General etiquette when initially viewing a boat questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB42 https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1975-grand-banks-42-classic-8401917/

The main (drawback) was the master suite and the bed layout. We call it the "we'll talk about it in the morning" layout and there isn't any possible way to get a queen in there without completely blocking access to the master head. And forget about a king.

I just bought a GB42 with the same layout. We were able to convert to a regular double ("full size") bed athwartships while still allowing the bathroom door to open fully. Not walkaround, but . . .

That was a "thing" for us too.

What's the smallest boat with a regulation "stock" queen size bed. One that you get at a mattress store? I have a hard enough time sleeping on a good bed let alone some custom fabbed piece of foam covered in cloth.

That was a "thing" for us too.

What's the smallest boat with a regulation "stock" queen size bed. One that you get at a mattress store? I have a hard enough time sleeping on a good bed let alone some custom fabbed piece of foam covered in cloth.

Beware - many boats claim an "island queen", but I have seen many of these which do not actually measure at queen dimensions.

Yeah, that's why I measured it - :)

Sea Ray 410 https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1987-sea-ray-410-aft-cabin-8337971/

This was purely to see what a sundeck layout felt like.

Good comments. FWIW, what you saw in the "sundeck" model is often applicable to domestically-produced boats on YW labeled "motor yachts" or "aft cabin motor yachts" -- no matter brand.

A "cockpit" motor yacht is generally similar, although the cockpit tacked onto the stern can probably be a useful improvement.

Which leads to... Hatteras made some models similar to what you looked at, but with a cockpit added. You can get Hatt info for most all models on the Sam's Marine (I think?) site.

A big tacked-on swim platform might add docking issues, and then that whole following seas thing would be a biggy. Better stairs to an existing platform might be a middle-ground approach.

-Chris

Good comments. FWIW, what you saw in the "sundeck" model is often applicable to domestically-produced boats on YW labeled "motor yachts" or "aft cabin motor yachts" -- no matter brand.

A "cockpit" motor yacht is generally similar, although the cockpit tacked onto the stern can probably be a useful improvement.

Which leads to... Hatteras made some models similar to what you looked at, but with a cockpit added. You can get Hatt info for most all models on the Sam's Marine (I think?) site.

A big tacked-on swim platform might add docking issues, and then that whole following seas thing would be a biggy. Better stairs to an existing platform might be a middle-ground approach.

-Chris

Heck... in regard to: "A big tacked-on swim platform might add docking issues, and then that whole following seas thing would be a biggy. Better stairs to an existing platform might be a middle-ground approach."

12v vertical lift apparatus could be designed and fastened to transom [for either side or in middle of existing swim platform]. Probably fairly costly, but doable without enlarging swim platform to potentially dangerous 4 or 5 foot depth. Platform enlargement and stairs as compared to lift apparatus would likely be more costly than a "lift". Also, installing the offsite built lift would only tie up the Hatt for a day +/-; and, could be done while boat stays wet. Correctly modifying the swim platform to become 4 or 5 foot deep, with stairs correctly included, is a BIG, entailed project. I imagine quite a while on the hard while very professional boatwrights fabricate and permanently attach items right onto the boat's transom, aft bottom plane and maybe even the edges of hull sides too!

Happy Boat-Search Daze!! - Art :speed boat:

The OP seems to be leaning toward Hatteras. The 53 Yachtfish checks most of the boxes (although it does have staircases everywhere...galley, staterooms, cockpit.....so do the motoryachts...

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1987-hatteras-53-yachtfish-cockpit-motorycht-8296591/

It was our first choice until we thought about fuel prices, maintenance on a beast of a boat, and slip/storage costs. Second choice was the OA 44 sundeck with cockpit and side door adjacent to the lower helm. Hand rails and decent sized side decks forward. Small diesels for good fuel economy, drop dead gorgeous interiors. The cockpit is virtually essential for the ubiquitous floating docks on the Great Lakes, and safe dinghy access. Efficient, nice riding, "dry" Ed Monk Semi-displacement hull. Yes, the configuration has short staircases. My spouse and I are currently in our mid-70's and look at it as great exercise. Beyond that the configuration is ideal. That Sea Ray 410 is a flimsy toy in comparison.

IMG_4239 (1).jpg
IMG_4248 (5).jpg

Last edited:
The OP seems to be leaning toward Hatteras. The 53 Yachtfish checks most of the boxes (although it does have staircases everywhere...galley, staterooms, cockpit.....so do the motoryachts...

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1987-hatteras-53-yachtfish-cockpit-motorycht-8296591/

It was our first choice until we thought about fuel prices, maintenance on a beast of a boat, and slip/storage costs.

The two Hatt Yacht Fisherman models that I know about -- 53 and 58 -- comes close to my idea of a nifty boat.

Too many dealbreakers as they were built -- ladder to the flybridge, 2-stroke DDs, some 32VDC systems -- so I never pursued one further. OTOH, the concept floats my boat pretty nicely.

The helm aft on the flybridge is a very useful feature, for us. No need to have a co-pilot talk me into a slip stern-to...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom