Old 12-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #1

City: Anchorage, AK/Sedona, AZ
"Buyer" broker referral for Huntington Beach, CA?

We are currently in Arizona but are looking for a broker to represent us as "buyers" in the Huntington Beach, CA area.

Does anyone have a good relationship with or a "great experience" with any knowledgable and ethical brokers in the Huntington Beach or surrounding areas that may be able to help us in our boat buying search?

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Check out the JMYS website. It may inspire you.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
I second that. Jeff Merrill is a class act.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #4

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
^^ another vote for Jeff Merrill. If I were shopping in that neighborhood, Jeff is the first guy I’d call.
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Im not sure why you need a buyers broker for your "search." A broker can't search on yachtworld any better than you can.. But he might be helpful during the offer and contract phase..

I used Ian van Tuyl and have nothing but good things to say about him.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Seal Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Epiphany
Vessel Model: 2001 Maxum 4100 SCA
I've traded emails with him recently. He advised he normally works in the $300,000 range and up. Seems like someone I'd hire if that was my market. He has some youtube videos posted.
Jorgeinseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Jeff is a good guy and very knowledgeable. He has a decent YouTube channel where you can 'meet' him if you have not already met. He just listed a N50 for $635k as I recall which seemed like a nice boat.

One nit-pick item: I know others will disagree, but I do not believe there is such a thing as a "buyer's broker." Folks like Jeff and others are as close as I can imagine to a buyer's broker because the sales' cycle for their type of listings is pretty long - 2-years is not unusual. I see Judy Waldman on this forum from time to time - she's out of Ft Lauderdale and has a similar approach. Folks like Jeff, Judy, and others take a long view - there's a pretty good chance that today's buyer will be a seller someday.

It's been a lot of years since I was in the marine industry, but I met a lot of really good brokers who enjoyed what they did and felt a sincere obligation to helping a buyer find the right boat. But none of these examples were buyers' brokers, at least in my mind. They are brokers who facilitated a sale and enjoyed helping people in doing so.

Good luck!

Peter.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post

One nit-pick item: I know others will disagree, but I do not believe there is such a thing as a "buyer's broker."
I agree. It's a weird concept that seems to exist in the marine world only. They are ALL Brokers. They are the listing broker on a number of vessels. When you contact a broker, they typically try to go through the vessels in their listing first, then go to boats listed by another broker within their brokerage. Finally they go out to the boats publicly listed.

This is identical to how real estate is purchased and the MLS.

The broker who owns the listing is the 'Listing Broker'. If another broker approaches the listing broker with a customer, that broker then takes on the ROLE as the 'buyers broker'.

If you approach a broker and you are interested in a boat that he is listing, do not kid yourself. That brokers fiduciary responsibility is to the seller, despite you indicating that you're 'looking for a buyer's broker'.

There is no broker out there who's business is specifically a "Buyers Broker". They are all just brokers.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Paul,
While I technically agree with the general gist of what others are saying, you can find brokers who will do a very good job helping a buyer find a boat that is "right for them". Especially if you are trying to "buy from a distance", this can be useful. However, to obtain a good result, you may have to "check out" quite a few brokers to find one who will do a good job for you. Asking for references here, is a good start.

Unfortunately I do not know any brokers in that area. We did use a broker in Vancouver who we were very happy with, and he was very helpful in all of our dealings as a buyer.
Good luck.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #10

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Depending on what boats you're looking at, a well-connected broker may have "pocket listings" or know boats that are for sale but haven't yet been listed. Lots of Nordhavns change hands this way. Earlier this year I sold my Nordic Tug and bought my Nordhavn and neither boat was ever listed on Yachtworld.

If you have a specific brand and model you're looking for, put out feelers to owners groups if possible. Sometimes owners become sellers when there's someone asking to buy.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the referrals and information. I know people's intentions are well and I know that a broker is a broker just like a real estate agent is a real estate agent. Which is why I put the "buyers" broker in parentheses. The big difference is whether that broker (or re agent) is working for me or the seller.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to point out the difference but but I am looking for a broker that will represent me in a sale especially since, I live out of state, I will need information and direction on multiple issues like not paying CA sales tax since I will be taking the boat out of CA and registering it in Alaska, and so forth.

I already have found a boat that I am interested in looking at and possibly making an offer on. I want a broker that will solely work for me and my interests not the sellers.

I have reached out to Jeff by phone and text this morning and so far have not received any response back. I know that between being busy in this current market and the holidays I need to have patience. However, between the current market, the fact that this boat I am interested in appears very competitively priced and my very limited schedule over the next few weeks, my window to get to CA and take any action is currently very limited. If I don't get a response from Jeff today I may just have to take my chances with the sellers broker.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:36 PM   #12
Guru

Paul - Okay, I get it. It's a tough market to buy into right now. Sounds like you're pretty sure you found the right match for your needs.

I just responded to another thread about a couple of remote buyers who had had interesting results due to their distance. Once flew in for sea trial/survey to find the seller greatly restricted time and access for both. The other, the seller wanted the buyer to reimburse him for re-wrapping the boat if the buyer did not follow-through with purchase. These are not things that happen in a buyer's market, so I understand your urgency.

I wonder if finding a surveyor with time will be the hard part. One path may be to put the boat under contract remotely. If the broker is a licensed broker in California, they will use a standard sales' agreement that is pretty fairly worded (don't get me wrong, you still need to read carefully). Make sure you have time to find a SAMs or NAMs surveyor and have the boat pre-viewed and evaluated prior to a full-on survey and sea trial. Paying them $500 (guess) sure beats driving 2000 miles only to be disappointed.

You may also reach-out to see if anyone on this forum lives nearby and could take a peek at the boat to make sure it's close to the pictures. TF has recently started an "envoy" function where members indicate they are open to help other TF members in the area. I know it wouldn't take much to get me out of the house for some close bodily contact with nubile boat-flesh (St Pete FL)

Good luck!

Peter
Old 12-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #13

Peter, thanks for the reply and info. Yes, we are living in strange times for so many reasons. I also despise having to purchase in a sellers market as it can create a bigger emotional "need to move now" response rather than a rational and logical approach to a big purchase. It can cause one to overlook or miss things that otherwise might have been noticed in a different and more reasonable market. That being said, we are where we are at this time.

Yes, I agree, with the Covid crisis in CA, the current market and my limited time between now and the end of Jan (after that time I'm wide open), finding a surveyor or yard haul out opportunity may be a major challenge which is why I am trying to move things along. I've reached out to the sellers broker to see what my options might be.

If I am not successful in the next day or so I may reach out to a TF member to see if I can get some help to "see" the boat, but that only partially helps me out but not very much with all of the other questions, logistics and obstacles for me.

It's a 7hr drive from where I am currently located in AZ and even though my time is very tight at the moment, it may have to be what I need to do in order to see if this is THE boat for us.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #14

I finally touched base with Jeff Merrill today and we are going to meet up this Thursday (7+ hr drive for me). My first impression is he is a very decent and straightforward guy and seems to match his reputation on this forum.

I won't know for sure if the boat I will be looking at is THE one until I see it and decide whether or not to make an offer, but it's a start.

Thanks to all for the help and pointing me in the right direction!
Old 12-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #15
Guru

Good luck. Tell Jeff Peter from the Willard 36 in Ensenada says hello.

Fingers crossed the boat you're interested in shows well. Please provide updates and pictures when you're comfortable doinf so.

Peter
Old 12-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #16

Will do Peter. Thanks for the info earlier. It's great to glean others knowledge and experience on this forum.

If we do make and have an accepted offer, I will plan to post a couple pics for sure.

Of course, that will just be the beginning of the process....
Old 12-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Firedude View Post
The big difference is whether that broker (or re agent) is working for me or the seller.
This is an extremely important question to ask. The first two questions I ask when a broker shows me a boat:

1) Is this one of your listings?

2) Is this boat listed with your brokerage.

Technically (to my knowledge) the brokerage has the fiduciary responsibility to the seller. So if the boat is listed with the another broker at the same brokerage the entire brokerage is representing the sellers interest.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Seal Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Epiphany
Vessel Model: 2001 Maxum 4100 SCA
I live close and if you want pics I can take.....I've been looking to buy since August and have walked away from 4 boats I've made offers on only to find what is listed does not match what is real. PM me, I'm retired and Huntington Harbour is 4 miles away
Jorgeinseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #19
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
How about a broker that has no listings but only represents buyers? Is that a "buyers broker" by your definition?

They do exist and I worked with a very good one last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I agree. It's a weird concept that seems to exist in the marine world only. They are ALL Brokers. They are the listing broker on a number of vessels. When you contact a broker, they typically try to go through the vessels in their listing first, then go to boats listed by another broker within their brokerage. Finally they go out to the boats publicly listed.

This is identical to how real estate is purchased and the MLS.

The broker who owns the listing is the 'Listing Broker'. If another broker approaches the listing broker with a customer, that broker then takes on the ROLE as the 'buyers broker'.

If you approach a broker and you are interested in a boat that he is listing, do not kid yourself. That brokers fiduciary responsibility is to the seller, despite you indicating that you're 'looking for a buyer's broker'.

There is no broker out there who's business is specifically a "Buyers Broker". They are all just brokers.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
How about a broker that has no listings but only represents buyers? Is that a "buyers broker" by your definition?

They do exist and I worked with a very good one last year.
Buyer's Broker's simply do not exist. All brokers understand that to close a deal they need a willing buyer and a willing seller. Sometimes you have to sell the boat, sometimes you have to help the buyer make a purchase decision. At lower price points, it becomes a bit transactional - if the buyer is too far from making a purchase decision, a broker may cut his losses. Good brokers will invest some time and work their way into higher price points so they can afford to invest more time with buyers. A good broker is adept at representing sellers and representing buyers.

I just wish this term of "Buyer's Broker" would go away. Pretty sure what people really mean is "I need some help in sorting through the market. Anyone know a decent broker? I'm located in XX, I think I'm looking for YY type of boat, and I have about $ZZ to spend." This Buyer's Broker stuff is confusing.

Peter