Old 02-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #21
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE OTHERS ABOVE.... pass on this one... too many red flags, and a 130hr rebuilt engine? There's probably more to the story.

NOW, WHAT'S YOUR GOAL FOR THIS PURCHASE? If day cruising, occasionally overnight and light duty boating, I'd pass all together on an IO. Get a simple single engine outboard. MUCH more reliable.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:30 PM   #22
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Smaller go-fast boats such as this, I would recommend pinging "TheHullTruth.Com" forum. They are much more in to smaller-sized boats, many fishermen. They can likely help with valuation.

Nothing untoward about the dealer - sounds like they came clean and offered a fairly reasonable solution, though your dad is in a tough spot. Definitely a big change - enough to trigger run-don't-walk response. But Dealer can likely re-sell the boat without discount even with disclosure. Problem here is the surprise-factor - goods-delivered are materially different than goods-represented.

Good luck -

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #23
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
I'm a little confused about the hours listed. The engine with a cracked block should have about 500 hours. It could be repaired with a short block or long block (with heads) Long block would run about $2500 and add another $2500 for labor. You then have an engine with 0 hours.

You could but a new OEM engine for $10K, labor not included. The larger question is the warranty the dealer is offering on the rebuilt engine. How many years or how many hours, and where can it be repaired. If limited to the dealer only... I'd be a little hesitant to have warranty work done at a dealer who can't winterize an engine.

Loss of value wouldn't be my major concern. $30K is at the top of the market and sooner or later the market will come back down to earth.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 04:59 PM   #24
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
NOW, WHAT'S YOUR GOAL FOR THIS PURCHASE? If day cruising, occasionally overnight and light duty boating, I'd pass all together on an IO. Get a simple single engine outboard. MUCH more reliable.
If you wanted to go even simpler, as there are no lower units on a jet boat, I would recommend checking out a Yamaha SX190 or AR190 jetboat. $30K could get something from 2018/2019. Yamaha also has a very large dealer network. There is a fantastic group of folks over at jetboaters.net to ask questions of. While not dedicated to Yamaha boats, Yamaha dominates the jet boat market, so most boat specific threads are about Yamaha boats.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:02 PM   #25
Guru

City: Trenton
What happened to the boat that used the rebuilt engine for 130 hours?
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:47 PM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Boat condition [in general] sounds great!

Dealer capability seems very poor.

Engine as a rebuild you will never know all the facts of = Absolute No Go!

Overall suggestion by me: Do Not Purchase unless a certified "Brand New" same style engine is put in correctly with full written guarantee.

As some one else mentioned... your dad could even add a grand or so to purchase price for the new engine. IMO, if purchased with used/rebuilt engine then minimum of $5K off price - as long as careful mechanic inspection is first completed.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Boat condition [in general] sounds great!

Dealer capability seems very poor.

Engine as a rebuild you will never know all the facts of = Absolute No Go!

Overall suggestion by me: Do Not Purchase unless a certified "Brand New" same style engine is put in correctly with full written guarantee.

As some one else mentioned... your dad could even add a grand or so to purchase price for the new engine. IMO, if purchased with used/rebuilt engine then minimum of $5K off price - as long as careful mechanic inspection is first completed.

Nope. There is someone honest out there who has something better. Go find it.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:09 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Original 43 hours rebuilt 130 hrs
A 2013 boat with only 43 hours on the engine in 8 boat years, I don't think so. Pictures of the boat should show it in showroom mint condition with 43 hr runtime. Does not add up.

Similar engine with 130 hours on rebuild sounds plausible. As others alluded how many hours on the rebuilt engine before rebuild. Was it a 2013 engine too?

Either the OP does not have the correct number of original hours, was misinformed by seller agent, but something is not right. Does not make sense.

Unlike others that say run run run, I would want the correct facts before a decision is made. Maybe the boat sat for 8 years unused because the block froze in the first year.
The buyer is in the drivers seat and should exercise that right to know all the facts. Independent inspection reports perhaps, was it mechanically surveyed.

An eight year old boat should not be walked away from with knowing all the facts.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:00 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
First off. I'm curious about the replacement engine. Is this a re-manned engine from Mercruiser with a warranty? Or is this just a swap from another boat?? These are very different animals. I've never heard them state the hours on a remanned engine. It is usually considered ZERO hours since the entire engine is rebuilt
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:47 PM   #30
SBR
Veteran Member

City: Macedon
RUN! TwistedSeraph RUN!

Find another boat and dealer.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:09 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
RUN! TwistedSeraph RUN!

Find another boat and dealer.
Wifey B: I think he ran. Posted three times last Wednesday and then ran away from us. No signs of him here since.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:45 PM   #32

City: englewood florida
You really do not have enough information to make a good decision. As others have said what exactly is the replacement engine?? Forget about the hours because a rebuilt block from a competent rebuilder should start the clock from zero. The trick is to determine if it was from a competent builder. The dealer probably just made a honest mistake so don’t just trash him without knowing the full story. Also a engine with just 40 something hours on it over 9 years might be suspect in itself...if the original owner didn’t use it much probably didn’t maintain it much...the rebuilt might be better than the original..finally when you go to sell it hours unless extraordinary are inconsequential. Find out the facts you might be leaving a great deal for someone else. This setup will run for years if in fresh water..if saltwater outboard only..ps. The dealers insurance should pay for this screw up and most likely would pay for a new engine so push on that...
cbouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
block, bow rider, cracked, crownline, engine