Old 05-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Airagone Strider
Vessel Model: Cal 39
Boat Documentation Process?

Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of buying a Jefferson 42. It's a private sale and no broker is involved. ( Hopefully it'll pass the survey on Tuesday!). It's currently registered in Massachusetts. We want to get it documented with the Coast Guard.

Can anyone give me a phone number or a web address to get that done without going through one of those private documentation services? Seems like they are all more expensive than they ought to be.

Any tips on going through the process?

I'll appreciate your help.

Thanks
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #2

City: Richmond
Google is your friend.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...tation-Center/
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have done it by myself before and also have used a doc service on several boats. You will need accurate measurements of the boat. Go to the NVDS web site and download the forms. Try to make sure you get it right the first time as it will probably take forever to get it processed and returned to you. If there is a lein involved the bank will probably make you use a doc service.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
DLP
Veteran Member

City: Baton Rouge
Vessel Name: Someday's Here
Vessel Model: 1987 Jefferson 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of buying a Jefferson 42. It's a private sale and no broker is involved. ( Hopefully it'll pass the survey on Tuesday!). It's currently registered in Massachusetts. We want to get it documented with the Coast Guard.

Can anyone give me a phone number or a web address to get that done without going through one of those private documentation services? Seems like they are all more expensive than they ought to be.

Any tips on going through the process?

I'll appreciate your help.

Thanks
Hey Scott
Hope everything goes well on the Jeff. We like ours.
While it is easy to doc a boat with CG make sure without a broker or closing agent to make sure the boat has a clean BOS or title so no issues down the road as of Liens etc etc. But I am sure you are on top of things
Keep us posted and send pics asap. Always love to look at other Jeffersons

Welcome

Stop The Madness Start The Adventure
DLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
You’ll probably still want to state register the boat. You’ll have to anyway if you keep in MA or FL and it will allow you to use the boat immediately. The wait time for the USCG vessel doc from what others have posted on the forum can take a few months.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I can recommend Peggy Vann at Vann Maritime, she handled our documentation change of ownership, Florida registration, tender title transfer and other matters recently. While I know for certain that I could have done all of this myself, she made it fast and easy with no errors or corrections needed and all with me being out of state and with ownership of an LLC changing hands as well. Her fee was entirely reasonable, not only for the work she did for us, but for the peace of mind knowing that nothing was overlooked.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:36 PM   #7

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Congratulations. We love our Jefferson. Send pictures.

And doing the documentation yourself is relatively easy.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
You’ll probably still want to state register the boat. You’ll have to anyway if you keep in MA or FL and it will allow you to use the boat immediately. The wait time for the USCG vessel doc from what others have posted on the forum can take a few months.
You don’t need to “register” the boat if it is being documented. You will probably have to do the state paperwork and pay the sales tax, if any is applicable. In Michigan the process is very similat to registering, but you do not display the registration numbers. When documenting the boat, if you do it yourself, make sure you make copies of the doc paperwork and carry it on board. When we used a doc service, they provided paperwork showing the boat was in the process of being documented. It took about 4 months, 2.5 years ago, for our documentation to come through. Don’t know what the turnaround time is now.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #9

Most states do require documented boats to be registered. The process is the same, you just don't put numbers on the bow. State registration sticker, yes, numbers, no.
I'm in VA where registration is optional. I've never registered my documented boat.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
You don’t need to “register” the boat if it is being documented. You will probably have to do the state paperwork and pay the sales tax, if any is applicable. In Michigan the process is very similat to registering, but you do not display the registration numbers.

Just a matter of semantics and differences in state laws. Almost every state requires that you register it in some way. Primarily that is to ensure the state can collect their taxes. In WA, you don't have to put registration numbers on your boat, but you do have to display a current registration sticker.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Just a matter of semantics and differences in state laws. Almost every state requires that you register it in some way. Primarily that is to ensure the state can collect their taxes. In WA, you don't have to put registration numbers on your boat, but you do have to display a current registration sticker.
Not just WA, you cannot put any state numbers on a documented boat in any state per Coast Guard regulations.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Not just WA, you cannot put any state numbers on a documented boat in any state per Coast Guard regulations.

You’re right. I worded it wrong.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
But you will need to display the boat's name and "home port" on the exterior and permanently install documentation number in the interior per USCG requirements/specifications.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:14 PM   #14

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Odin
Vessel Model: Albin 28TE
Easy to document a boat in your name if it was previously documented.
If it was not, then you need the builder’s certificate. In my case it was not longer available. Boat was built in 2001 and the factory out of business. Searched the State archives, nothing, previous owner looked all over, nothing.
There was a way doing something and paying $500 to get it done without the builder’s certificate, but only for private use. (I was planing to run charters)
Found some kind of a loop hole about doing a simplified measurement of the boat and if it came to less than 5 tons net using the USCG online calculator, I could still run charters without documenting the boat..It worked.

If the boat was previously documented, do it yourself and down load the paperwork needed from the USCG website.
Did it last year on a previous boat and paid about $124 total.
LN-RTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #15
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I can recommend Peggy Vann at Vann Maritime, she handled our documentation change of ownership, Florida registration, tender title transfer and other matters recently. While I know for certain that I could have done all of this myself, she made it fast and easy with no errors or corrections needed and all with me being out of state and with ownership of an LLC changing hands as well. Her fee was entirely reasonable, not only for the work she did for us, but for the peace of mind knowing that nothing was overlooked.
Another vote for Peggy. She handled our paperwork a couple of years ago and it was seamless.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Scott: There is a reason why the private documentation companies upcharge so much. It's because they know that most customers don't want to deal with the hassle of doing it themselves.

If you decide to go the private route in Mass: Then call Maria at Vessel Documentation Service at 508.746.5905. She was great and very knowledgeable.

136 Jordan Road
Plymouth, Ma

WEBSITE

I bought my boat in late July and I got my temp USCG documentation reg in about 2 weeks or so after we had a signed/accepted offer (so essentially at the closing of the sale the boat was documented). The temp. reg. is valid proof of documentation and will need to be on the boat until you receive your permanent docs. I got my official docs about 4 or 5 months later.

ANOTHER THING: In Mass. a USCG documented vessel does not need to be registered with the state. Period. End of discussion. I can't and won't speak about other states. Are you gonna be in FL or Mass?

Good luck Scott. And I hope you put that $125 or so that save by not using a vessel doc service towards something good! But remember that we will all inevitably have to B.O.A T at some point!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #17
Master and Commander

Renewing USCG documentation directly is as easy as paying a bill online or sending a check, and certainly no more difficult than arranging for a third party to do the task.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Renewing USCG documentation directly is as easy as paying a bill online or sending a check, and certainly no more difficult than arranging for a third party to do the task.
BUT......he's not renewing. He transferring, which is totally different. Lol

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #19
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
BUT......he's not renewing. He transferring, which is totally different. Lol
Yes, and next year he will need to renew.

PS: I did the initial documentation myself for my boat Filling the application form was easy once the boat's critical data was obtained. (Got it from the builder.) I wouldn't expect a documentation service company to have that data.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:29 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yes, and next year he will need to renew.

PS: I did the initial documentation myself for my boat Filling the application form was easy once the boat's critical data was obtained. (Got it from the builder.) I wouldn't expect a documentation service company to have that data.
But the good ones know what they need and how to get it. You keep offering all these scenarios and saying he doesn't need a documentation service company when none of the scenarios you've outlined are like his. Complicated is when a boat changes hands. Most complicated is when one changes hands and has never been documented. That's when one may well need assistance.

Now, of course, the OP made it clear he considers them more expensive than they should be although he has no idea what they do, but has said he doesn't want to use one. That leaves him most likely to go to the website, to submit it, to get it back, to try again and to go back and forth for a long time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote