Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbarbarian View Post
Newbie question
What is a USGC documented ship ?
I live on the Mississippi and we don't document.
Advantages and disadvantages ?

I'm trying to learn on this stuff
Welcome! This link should answer most your questions. If it doesn't, then come back here.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page
Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #102

City: Richmond
Documentation renewal

Just a reminder to all you owners of documented boats, when it comes time to renew, only go to the CG documentation website and renew for $26. If you get a reminder letter and it gives you a website address and they want $75, that is not the CG website but a private documentation service. The letter looks very official and fools many people into thinking it came from the CG. It even has a West VA return address even though it was mailed from CAL.
BEWARE!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #103
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Thanks! Good info.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #104
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
The letter I got was from uscgdocumentation.us. Thinking that these guys might be authorized agents, I took the letter to the local USCG office, who said it was a scam.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
The letter I got was from uscgdocumentation.us. Thinking that these guys might be authorized agents, I took the letter to the local USCG office, who said it was a scam.
Well, it's not a scam. They are a legitimate documentation service. I fell for it thinking I was dealing with the CG. Paid my $75 and I did get my renewal document.

Legal, probably yes. Ethical...no way. The reminder letter and website are both designed to make people think they are dealing with the CG.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #106

Here's the legitimate CG web site. Only use this.

https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/
Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #107
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
It may be worth paying a service for your original documentation. It's certainly not for renewal. They send you a letter, you sign it and send it back with the fee (now $26, it used to be free).
Old 04-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
It may be worth paying a service for your original documentation. It's certainly not for renewal. They send you a letter, you sign it and send it back with the fee (now $26, it used to be free).
I agree that under certain circumstances, it might be prudent to use a service for the original documentation. I only did once because I didn't know anything about documentation and the yacht broker handled it. Since then, I've always done it myself.

As far as renewal goes....it's like changing a burned out light bulb. I can do it myself for the cost of the bulb or I can pay an electrician $100 to do it for me.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #109

Here's a press release from BOAT US about this.

https://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=1280
Old 04-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #110

I fell for this scam as well as a lot of people. I'm doing everything I can on this as well as other boating forums to alert as many people as possible.
Pass the word to anyone with a documented boat. Let's keep this thread at the top of the page
Old 04-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #111

Bump. I want to alert as many people as possible.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbarbarian View Post
Newbie question
What is a USGC documented ship ?
I live on the Mississippi and we don't document.
Advantages and disadvantages ?

I'm trying to learn on this stuff
If you see a boat that has no state numbers on the bow, it is Coast Guard Documented. You won't see many, if any, under 28-30' and quite a few over 40' will be documented. The bigger the boat, the more likely to be documented. There are pros and cons and also has to do with the state you live in. Most states require documented boats to be state registered as well. Some , like VA where I am does not.
The states that require it still make you put a state registration sticker on the boat, but you do not put state numbers on it.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #113
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Probably the same people who masquerade as the USPS address change site and charge you $20 for the same service the USPS charges $1 for.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:28 AM   #114
Veteran Member

City: Prescott
Vessel Name: JOURNEY
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Mine is 24ft. 10in. and is in the process of being documented right now. To answer the question of why to get a boat documented, I did it so I wouldn't have to put up with all the different state laws on registion. We plan to use of boat in many different states, leave it stored between trips in some of these states, and don't want the state saying we have to register it there because it is there more than 90 days.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #115

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Mine is 24ft. 10in. and is in the process of being documented right now. To answer the question of why to get a boat documented, I did it so I wouldn't have to put up with all the different state laws on registion. We plan to use of boat in many different states, leave it stored between trips in some of these states, and don't want the state saying we have to register it there because it is there more than 90 days.

Interesting... you might check States like Florida...I think the ninety days you mentioned may not apply. Also you must have a heavy boat..I thought 5 net Tons was the minimum for documentation but I'm not sure it's enforced.

https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF
Old 04-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #116
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
...I did it so I wouldn't have to put up with all the different state laws on registion...
Most states I've heard of still want their registration fee and/or excise tax revenue, even if you're federally documented.

The only federal requirement is that the state can't force you to put registration numbers on the forward half of the hull. In fact, you're prohibited from putting any numbers there if the boat is federally documented.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #117
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
In CO the boat trailer needed papers and a license. This covered the cost of the boat license too. Maybe things have changed, that was 15 years ago.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Most states I've heard of still want their registration fee and/or excise tax revenue, even if you're federally documented.

The only federal requirement is that the state can't force you to put registration numbers on the forward half of the hull. In fact, you're prohibited from putting any numbers there if the boat is federally documented.
I'm in VA and it's optional to register documented boats. I never have as there is no need to.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #119
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottsville View Post
Also you must have a heavy boat..I thought 5 net Tons was the minimum for documentation but I'm not sure it's enforced.

https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF
It's based on a theoretical volume, not weight.

https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/forms/cg1261.pdf
Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #120
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I just realized after reading this thread that I've never gotten a renewal for my documentation. I know (or thought) the boat was documented because the lender required it.

Interesting...
How long have you had the boat?
Closed Thread

Tags
documentation, john soria, uscgdocumentation.us