Depreciation rate for boat upgrades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In general...
The worse the shape that the boat is in the higher the value of any improvements made.
The better the shape that the boat is in the lower the value of any improvements made.

This is an interesting observation. A corollary: the nicer the boat, the more $$ you need to spend for a potential buyer to notice.

I'm always amazed at the Craigslist ads out there where there are dirty dishes in the sink, laundry on the settees, etc. An hour spent filling plastic bags with trash would increase the value on some of these boats.

This is an interesting observation. A corollary: the nicer the boat, the more $$ you need to spend for a potential buyer to notice.

I'm always amazed at the Craigslist ads out there where there are dirty dishes in the sink, laundry on the settees, etc. An hour spent filling plastic bags with trash would increase the value on some of these boats.

"An hour spent filling plastic bags with trash would increase the value on some of these boats."
Exactly the potential issue really....

We bought our boat when it was 25 years old, 15 years ago. Over that time, it’s value has held fairly constant. Five years ago, it had lost value along with every other boat. Today, in the land of Covid, I could probably sell it for more than we purchased and do so quickly. Used boats of pedigree in good condition are getting premium dollars, especially in the 50 foot size that seems to be a sweet spot.

Will that last, maybe not. I’m entering the years where financing and insurance are difficult for many buyers. It’s cash buyer land for this vintage.

It’s a premium brand with a sometimes cultish following. The point being that I think there is a formula that works for the first couple decades and then it’s an entirely different story for the next couple, then yet another for the time thereafter.

I’ve invested lots just keeping up. Had I not done that, the value would be about a quarter of where it’s at now. For brands like this once they reach that 25% value, it’s a pretty solid floor and then they get snapped up quickly by those who are cash poor and bad at math. Eventually there will be precious few systems that are original other than the hull itself.

Ah yup. I am at THE turning point. I have a 'wing' installed at the helm and about to start drilling hole to move the various output from the VesselView to analog gauges on the wing. With the analog gauges, one can read the condition of everything without punching buttons. Any MFD is busy doing other things, equally important. PLUS, I can put red tape on the remote analog readouts for normal readings at a glance. SMILE
After April I will make this final decision and start drilling holes for the gauges. I would like retain a functioning VesselView for the alarms too or maybe not.
If the next owner doesn't like what I did, he can buy a different boat.
Wish me luck.

Last edited:
If you really want to know the value, I would find a good surveyor and let them come up with a value, as that is one of the things they should be good at.

If you really want to know the value, I would find a good surveyor and let them come up with a value, as that is one of the things they should be good at.

I know the market value. I needed a written valuation for the Agreed Value Insurance policy. I was curious as to how I could get to that value based on what I paid for the boat plus what I've spent since. Just curious, that's all. It makes no difference as to what I spend. I do whatever is needed to keep the boat in very good condition.

There were virtually no original systems remaining after my refit. The only exceptions were the hydraulic steering incl. copper lines, and the throttle/gear morse cables. For the former, new seals for the ram in the lazarette stopped fluid weeps and it still operates perfectly. Morse cables are good in the pilothouse, not quite as good on the flybridge, but perfectly useable and not stiff at all. The throttle ones run to an analogue-electrical converter in the ER - so I could change to electronic controls at the helms, but no real need.

I would like to thank contributors to the thread. A lot of pragmatism, and a few laughs/smiles. Fiddling around on a spreadsheet I have developed 2 ways of getting from purchase+refit+annual R&M to current market value.

But firstly, I see R&M as including the lumpy cost items that pop up most years. This includes a new windlass, a new hot water system, modifying solar system to increase capacity and reduce shading, relocating KVH dish as part of that, a new 1700Ah house bank. Post refit, these costs have averaged 11% of boat purchase price over 8 years. Insurance, fuel/oil and marina berth costs are running costs and additional to that.

So, method 1. Discount 55% of refit costs before splash. Year 2 a further -15% of them, and year 3 another -10%. As it is more than 30 yers old, assume purchase price is not itself depreciating any more, and that annual R&M is sufficient to retain that figure over time. So by the time year 4 comes around, market value is original purchase plus 20% of the big refit spend. Ends up a little high perhaps, but taking a further -5% in year 4 takes it to a number that is a too low.

Method 2. More like something an accountant would do. Write off 40% of the big refit spend at splash. Then use 12.5% depreciation on a declining balance basis. For this calc, the annual R&M spend is added into the closing written down value each year. This method only starts to match reality at least 5 years after the big refit spend. Given R&M is running at 11% and write down is 12.5% I'm now effectively decreasing value by 1.5% pa. As the boat is now 40 years old, but still in very good condition, this is probably somewhere in the ballpark.

Finally, market value is still 6 figures higher than my purchase price. Just. I decline to give actual numbers on the grounds that everyone will think "hell, I had no idea he was stupid enough to spend that much", and some of you would not be able to resist actually saying it, and then be in breach of the forum's "be nice" policy!

Oh, its been worth every dollar spent by the way! Enjoyment has actually been priceless!

Last edited:
I agree with Jim

"I would offer that quite often "upgrades" are really part of maintenance and not really improvements.

I have heard folks often say that "upgrades" often don't raise the value of a boat, but make that boat a lot easier to sell."

I believe that attempting to scientifically estimate this is a waste of time. IMHO, of course.

Depreciation Rate For Boat Upgrades

Well, During last 2 years we did a full refit, except engines 2x250 Volvo with 1700 hours, full painted, water tanks, new electronic plotter, new flaps, new hydraulic, new rudders, autopilot, new Gen, refrigerators, micro, bottom key valves, drive shafts and propellers and long etc.

We had an insurance official expert that come and value the improvements in 150K more with an official certificate.

What we expect ? -- Only to be the first boat and the fastest to be sold when the time to sell it arrives. But very few more.....
The market is the market and buyers' budgets are not usually very elastic.

Not to be coy or overly simplistic, but the value is what a reasonable person is willing to pay for the boat. You could start with your cost, and of course there is going to be depreciation of your upgrades, but how much is dependent on how important those upgrades are to a given buyer. One person may care about radar etc., another may have a wife who is sensitive to motion so stablizers are important. For a SWAG, I'd say three year old hard items on a boat are worth about 50% of their cost. Soft upgrades like paint, stain, and upholstery are probably nearly worthless. But they will help sell your boat faster than a similar boat without them. And they show pride of ownership, which is a huge intangible value.

When people buy a boat they expect all systems to work. If they don't, then they start discounting by the cost it would take to repair it to working order. If you bought the boat with a faulty main engine, wiring, etc. I hope you got a discount when you bought it. The cost to bring it up to working order only increases the boat to market value for a fully operational boat. A boat in good working order and in good condition should sell quickly with little or no discount.

No matter what you are trying to sell, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

If a buyer is not knowledgeable of the particular model of vessel they are shopping for I suspect major capital work does not raise the value of the boat much. Though resale speed may be faster?

But turn this question around to you buying a particular model you want coming from a position of knowledge. What increase in cost would you be willing to pay on the purchase a boat that has major capital improvements. I'm not speaking of cabinets or flooring items that are tied to the PO tastes but rather big ticket items like engines, gensets, hull modifications, electronic, etc. I personally am willing to pay more for those improvements if these items have been done in the last one to four years.

The question then becomes how much am I willing to pay for this upgraded vessel? My answer is likely not much more than 10 to 30% of the going rate for these models with the percentage tied to depreciating 1 to 4 years since improvements.

But, in the end, a vessel is worth what someone is will pay for it period and not a dollar more.

Being a guy that paid $54K for my then 29 year old boat five years ago and has since put, not invested, an additional $130K into her, it is a sobering statement. But I love my boat and intend to own her till I am no longer able to run her safely.

Completely agree Slider70
Armando

For me, if I am looking for a particular style of boat say CPMY, if I find a brand that is on my list and it says REPOWERED, I jump right into the details. If it has under 1000 hours ('m usually looking at 30 year old boats) it makes the head of the short list and I am willing to pay more for it. Putting a percentage of sale price on it is the tricky part, because the repower has a fairly easily estimated standard, whereas the price of the yacht might vary from $250,000 to $25M.

I was blessed that the previous owner “invested” in stabilizers, bow and stern thrusters, new fuel and water tanks, added a 5’ extension, and then put a Awlgrip paint job on. This was on a 1979 boat. Then his children grew up and the boat wasn’t used very much so he turned it over to the broker to sell. I was in the looking stage when I first viewed it and by the time I got around to considering it seriously the sale price dropped $50k. I’m just guessing that all those modifications cost about what I paid for the boat. So either I got the hull for free or the modifications.

In turn I have been pouring my money into the boat but not in as grand a fashion. I now look for improvements that allow me to single hand easier and safer. Variable thrusters and remote controls that can allow me to continue to safely use her into the future as I get less agile. I consider anything I spend as a “treat” for me, not something to add value for anyone but me.
I didn’t initially appreciate the improvements the PO had done. Didn’t need much of them going up and down the Sacramento River. What I wanted was access in the engine room to take care of things easily. This was based on the previous boat where changing spark plugs on the outboard side was near impossible. Sure glad to have the improvements now. The wife doesn’t leave the dock without turning on the stabilization.
I expect to get zip for any improvements I make.

The wife doesn’t leave the dock without turning on the stabilization.
I expect to get zip for any improvements I make.

Hint: anytime you are backing, center the stabilizers

Taking the price you paid for the boat & then adding a depreciated cost of improvements that you've made to the boat is not a reliable method of valuation.
Like all material things boats have an economic life which is the length of time it has value without any improvements. Depreciation is measured in effective age. When no improvements are done the actual age & the effective age are the same. The hope is that whatever improvement are done reduce the effective age of the boat. Reducing the effective age of the boat reduces it's depreciation which means it increases it's value.
While focusing on how the effective age of individual items in a boat affect the effective age of the whole boat is understandable it's difficult to do unless they are very significant like a new engine. One way to extract the contributory value of a new engine is to do a statistical analysis of all boats in a large data base & compare the sale price of boats with new engines to boats that have not been repowered. While there would obviously be other differences with all of the boats if the numbers of boats were large enough the results should be reliable. Or you could focus on a specific popular brand of boat with a lot of sales. While there would be less boat sales of that model there would also be less differences between them.
However, the most reliable way to estimate the value of your boat is with comparable sales of identical models. Instead of focusing on individual improvements I would estimate the overall condition of the boat & compare it to other identical models that have sold recently that are in similar overall condition.

Back
Top Bottom