Old 11-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Nashville
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I would think a documented vessel would be easier to sell if the buyer had to finance it.

Is that true?

Hawk

Hawkshaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #22
Guru

City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw1 View Post
I would think a documented vessel would be easier to sell if the buyer had to finance it.

Is that true?

Hawk
As a buyer, I found it lots easier to purchase without the USCG hassle.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #23

City: RIchmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Flamingo View Post
I had heard that a documentation service was faster, so I paid the $400 and was certified in a month, just in time for Covid to shut everything down. So it turned out that faster didn't matter.
Old post, but thought I would add to it....
In speaking with a CG doc office employee one day, I asked about documentation services. I was told, doc services DO NOT get a pass to the front of the line. Strickly, first come, first served.

Now, I will say, since they do this on a daily basis, they probably make fewer mistakes than the average boat owner, so in all probability, they do get things done faster, simply by doing it right the first time.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #24
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have done it both ways. It isnít difficult but it is easy to make mistakes and that is why a lot get rejected and have to be done over.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Wasasy for me to self-document the boat. The only tricky part was to obtain the critical boat dimensions to calculate its theoretical "volume." The boat's builder provided that information, but don't know how a documentation service could do that, particularly for a low-volume boat such as mine. (Am sixth of seven.)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:06 PM   #26
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I took my measurements off the factory line drawings and got the measurements that way. Pretty easy.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:52 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
In speaking with a CG doc office employee one day, I asked about documentation services. I was told, doc services DO NOT get a pass to the front of the line. Strickly, first come, first served.

Now, I will say, since they do this on a daily basis, they probably make fewer mistakes than the average boat owner, so in all probability, they do get things done faster, simply by doing it right the first time.
Also consider that they submit in bulk. Many years ago, while living in Mass you used to be able to get your insurance agent to register your car for you. I had an agent in front of me in line. When it was her turn, she registered 12 vehicles.

So while I was next, it was like all of a sudden being in the back of a 12 person line.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #28
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Overall, for most of us, documentation is a waste of time and money and serves no value.

But, if I were to do it, I'd ABSOLUTELY do it myself. No need to pay a fee for someone to do the same thing that I'll do. And, if a mistake is make, they'll let you know. No big deal.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
I had buddies tell me to doc my current boat vs registering it with the state. "Oh, you'll save money!" Not so in VA with my boat.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #30

City: RIchmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I had buddies tell me to doc my current boat vs registering it with the state. "Oh, you'll save money!" Not so in VA with my boat.
Why did they tell you that you would save money? True, in VA you do not have to state register your boat which saves money, but overall, documenting does cost a little more than registering.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #31
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Unless it's changed, in transferring title within the US, you walk into a USCG office, pay a fee (use to be free), and walk out with your papers. What's easier than that? The CG is much faster than DMV.

Documentation services are like any office. Your papers go into someone's in basket. If they're busy, your papers could wait a long time. Then they get mailed and put into someone's in basket. If they're busy, your papers could wait a long time. Then papers get mailed. If the USPS is busy, your papers could take a long time.
In the old days, when I was young, your documentation papers were printed on index and folded into 6 panels. If the boat specs stayed the same, the old owner signed his spot on the back and the CG filled in and stamped a spot for you. You walked out with the same papers.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
document, documented boat, service