Documented boats in Vermont?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blues

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Fish Camp
Vessel Make
Eagle 32
I recently bought a Documented boat in Maine and recently brought it to Vermont which is my home base. I could continue with it’s Documented status but, as I understand it, I would still need to pay Sales tax in VT and have a VT registration. Anyone one know if my understanding is correct?

I recently bought a Documented boat in Maine and recently brought it to Vermont which is my home base. I could continue with it’s Documented status but, as I understand it, I would still need to pay Sales tax in VT and have a VT registration. Anyone one know if my understanding is correct?

Most likely you will need to register it and pay sales tax in Vermont. But I am not familiar with Vermont laws so I would check with the agency that registers boats in Vermont.

Dunno about Vermont, but...

Sales tax is a whole separate issue from whether to remain documented or to instead get a state title.

"Registration" may be something simple. Here where we are, documented boats are also "registered" in a way. That is, we must pay a nominal fee to get a sticker that says we're a documented boat and MD knows about it. Not connected to a titling process, given we're documented.

Here, a state title for boats includes a similar sticker... and registration numbers on the hull.

-Chris

I interpret this as no on the registration requirement.
Not sure how you'd pay the sale tax, usually you pay that when you register and or title it.

Edit: could probably be interpreted either way?

Attachments

• Vermont registration snip.jpg
    Vermont registration snip.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I interpret this as no on the registration requirement.
Not sure how you'd pay the sale tax, usually you pay that when you register and or title it.

Edit: could probably be interpreted either way?

I’m a Vermont resident and my read is the same as yours. Documented boats do not get separately state registered. Your documentation meets state’s requirements.

I’m not sure about paying sales or use tax, and whether it’s even due on a boat purchased out of state. My boat has not been in Vermont, so no taxes triggered so I haven’t investigated further. Please let me know what you find.

Careful as there is a difference between being registered and being validated in VT

Not needing to register doesn't mean no need to do anything beyond documentation. Vessels in VT

"Vessels documented by the USCG or registered legally in another state or country must validate their registration numbers by obtaining a validation sticker from the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if the vessels are on Vermont waters for at least 60 days in a calendar year."

"What Do I Need to Obtain a Validation Sticker?

Application for vessel validation.
2. Proof of valid registration or documentation from another state or province.
3. Vermont Sales & Use Tax Return or proof that Vermont Sales and Use Tax has been paid, or proof of tax paid in another state.
4. Proper "

Careful as there is a difference between being registered and being validated in VT

Not needing to register doesn't mean no need to do anything beyond documentation. Vessels in VT

"Vessels documented by the USCG or registered legally in another state or country must validate their registration numbers by obtaining a validation sticker from the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if the vessels are on Vermont waters for at least 60 days in a calendar year."

3. Vermont Sales & Use Tax Return or proof that Vermont Sales and Use Tax has been paid, or proof of tax paid in another state.
4. Proper "

OK, so that's the mechanism to collect use tax when the boat is brought into VT. Good to know - thanks.

Michigan will get you if you have a boat that is documented but not registered in a state if you are in Michigan too long. Not sure what the limit is but worth being careful. They want the registration fees and the sales tax.

Michigan will get you if you have a boat that is documented but not registered in a state if you are in Michigan too long. Not sure what the limit is but worth being careful. They want the registration fees and the sales tax.

As well any other state that registers Documented vessels. There are a few that don't.

4. Proper "

What are the rules in New York which is a mere 10 miles away?

Documented boats in NY require registration. Only difference is NY doesnt issue NY Reg #s they just collect any sales tax, issue a sticker and collect the Registration $. I have to display the Reg sticker but no #s. That is similar to many but not all ststes.

Documented boats in NY require registration. Only difference is NYbdoesnt N issue NY Reg #s they just collect any sales tax, issue a sticker and collect the Registration $. I hacebto display the Reg sticker but no #s. That is similar to many but not all ststes.

Actually it's illegal to display state numbers on a Documented boat so no state requires it. They may issue numbers (Michigan does) but you don't display them. You do display the tax stickers if your state issues them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom