Florida Registration Service?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyp

I have a boat that is USCG documented that I have registered in NY for the past 5 years (just the required sticker).

Just before the coronavirus I decided that it is staying in Florida but of course DMV closed down, etc.

I'm back in NY and would like to register it in Florida and I'd like to get it done before my NY registration expires at the end of June.

Do I have to go down to Florida and do this in person or does anybody know a service that I can pay a fee to get it done without having to travel to Florida?

Be careful as there are a lot of third party sites that offer to do this for an added fee.

We use www.GoRenew.com

Not sure how it will work for someone who is not already registered and needs a new document and a state change, but go have a look.

Edit: looked some more and you have to turn up in person based on the info here:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicles-tags-titles/vessels/vessel-titling-registrations/

Worth a call to one of the tax offices to see how you can authorize a third party to do it for you. https://www.flhsmv.gov/locations/duval/

Last edited:
I have a boat that is USCG documented that I have registered in NY for the past 5 years (just the required sticker).

Just before the coronavirus I decided that it is staying in Florida but of course DMV closed down, etc.

I'm back in NY and would like to register it in Florida and I'd like to get it done before my NY registration expires at the end of June.

Do I have to go down to Florida and do this in person or does anybody know a service that I can pay a fee to get it done without having to travel to Florida?

FWIW - Florida has a travel restriction in place for anyone visiting Florida before July 1st if they come from certain states , NY is one of them.
You can look it up on the visit Florida site here:
https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/current-travel-safety-information.html

1) Florida vessels are registered with the County tax collector

2) The tax collector and DMV are not closed in Florida, you simply need to make an appointment.

3) It's not like a car registration. You don't need to register in one place before the previous states registration expires.

4) A documented vessel must be registered in Florida, if used on Florida waters for longer than 90 days.

Your NY registration has nothing to do with your Florida Registration. You can be registered in both states. In fact, if you snow-bird you would need to be registered in BOTH states. If you never stay in any state longer than their requirement you can legally not be registered in ANY state.

We used Arts Tags and Titles when Hobo came to Florida from Alaska. They charged $45 on top of all the state and local fees. I sent them copies of the vessel documentation and our driver’s licenses. It took about a week. We did everything over the phone.

Art's Tags & Title Service
1719 S Andrews Ave
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(954) 463-1050

Last edited:
Thanks Larry, I'll give them a call on Monday otherwise I'll just spend the $100 on a NYS renewal until I can get down to Florida.

We used Peggy Vann from Vann Maritime to do all the paperwork in Florida on our documented boat. Her office is now in Georgia, but she was in Florida for decades. She knows her stuff is is reasonably priced

We used Peggy Vann from Vann Maritime to do all the paperwork in Florida on our documented boat. Her office is now in Georgia, but she was in Florida for decades. She knows her stuff is is reasonably priced

That's who we used for Sonas. Though the boat was already registered in FL.

Thanks Larry, I'll give them a call on Monday otherwise I'll just spend the $100 on a NYS renewal until I can get down to Florida.

If you're going to register in FL. there is no point in renewing in NY if the boat is not currently IN NY.

Call your county in Florida and ask them how to proceed. At a minimum they will be more than friendly, and more than likely will talk you thru the process.

:iagree:
Florida offices will give you advise on registering your boat, call them.
We files our homestead exemption on line last January. A few emailed documents and DONE. :)

Back
Top Bottom