Old 02-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #1

City: Charleston
Vessel Name: THIRD CHILD
Vessel Model: KADEY KROGEN 48AE
FL registration

Can I register a boat ( which may be purchased in FL) at my Florida address if it is a lot with a street address, but no home built? It has a dock.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If there's a mailbox for them to deliver the mail you can. All you need is a mailing address as they don't assume you are keeping the boat at your house. You might even be able to use an out of state mailing address. What's important is that you send them money.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
...All you need is a mailing address as they don't assume you are keeping the boat at your house. You might even be able to use an out of state mailing address. What's important is that you send them money.

Ted
When we first registered Hobo in Florida, we were Washington State residents and used our Washington address. When we changed our residency last December to Florida and got our Florida drivers licenses, the DMV automatically changed our address. Along Ted's line, they just want their money.

If in doubt ask the DMV.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Can I register a boat ( which may be purchased in FL) at my Florida address if it is a lot with a street address, but no home built? It has a dock.
They will be sending renewal notices to the address listed on your registration application. If there's no mailbox and/or nobody to check the mail, you're going to have a problem.

For the most accurate advice, I suggest asking the people where you register the boat. DNR or whatever it is called in FL.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
They will be sending renewal notices to the address listed on your registration application. If there's no mailbox and/or nobody to check the mail, you're going to have a problem.

For the most accurate advice, I suggest asking the people where you register the boat. DNR or whatever it is called in FL.
They are the same agency as Department of Motor vehicles, and have no problem differentiating the physical address from the mailing address. My physical address is different from my mailing address for all vehicles, boats, tax bills, voter forms, licenses, and permits. I use a mailbox at a shipping store, and FL has no problem with that. FL get it right every time; they really want the money!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #6

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
What is your impression of FL vs WA? I'm thinking of doing this myself! I'm in Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
When we first registered Hobo in Florida, we were Washington State residents and used our Washington address. When we changed our residency last December to Florida and got our Florida drivers licenses, the DMV automatically changed our address. Along Ted's line, they just want their money.

If in doubt ask the DMV.
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
What is your impression of FL vs WA? I'm thinking of doing this myself! I'm in Seattle.
I'm not sure I understand your question but here goes. Changing residency/addresses was easy and no real cost. No state income income tax in either state. As far as the weather, population and politics, we'll leave that for another thread.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
lol. we know the weather is no fun from November til March. Summer is great though and really dry - I assume you agree with this....

WA is teetering on the verge of being California tax-wise. Seattle especially. The hubris is amazing.

Politically is great outside of Seattle metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question but here goes. Changing residency/addresses was easy and no real cost. No state income income tax in either state. As far as the weather, population and politics, we'll leave that for another thread.
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:35 AM   #9
FF
Guru

If the boat is an "antique" over 30 years , after the first year you can get an antique registration.

For LUCY our 50 ft Navy Launch conversion a 2 year FL renewal was $7.50 total.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #10

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
We did it with Becca and they had no problem taking the sales tax too.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
In FL, you can use whatever address you wish, PO, home, wherever. And you really don't have to receive mail, if you don't want. You can still pay the bill every year without an address (but they like one).

Yes, they just want the money.