California Emissions Nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mengering

Vessel Name
El Viaje
Vessel Make
PT motor yacht
We bought a new inflatable dinghy in December of 2022 after putting a massive gash in our old dinghy. We filled in the CA DMV registration and submitted that, we see our payment was accepted on January 3 2023. We received mail back from the CA DMV just recently rejecting our registration because "CA EMISSIONS CERTIFICATION IS REQUIRED". That is all it says. We've called CA DMV multiple times and we finally found that they have no idea what that means, and they referred us to the California Air Resources Board.

Although the inflatable dinghy is new, we simply took the 2109 20HP mercury outboard off the old inflatable dinghy and put it on the new one. This motor has the three stars ultra low emissions sticker on it. We did not have to do any emissions certification on the old one and we have no idea how to get the certification so that we can pass it on to CA DMV and successfully register our new dinghy.

I gather this may be a new rule in CA that requires emissions certification/testing on all motors (inboard, outboard) that are less than 500 HP so I expect a lot of people are experiencing our pain. But so far we have had no luck figuring out how to get this emissions certification. Has anyone else successfully navigated this new rule in CA?

Thanks
Glenn

Attachments

• DMV.jpg
    DMV.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 53
Let me get this straight, the agency that issued the statement that the CA EMISSIONS CERTIFICATION was required, doesn't even know what that means? And is directing you to another CA agency?
The crazy thing is, a dinghy like that doesn't even have to have an engine to be usable! I guess if I am the motive power, using oars, I would be required to submit a "CA EMISSIONS CERTIFICATION" before I could row it? Would it depend on what I had recently eaten? Wow, just wow . . . nother reason to live somewhere else.

Let me get this straight, the agency that issued the statement that the CA EMISSIONS CERTIFICATION was required, doesn't even know what that means? And is directing you to another CA agency?
The crazy thing is, a dinghy like that doesn't even have to have an engine to be usable! I guess if I am the motive power, using oars, I would be required to submit a "CA EMISSIONS CERTIFICATION" before I could row it? Would it depend on what I had recently eaten? Wow, just wow . . . nother reason to live somewhere else.

Do you have toxic emissions???

Why does this not surprise me....

https://www.westernbass.com/forum/h...or-the-out-state-boat-after-2008-t119962.html

I received this info from Evinrude the first time my out of state purchase, to go to this site!

Calif. Air Resoures Board,

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/cert_mfr.php

1. Browse Executive Orders, then scroll down to Spark-Ignition Marine Engines.

2. Select model year. then browse to your motor. Shows years 2001 to 2019!

3. Once you find your motor, click the highlighted in blue and print the executive order.

4. Take the printed copy to DMV!

That's it!!

I would ban gas engined leaf blowers just for the annoyance factor. Use a rake!
Gas chain saws, OTOH, at least have a performance advantage over battery ones.

I would ban gas engined leaf blowers just for the annoyance factor. Use a rake!
Gas chain saws, OTOH, at least have a performance advantage over battery ones.

We went to a battery powered leaf blower. Have had gas, hard to start. Have had 120 volt, had to drag a power cord. Battery powered has none of those issues. Love it.

Greetings,
OK. Electric leaf blowers, chain saws, lawn mowers, yard tractors? and automobiles/trucks. Where is the electrical power coming from? Hmmmm....

Greetings,
OK. Electric leaf blowers, chain saws, lawn mowers, yard tractors? and automobiles/trucks. Where is the electrical power coming from? Hmmmm....

To the end user, it doesn't matter, as the original power source can be changed out or upgraded without the end user having to change anything. That and the lack of fussy operation for inquiring infrequently used lawn equipment makes the electric ones rather nice (as long as your use case fits their capability).

One of the dozens of reasons we love not living in Cali anymore.
The issue is Washington is getting just as bad.
So nice to have the politicians looking out of us.
HOLLYWOOD

I guess this means if you went to register a dinghy with an old two stroke, you'd be rejected? They probably won't like my British Seagull and its 10:1 mix.

^^^You would be a short term visitor. Very short.

I was born in California, but I rarely admit it. I left in 1967 to go to Vietnam. I liked it better there. I tried to return to California twice and had 2 businesses there. But I eventually realized you couldn't do business in that state. And it would only get worse.
The California Resources Board was one reason, there were many others. There are a few places and people I would like to visit, but I just can't force myself to go there.

why they need to know that the dingy is powered? it can be rowed.

If it is rowed, no need to register in CA no matter what the size. If it has a motor, must be registered no matter what the size.

Interestingly, a ship's lifeboat is exempt. I might claim that.

If it is rowed, no need to register in CA no matter what the size. If it has a motor, must be registered no matter what the size.

Interestingly, a ship's lifeboat is exempt. I might claim that.

yes that's from law enforcement perspective.

the point is that a dingy can be registered unmotorized unless its 35' long.
and add a motor when you like.

One of the dozens of reasons we love not living in Cali anymore.
The issue is Washington is getting just as bad.
So nice to have the politicians looking out of us.
HOLLYWOOD

You get what you vote for. The people from CA and elsewhere are obviously happy with the way things are going since they keep electing the same politicians. They are supposed to follow the will of the people, so why blame them and not the people who put them there? This is a general statement (mods) and applies to every state, not just CA.

Yeah, but can you register a new to California one? For the BS outboard, and even my Yamaha there is no executive order to hand to the DMV.

You get what you vote for. The people from CA and elsewhere are obviously happy with the way things are going since they keep electing the same politicians. They are supposed to follow the will of the people, so why blame them and not the people who put them there? This is a general statement (mods) and applies to every state, not just CA.

I did vote, I moved.
Politics like tides ebb and flow. I just didn't want to wait for the ebb.
Often it takes years of a political policy to prove if the policy works or the outcome is something other that promised or intended.

California has just , at least for the time being dodged a major issue with the epic rains and snow that have mostly ended the drought. The policies that would not allow for new water storage was slowly killing parts of the state. I believe one of the last "new" reservoirs in the state was built around 1994. The state has had explosive growth in those years.
The state has clamped down on residential energy consumers and raised rates to alarming levels while opening up business to the energy hungry marijuana industry, go figure.

HOLLYWOOD

Thread Drift!

Okay folks, once again, please stick with the subject at hand. This thread is about CA Emissions, NOT about medical marijuana, nor is it an opening to take the off-ramp to turn it into a political discussion.
Thank you for understanding.

Okay folks, once again, please stick with the subject at hand. This thread is about CA Emissions, NOT about medical marijuana, nor is it an opening to take the off-ramp to turn it into a political discussion.

Thanks.

The usual rants from the usual suspects. More funny than anything else. Also, as a moderator, your post #2 adds some fuel for others. Personally, I think its a bit cheesy to put down where people live. I also think its interesting what people type out anonymously sitting behind a computer screen under a pseudonym.

Back
Top Bottom