Old 01-08-2023, 09:21 AM   #21
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
All I know is the one time I was stopped by a LEO, the USCG in my case, the Coasties wanted to see my certificate.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:08 PM   #22

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriso View Post
This is the people I use and they make it painless.
Just give Connie Crews a call and it can be handled over the phone

https://allyachtdocumentation.com/services
What did they charge?
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:19 AM   #23

City: Fayetteville
Vessel Name: Donna Mae
Vessel Model: 2005 Mainship 430
We used Connie crews @ All Yachts Documentation. 386-462-1144. She is an expert and took care of everything. Cost was around 700 I think. She knows the ins and outs of each states tax ru,es and can guide you.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:33 AM   #24

I emailed several that processed the paperwork, $350-$900.

I called the CG filled out form 1258 with bill of sale really simple, cost $84
Old 01-12-2023, 04:34 PM   #25

City: Richmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by merman64 View Post
I just had my secretary do it online for USCG renewal and renewed for 5 years. Address change and initial should do it if you have the original reg and bill of sale.
Yes, you just spent around $800 or so. If your secretary had dealt directly with the Coast guard Documentation office, it would have been less than $250. They charge about $100 for initial documentation and $26 per year renewal. You probably paid around $4-500 for documentation and $75 per year renewal.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:36 PM   #26

Thumbs down

I think the bottom line is the doc services are over charging for a simple task.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:48 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipets View Post
I think the bottom line is the doc services are over charging for a simple task.
They ARE charging for their service... OVER or UNDER charging is up to the user.
If everyone thought they were over charging they wouldn't exist.

Many do their own taxes because they feel the services over charge for what they get. Others don't want to be bothered figuring it all out... just pay the fee and let someone else do the work.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:55 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
I'm still not sure what the benefits are though. Do you know how or why it's better?
There are two purposes for US citizens to document a vessel in the US.

1) It 'flags' the vessel officially as a US vessel. This isn't really needed for travel to Mexico, Canada, or the Bahamas. Those neighbors give us to leeway, mostly due to proximity. However, it becomes an issue when you travel to foreign countries beyond our neighbors. Australia doesn't care are about Florida registration. You're vessel needs an officially flagged. To a degree, it acts like a passport for your vessel.

2) It titles the vessel. While many states title vessels, 16 states don't. A bank needs to be lien holder on the title when there is a loan. Most banks don't want to have a process for 34 states, then another process for 16 states. It's just easier to have all the titles via USCG documentation.
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
They ARE charging for their service... OVER or UNDER charging is up to the user.
If everyone thought they were over charging they wouldn't exist.

Many do their own taxes because they feel the services over charge for what they get. Others don't want to be bothered figuring it all out... just pay the fee and let someone else do the work.
I donít disagree with what you said. However, a lot of people use services just because they donít know they can go direct to the Coast Guard Doc office to get everything done for a lot less money.
This is especially true about all the people who got scammed into using a service for a simple renewal paying $75 when the CG office charges $26.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:34 AM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
I donít disagree with what you said. However, a lot of people use services just because they donít know they can go direct to the Coast Guard Doc office to get everything done for a lot less money.
This is especially true about all the people who got scammed into using a service for a simple renewal paying $75 when the CG office charges $26.
Please stop with the 'scam' angle. The fact that people don't do their due diligence doesn't make it a scam. As stated... it's a service. They are entitled to charge what they want for the service. You are entitled to do your own research.

Lack of due diligence doesn't make the service a scam. Please stop the insanity.
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:37 AM   #31

Agree perhaps not a scam bout RIP OFF, $900?????
Old 01-13-2023, 10:38 AM   #32
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
All I know is the one time I was stopped by a LEO, the USCG in my case, the Coasties wanted to see my certificate.
If you are USCG documented, then you would not post state registration numbers on your vessel. This is the case even if you are state registered as well. A documented vessel with a state reg. would post the state(s) registration stickers only.

I suspect you have no reg numbers on your bow, therefore they assumed you were USCG documented, at which point the USCG would typically want to see the documentation that they issued to you.

If you had reg. numbers, then they would have asked for your registration, though they typically simply ask me "Can I see your paperwork"?
Old 01-13-2023, 10:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Please stop with the 'scam' angle. The fact that people don't do their due diligence doesn't make it a scam. As stated... it's a service. They are entitled to charge what they want for the service. You are entitled to do your own research.

Lack of due diligence doesn't make the service a scam. Please stop the insanity.
No, it is a scam when they send out letters that look like they came from the real CG office. And they give you a website address that looks like it is the CG office website. I can't tell you how many boating forum posts I have read in the past 6-7 years from people pissed they fell for the scam thinking they were dealing with the REAL CG....me included.

As far as the "Service" aspect...just what service are you getting when you pay $75 to a service company and it takes you 3-4 minutes to fill out the online form vs paying $26 to the CG office and taking 3-4 minutes to fill out the online form.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:52 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Usually when you finance a boat they will require the use of a documentation company because they want to make sure it is done correctly and their mortgage on the boat is properly recorded.

As to the cost of their services, it is what it is. If you are able to do it yourself then do it. If the mortgage company requires the use of a service then you have to pay the cost. But to complain about the fees is sorta useless.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:54 AM   #35
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipets View Post
Agree perhaps not a scam bout RIP OFF, $900?????
To some, yes, to others, no.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:04 AM   #36
TF Site Team

Quote:
I'm sorry you got scammed. Hopefully you've learned to be more diligent with whom you send money too.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:13 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
No, it is a scam when they send out letters that look like they came from the real CG office. And they give you a website address that looks like it is the CG office website. I can't tell you how many boating forum posts I have read in the past 6-7 years from people pissed they fell for the scam thinking they were dealing with the REAL CG....me included.

As far as the "Service" aspect...just what service are you getting when you pay $75 to a service company and it takes you 3-4 minutes to fill out the online form vs paying $26 to the CG office and taking 3-4 minutes to fill out the online form.
Misleading... absolutely but scam absolutely not or it would be illegal.

It's a prime example of misleading marketing / advertising and those uneducated fall for it. Anyone can educate themselves re the USCG NVDC Fees and steer clear of anything with a premium attached.

Doordash and other food delivery services charge more that you can purchase the same meal yourself but they are not scams.
For that matter you can sell your boat yourself vs paying brokerage fees but that doesn't make that a scam.
Uneducated folks are always looking to blame someone else for THEIR mistakes. if you are not familiar with something do your due diligence and educate yourself.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat registration, coast guard documentation, delaware registration, state registration