Cheapest boat registration ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alzero
Vessel Make
Hatteras 63' CPMY
I just got back from the tax collectors office where I registered our 1987 63’ Hatteras as an antique. The yearly rate is $4 per year and I decided to splurge and pony up for two years! Our tender which is NOT over 30 years old and thus cannot qualify for antique registration was $29 a year. But we applied our $10 annual EPIRB credit to the fee and it was lowered to $19 a year.

I just got back from the tax collectors office where I registered our 1987 63’ Hatteras as an antique. The yearly rate is $4 per year and I decided to splurge and pony up for two years! Our tender which is NOT over 30 years old and thus cannot qualify for antique registration was $29 a year. But we applied our $10 annual EPIRB credit to the fee and it was lowered to $19 a year.

Oh my god, you are cheating the rest of us by not paying your fair share.

Just kidding, of course, and referencing another thread on this subject....

What's the age cutoff for antique? 25 years I think is common for cars?

30 years and it must have the original drivetrain still installed.

But we applied our $10 annual EPIRB credit to the fee and it was lowered to $19 a year.

You have an Epirb installed on your Dinghy? Though, technically, I believe the credit applies to the boat the Epirb is installed on, I have to laugh at the irony the state has put themselves in.

Epirb Credit: -$10.00

I would register the big boat, apply the Epirb Credit and demand (jokingly) that they give me the $6.00 they owe me for registering my boat with them.

LMFAO!!!

The clerk asked if the EPIRB was portable, and it was, so we applied it where it would do the most good.

How do you get the EPIRB credit? Is there a form to fill out?

Thanks.

I just brought my EPIRB registration form with me and asked for the credit. If your unit is not registered, you won’t get the credit.

Oh my god, you are cheating the rest of us by not paying your fair share.

At least he registered his boat and paid something. But this is indeed another item that will be added to the review.

Review? Of what......?

He's making a list and ratting people out who, even though they have complied with their state's registration requirements and fee schedules, he is displeased with how much they have paid, to someone, for something, somewhere.

I'm one of the scofflaws, apparently because my state accepts the USCG documentation in lieu of state registration, so I haven't paid a "state registration fee" on my documented boats. Even though where due, I have paid all due personal property taxes, use taxes, sales taxes, and even registration fees (for undocumented boats), that's not good enough. I have no idea how much is enough, nor does he know how much I've paid. But I'm a scofflaw none the less.

Geez, sounds like a real a$$hole with enough time on his hands to mind everyone’s business. I’ve run across people like him before and my overwhelming emotion is pity and sadness that their lives are so empty......

Last edited:
30 years and it must have the original drivetrain still installed.
The law (328.72) says, "[SIZE=-1]A vessel that is at least 30 years old, used only for recreational purposes, and powered by the vessel’s original-type power plant may be registered as an antique vessel."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]So, the original TYPE of power plant, but not necessarily the actual, original power plant.[/SIZE]

He's making a list and ratting people out ...

Well that's news to me. I'm simply documenting the disparities between State (and Federal) tax, registration, and enforcement laws/regulations/fees. An attack like this is uncalled for, by the way.

The law (328.72) says, "[SIZE=-1]A vessel that is at least 30 years old, used only for recreational purposes, and powered by the vessel’s original-type power plant may be registered as an antique vessel."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]So, the original TYPE of power plant, but not necessarily the actual, original power plant.[/SIZE]

I wonder if they simply mean diesel for diesel or Detroit for Detroit, or even V-12 Detroit for V-12 Detroit? In my case I still have the original engines, gears and wheels and shafts, so there was no issue.

I have heard people argue it in all different ways. Some say that if you replace a diesel with a diesel, that's good enough to satisfy the law. Some say that it only applies when you replace with exactly the same make and model.

Some years back I spent quite a bit of time trying to find any court case that would clarify it. No luck. So I don't think the issue has ever gone to court. Meaning that one of these days, some lucky boater may get to be the test case!

On the other hand, the fact that there doesn't seem to have ever been a test case would indicate that they are pretty flexible about this, and don't really scrutinize it too closely.

Now, personally, I don't see the word "type" as meaning that it must be the EXACT SAME make and model. I would argue that if it's a 300hp diesel, and I replace it with a 300hp diesel, I should still be eligible. If I'm ever in the situation, that's how I'll go, and hope that if I end up in court I have a pretty good attorney. But I REALLY don't want to be the test case!

On the other hand, the fact that there does not appear to have ever been a test case would indicate that they don't scrutinize this too closely, nor enforce it too rigorously.

Last edited:
Be glad it’s that cheap. In Washington State it’s one half of one percent of the value of the boat, usually what was paid for it, in excise tax, plus registration and a bunch of nit picking fees.
Taxes and fees are what they are wherever you are. Nobody likes them, but we have to pay for the infrastructure and services we have available.

"Nobody likes them, but we have to pay for the infrastructure and services we have available."

So that's why our gas taxes are relabeled "transportation" taxes , and subsidize commuter trains and buses.

The clerk asked if the EPIRB was portable, and it was, so we applied it where it would do the most good.
I just did the same registration, the clerk never asked a question, just went on the aga.

That was in Ft Pierce, FL.

My research showed,vas long as the drivetrain (engine) was typical for a replacement..like a rebuilt was OK.

This is the wording right from the DMV form.

A. Powered by its original type powerplant.

Last edited:
Hard to tell what the intent of the law was when written. I would think someone was thinking to give a break to restorers of old Chri Craft mahogany motor boats and others out of the early nineteen ninetys not realizing how long fiberglass boats would last. What does the registration sticker look like, maybe similar to the antique car tags ?

Hard to tell what the intent of the law was when written. I would think someone was thinking to give a break to restorers of old Chri Craft mahogany motor boats and others out of the early nineteen ninetys not realizing how long fiberglass boats would last.....

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom