Old 03-19-2022, 10:59 AM   #101
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

you still have cheap diesel, the same price we had before the war. Now here diesel costs about $ 11 a gallon, in Finland the standard of living is about the same as you have, so still enjoy cheap fuel...

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #102
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Ketchikan- $4.53 Diesel
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:46 PM   #103
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Well, we have hit US $7.12 a gallon(US) here at our club in Sydney. It jumped 58 cents a liter in two days!

Without getting too political it goes to show how fragile the world economy is in relation to dealing with autocratic states with their own agendas, not caring what damage and misery they inflict.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:41 PM   #104
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
5.53/Gal includes tax, Anacortes. on Sunday
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:37 PM   #105

City: Salt Spring Island, BC
Yesterday, at an unnamed marina in BC's Southern Gulf Islands, the diesel was C$2.559 per litre, which is about US$7.75 per gallon. No matter what happens to world/market oil price, BC will see another increase on 1 April for the annual carbon tax increase.
3Kioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:09 PM   #106
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kioni View Post
Yesterday, at an unnamed marina in BC's Southern Gulf Islands, the diesel was C$2.559 per litre, which is about US$7.75 per gallon. No matter what happens to world/market oil price, BC will see another increase on 1 April for the annual carbon tax increase.
Most unnamed Gulf islands marina gas outlets charge a significant premium over the bigger fuel docks. When i was bopping around in the RCMSAR boat, we would refuel at places like Telegraph Harbour, Maple Bay, Montague Harbour, etc. I would generally check their current prices on diesel while waiting for the fueling of the SAR boat, so as to know whether to bring my own boat in. With a discount for volume, the Nanaimo and Sidney fuel docks would always beat the smaller places by 20 to 40%. I don't expect the current high prices to affect that dynamic.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:58 PM   #107
Veteran Member

City: N/A
Vessel Name: Late Harvest
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
To be fair, my understanding is the carbon tax increase is only $0.01/litre, or less than 0.5% increase in your current price quoted.
MacPhid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:05 AM   #108
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Ours was still at $3.90 a gallon for diesel as of two days ago. But, one of the dockhands warned me they expect it to go up after the next fuel delivery.

It was $3.10 two months ago.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:48 AM   #109

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
As prices go up some differences are just driven by the local retailer. They buy fuel from the distributor or refiner and add a mark-up. Typically fuel retail markups are small, as are refining margins. High throughput stations will quickly follow price increases they get on their deliveries, they have to or they go broke. Coming out of the oil industry I can assure you most of the increases we're seeing are the result of two things: increased demand as we came out of the pandemic and changes in US government policy that reduced investment in production and thus created the expectation of higher future prices. Prices can go down again but requires a major policy shift. Prices can actually drop pretty quickly since if the expectation is of lower prices in he future, speculators start to dump their higher priced futures contracts. The reverse is also true and is where we are today. One thing is a simple fact, the US has enormous energy reserves, one of the largest in the world, its mainly government policy that determines where our oil comes from. Threaten domestic oil companies and they'll invest elsewhere.

Luckily the current policy has been excellent for my stock options and performance shares.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:37 PM   #110
Guru

I just remember the good old days, 2017 through 2020 when we were paying $2.00 to $2.10 a gallon for diesel here.

Those were the days!
Old 03-30-2022, 02:34 PM   #111
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I just remember the good old days, 2017 through 2020 when we were paying $2.00 to $2.10 a gallon for diesel here.

Those were the days!
November 13th 2020:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201113_072458.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	127229

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #112
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Last week we fueled up in our marina at $4.30/gal. The marina manager said I had good timing, as their diesel supplier had just filled their tank the day prior. But she said they wouldn't know the new price until they received the invoice, which was coming the next day. All she could say was "It will be over $5/gal. for sure."
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:45 PM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
November 13th 2020:

Attachment 127229

Ted
Wow!

I think the cheapest diesel I've bought in the last few years was at Shell Morgan Landing, where we paid $1.79 a gallon in March of 2017 when transiting between Kemah, TX and home.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:23 AM   #114
Veteran Member

City: Mystic, CT
Vessel Name: Miss Maggie
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 58 LRC
Diesel today is $4.70/gallon at Atlantic Yacht Basin on the East Coast USA ICW. It's usually one of the cheapest on the east coast.
JD5652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:03 AM   #115
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Last week we fueled up in our marina at $4.30/gal. The marina manager said I had good timing, as their diesel supplier had just filled their tank the day prior. But she said they wouldn't know the new price until they received the invoice, which was coming the next day. All she could say was "It will be over $5/gal. for sure."
That's an insane situation where they are selling fuel but don't yet know what they are paying for it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:43 AM   #116

City: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That's an insane situation where they are selling fuel but don't yet know what they are paying for it.
Maybe not. Maybe they use a regular supplier that always has a reasonable price. Also, he didn't say he didn't know what price they were paying, he said that he didn't yet know what the new pump price was. Maybe the invoice was needed to see the total volume that got delivered as well as the price and they could then determine the new pump price. Tank may have been half full with fuel purchased 6 mos ago.
NEtrawler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:52 AM   #117
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEtrawler58 View Post
Maybe not. Maybe they use a regular supplier that always has a reasonable price. Also, he didn't say he didn't know what price they were paying, he said that he didn't yet know what the new pump price was. Maybe the invoice was needed to see the total volume that got delivered as well as the price and they could then determine the new pump price. Tank may have been half full with fuel purchased 6 mos ago.
It's the real situation as the driver doesn't know the price and so, unless you get a quote for the day of delivery, you are waiting for the invoice. Everyone who gets a delivery from the same truck does not pay the same price.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #118

Quote:
It's the real situation as the driver doesn't know the price and so, unless you get a quote for the day of delivery, you are waiting for the invoice. Everyone who gets a delivery from the same truck does not pay the same price.
OK thanks B. I misunderstood your post. I took it to mean you thought it's crazy that you have to wait for the invoice to know what you paid. It didn't sound that crazy to me, but I understand what you are saying now.

Interesting strange situation in CT right now. (not boating related really). Starting today, the State has suspended the state sales tax on gasoline. I guess that's good news, depending on how you look at it. But here's the problem. The gas stations pay the sales tax when they buy fuel and then collect it when they sell it. So if they filled their tanks yesterday, they are forced to eat that tax (unless the laws change) and they will have to sell it today at 25 cents cheaper. Big hit for a small private owner. If it happens in reverse when the tax is reinstated, the gas stations would probably be charged with price gouging.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #119
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEtrawler58 View Post
OK thanks B. I misunderstood your post. I took it to mean you thought it's crazy that you have to wait for the invoice to know what you paid. It didn't sound that crazy to me, but I understand what you are saying now.

Interesting strange situation in CT right now. (not boating related really). Starting today, the State has suspended the state sales tax on gasoline. I guess that's good news, depending on how you look at it. But here's the problem. The gas stations pay the sales tax when they buy fuel and then collect it when they sell it. So if they filled their tanks yesterday, they are forced to eat that tax (unless the laws change) and they will have to sell it today at 25 cents cheaper. Big hit for a small private owner. If it happens in reverse when the tax is reinstated, the gas stations would probably be charged with price gouging.
Sadly, the CT legislature was warned but no one worked out how to handle April 1 or July 1. So law passed for holiday but mechanics left unresolved.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:58 AM   #120

Quote:
Sadly, the CT legislature was warned but no one worked out how to handle April 1 or July 1. So law passed for holiday but mechanics left unresolved.
Do you mean to tell me my govt is inept and inefficient? I'm shocked and speechless! One of the legislators suggested that stations manage their inventory so they are nearly empty on 3/30 and refill on 4/1. Brilliant!!! How does every station in the state get fuel delivered today?

Anyway I guess it is good boating news for those who trailer their boats and fill up at road stations.