become our first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom