Frn fcc.. Mmsi help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muirgen Afloat

Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
Beebe passagemaker 50
Okay.. I think I'm halfway intelligent, but I am so confused. I got an FRN # and registered with the FCC.. but where do I go from there?

We will be traveling internationally.. so I know I need a MMSI number and have to do some sort of licensing or some other things will all the radios.. .but this is so far out of the norm for me I have no idea.

Can someone give me some direction here.. also on the AIS thing?

This is a very confusing thing to do for sure.

Goto: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/universal-licensing-system

In the middle of the screen there is a section for 'File Online'. Click There.

Login using your FRN.

Now you are in the license manager. On the left hand side, there is a link 'Apply for new License', click that.

I believe you choose 'SA or SB - Ship' as the radio service.

Now you answer questions and eventually pay fees, I'm not sure what the process is beyond those steps. I ended up getting my MMSI through boatus, but that doesn't work if you plan to travel to foreign ports and you have to go through the FCC as above.

You probably will want a Restricted Radio Operators license. Think to operate the radio in foreign countries you need that, maybe?

This is a very confusing thing to do for sure.

Goto: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/universal-licensing-system

In the middle of the screen there is a section for 'File Online'. Click There.

Login using your FRN.

Now you are in the license manager. On the left hand side, there is a link 'Apply for new License', click that.

I believe you choose 'SA or SB - Ship' as the radio service.

Now you answer questions and eventually pay fees, I'm not sure what the process is beyond those steps. I ended up getting my MMSI through boatus, but that doesn't work if you plan to travel to foreign ports and you have to go through the FCC as above.

Thanks.. I think I did it right. God I hope so.. Not sure on the MMSI number yet.. think the license part I did will get me it, but who knows. UGH!

You probably will want a Restricted Radio Operators license. Think to operate the radio in foreign countries you need that, maybe?

Thanks.. I think I did it right. Cross my fingers and toes... What a pain!

Yes, it's a real pain and certainly NOT intuitive. Between a dozen emails and several phone calls, I believe I got it done, too..... but they say it's "pending" (of course, after they took my money). It's been a week.

Years ago, with the paper app, it just worked super easy... AND was free.

And, if you need, PM me and I'll send you the lastest email I got from the FCC that worked. (too big to post here... need your real email)

Thanks.. I think I did it right. Cross my fingers and toes... What a pain!
I guess I need to get a permit too to go to Canada but using the FCC site just goes in circles and ends up trying to give me another Station License. I could not find a link to just get the Radiotelephone Restricted Operator Permit. I already have an FCC Station License. Does anyone even check for it in Canada?

People aren't born knowing this stuff, but you are expected to know it anyway.....:facepalm:

You need two licenses, both obtainable online via your FRN login on the FCC site.

1) You need an RR license, which is a Restricted Radio Operators license. That licenses you as an individual to operate the radio.

2) You need an SA license, which is the "ships station license" for the equipment on the boat. All radios on the boat will be covered by the same license. When you are applying for the SA license, it will ask you if you want an MMSI, or if you already have one that you want to reuse. Just say you want a new one and they will assign you one with your SA license. You SA license will also include a call sign for your station.

You will get both licenses within a day or two and can download and print them, save as a PDF, etc. I think they still send a hard copy in the main as well.

People aren't born knowing this stuff, but you are expected to know it anyway.....:facepalm:

You need two licenses, both obtainable online via your FRN login on the FCC site.

1) You need an RR license, which is a Restricted Radio Operators license. That licenses you as an individual to operate the radio.

2) You need an SA license, which is the "ships station license" for the equipment on the boat. All radios on the boat will be covered by the same license. When you are applying for the SA license, it will ask you if you want an MMSI, or if you already have one that you want to reuse. Just say you want a new one and they will assign you one with your SA license. You SA license will also include a call sign for your station.

You will get both licenses within a day or two and can download and print them, save as a PDF, etc. I think they still send a hard copy in the main as well.

I am hoping that everything I filled out will give me both of what I need. At this point I don't remember everything I filled out.. but I was charged for two things.. so hopefully they are the right ones. Why make it so difficult?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom