diesel prices near me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$4.56 / gal at Faro Blanco Marina in Marathon FL today

I'm the rare guy. I very much want higher diesel and gas prices at the marina pumps. The marinas, anchorages, and channels are filled with boaters who flocked to the isolation of boating during Covid coupled with a strong economy.

I want room in the anchorages. Room at the dinghy dock. I want a marina that doesn't have a 100 person wait list.

While that is a potential upside, the drastic rise in fuel prices may thin the herd in ways that are bad for all of us. If people leave boating because they can't afford it, or new boaters are re-thinking buying a new or used boat because of fuel prices, then the whole market and supporting businesses can suffer. Be careful what you wish for.

You can't get rid of me that easy.:socool:

Don't worry, you've got a trawler. That keeps you off the "assumed idiot until proven otherwise" list. Anything slow (trawlers and sailboats) as well as no express cruiser powerboats over 35-ish feet are generally exempt. All express cruisers and small powerboats of any type are assumed stupid until they demonstrate competence.

It might be worth nothing that the price of oil and gas had already increased significantly BEFORE the Ukraine invasion. We were looking at a large jump this year regardless, but much worse now.

It might be worth nothing that the price of oil and gas had already increased significantly BEFORE the Ukraine invasion. We were looking at a large jump this year regardless, but much worse now.

Definitely. Things were going up regardless (to somewhat higher than pre-COVID) levels, but prior to the Ukraine invasion there was no expectation of a jump this rapid or dramatic.

While that is a potential upside, the drastic rise in fuel prices may thin the herd in ways that are bad for all of us. If people leave boating because they can't afford it, or new boaters are re-thinking buying a new or used boat because of fuel prices, then the whole market and supporting businesses can suffer. Be careful what you wish for.

Let's be honest. Anyone who gets driven out of boating for a spike in fuel isn't buying new boats and burning Benjamin's at the bars and restaurants to begin with.

There is a gargantuan spectrum between 100 person wait list at the marina and a 2+ hr wait at the restaurant and what you're describing. All I'm hoping for is a reasonable middle ground.

Diesel jumped to $4.19 at street stations over the weekend. Rats, should have filled the truck on Friday at $3.69.

Diesel jumped to $4.19 at street stations over the weekend. Rats, should have filled the truck on Friday at $3.69.

Lately I've been filling my cars more often just because I know that the next time I buy gas it will be more expensive than now.

Let's be honest. Anyone who gets driven out of boating for a spike in fuel isn't buying new boats and burning Benjamin's at the bars and restaurants to begin with.

There is a gargantuan spectrum between 100 person wait list at the marina and a 2+ hr wait at the restaurant and what you're describing. All I'm hoping for is a reasonable middle ground.

What I was trying to say is that if fuel prices continue to climb, it may affect new or used boat buying decisions. And as others have suggested, to conserve some money you may decide to visit marinas less and eat at restaurants less often. The more disposable income spent on fuel, the less that leaves for spending on other things, so the boating industry, and perhaps the economy as a whole could contract to compensate. Don't assume that everyone has the means to absorb the rise in prices.

I was sad back in December when I topped off my tanks, now feel like I stole that fuel. Just pulled up the receipt with 766 gallons @ $3/gal for $2300 total, what a difference a couple months make.

Tue. March 8th Sam's Club Regular unleaded at $4.09 gallon. Out of Gas. Local news reporting some stations not getting deliveries. Geez!

$4 ValvTect Marine Diesel this afternoon at South Shore Harbor Marina, League City, TX.

I was just wondering about the logistics of calling a heating oil company and having 3 or 4 boats meet them at a municiple dock. If you could guarantee he ( or she ) would sell 2-3,000 gallons you might be able to negotiate a price...but then I see that heating oil in MA is over $5.00/gallon!!

Just saw that Port of Edmonds Marina will be $5.73/gal for diesel starting tomorrow!

Yikes!

Last edited:
$4 ValvTect Marine Diesel in Brownsville Marina a week ago today was $3.96/gallon. I bought 515 gallons. Wish I had bought 2000 gallons as I spoke to them this morning and it was now selling for $4.99/gallon . . .:eek:

Some experts are now saying $200 oil is quite possible, so I expect by peak season this summer, fuel dock prices will be at least twice what they were last year, possibly more. Hoping things change by then.

Benthic- know even small boats like us call suppliers and get their diesel directly from a tank truck. We’ve been doing that since buying our new to us boat. Prefer doing it that way as then fuel has been in fewer storage tanks so less likely to be contaminated. They didn’t ask for us to line up other boats. We took on just over 300g (was half full to start) and got a price break. Larger boats have always been doing that. Issue of course is getting “marine” legal diesel. But to date that hasn’t been a issue.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that heating oil is not identical to marine diesel and in many cases it can be illegal to use heating oil in your boat. Also, for Hippo, I don't doubt what you are saying but I wonder how you can logistically do that in most places. Assuming you are doing this while in the water, where would you tie up that allows fuel delivery from a tanker truck?

https://hbsteeleoil.com/key-differences-of-heating-oil-off-road-diesel-fuel-on-road-diesel-fuel-in-pennsylvania/#:~:text=Using%20a%20High%20Sulfur%20fuel,fines%20and%20even%20jail%20time.

A friend with his boat in his backyard always has fuel delivered. Long hose run to boat. He has taken as little as 100-gals, as much as 500. Works fine in Florida. I'd guess California has regulations that would complicate the business model.

I've been consulting into one of the O&G majors the last few years. Quite a ride - in April 2000, not even 2-years ago, oil was - $37/bbl. That's negative, as in you had to pay someone $37 to take your bbl of oil. Now that was crazy.....

Peter

For those experienced in truck delivery, does anyone know if it's viable for gas boats? I'd expect that at least some companies would be willing and able to do it, but I don't know what they'd want for minimum quantity or what to expect for pricing.

Of course, we couldn't get a truck delivery at our home marina, but there are other places we potentially could arrange it.

There are very few people who store their boats in their backyard (unless they are trailerable). Even so, I think in most states it's illegal to pump heating oil into a boat. If that's the case is it worth the risk and would a fuel company even do that? Don't forget that fuel prices are an insignificant cost and nobody worries about them!

For those experienced in truck delivery, does anyone know if it's viable for gas boats? I'd expect that at least some companies would be willing and able to do it, but I don't know what they'd want for minimum quantity or what to expect for pricing.

Of course, we couldn't get a truck delivery at our home marina, but there are other places we potentially could arrange it.

In my neck of the woods (Pinellas County FL, near St Pete), a fuel delivery service called Jet Age Fuel (HERE) out of Clearwater is the typical delivery service. They advertise delivery of gasoline to boats.

I could not find recent pricing.

Peter

Thanks Peter, but again, where would you arrange that delivery? I can't imagine a marina allows that. I guess it works if you have your own private dock, Also is the savings that significant?

Last edited:
There are very few people who store their boats in their backyard (unless they are trailerable). Even so, I think in most states it's illegal to pump heating oil into a boat. If that's the case is it worth the risk and would a fuel company even do that? Don't forget that fuel prices are an insignificant cost and nobody worries about them!

A quick Google search reveals there are close to 1-million registered boats in Florida. About 40% are over 40-feet, about 70% of those are recreational vs commercial. I don't know how many are at private docks, but would guess its at least 25%, might be closer to 40%.

Bit of daisy-chaining of stats, but I would not be surprised if there are over 100k boats 35-feet or larger sitting behind houses in Florida. 8-years ago, I bought a 1950's era condo on the ICW that has a deeded slip, one of seven in the complex (I have since purchased a second slip). I am fond of saying "I bought a slip that happened to come with a free condo." I am responsible for maintaining the slip and some property taxes, but no other ownership costs.

Attached aerial view of ICW nearby. All these houses have boats behind them, though most are center consoles on boat lifts, but not necessarily. I know of a Beneteau Swift Trawler 44-footer on a lift.

Peter

Aerial VIew.jpg

Thanks Peter, but again, where would you arrange that delivery? I can't imagine a marina allows that. I guess it works if you have your own private dock, Also is the savings that significant?

I don't know where in your location. When I was delivering boats, I used fuel bunkering a couple times to take-on 1000+ gals, a small lighter barge to delvier fuel directly to boat. Not available everywhere.

All I can tell you is dockside fuel delivery is common in Florida. Here's a picture of the backyard of a friend's place with his Power-Cat stern-to at his dock. I'd imagine it's 100-feet from the street or so. He has probably had 3000 gals of fuel delivered over the past 5-years of ownership. Interestingly, when he bought the boat (55-ft LOA, 28-ft beam power cat), he was going to liveaboard but slips were so dang expensive he decided to buy a house and keep it in back instead.

There's a reason so many people come to Florida.......

Peter

Boat in backyard.jpg

If it makes any of you guys feel better, the price of diesel in Norway right now is
$11.72 per gallon. (Road diesel)
Not sure if it is the highest in Europe, but certainly up there.

Don't assume that everyone has the means to absorb the rise in prices.

Don't assume that nobody has the means either. I'll still be here at $10/gallon diesel. As will many marinas, and restaurants.

If it makes any of you guys feel better, the price of diesel in Norway right now is
$11.72 per gallon. (Road diesel)
Not sure if it is the highest in Europe, but certainly up there.

Wow - come to Sweden. We're still just a tad under $10/US gallon here. A bargain!!

Don't assume that nobody has the means either. I'll still be here at $10/gallon diesel. As will many marinas, and restaurants.

I get that and I will likely still be boating at $10/gal. I just don't get how some of us here say that the price of fuel doesn't matter. If you have $10M in savings and a $700K boat and spend $2K in fuel, you don't care if that goes up to $5K. Won't affect you in the least. But if you have $100K in savings and a $40K boat, $5K in fuel is likely very painful. I just don't like the dismissive attitude of the wealthier boaters who say that if you can't afford the fuel you shouldn't own a boat. That's easy for some to say, but there are those people who love boating and try to do it the best they can on a limited budget.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom