Approved for a boat loan, but bank does not like the boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Totally agree with SeeVee - we leveraged the considerable equity in our home to finance our boat and then paid it off (about $90K) before I retired. Nobody asked what we were using the money for and if they had asked it would have been MYOB.

I read the 1st page of replies and skipped to the last page. Sorry if I missed something but have you tried a credit union specifically NFCU, Vystar or USAA?
I swear by them when borrowing larger money. Vystar financed my overpriced 1971 bucket of bolts without batting an eye albeit they hold the mortgage on my home.

It may be an insurance issue, too. A lot of marine insurances heavily decrease the value of boats more than 20 years of age. More importantly banks are hard to deal with unless you really don't need their money. That is why we have Credit Union accounts . . . no longer wanted to deal with banks, their paper work, high interest, and changing personnel.

My local bank that did not tell me about the engine deal is actually giving me a great rate. 5.5% for 15 years. I would just assume use their money, and go have fun as I am not getting any younger.

Hunting around for other loans, most banks have a max age on the boat set at 20 years old, and one place had it set to 30 years old. Again my local bank beat that also. One thing that a lender did tell me was to think about an exit strategy. If I buy a 30 year old boat and keep it for 5 years, when I go to sell it, it will be 35 years old and the next buyer will not be able to get a loan on it.

I am going to say all of this with good intentions...

You need to do your homework.

It is pretty much common knowledge that lenders start getting uncomfortable when a boat is 20+ years old. Sure there are some lenders that will be fine or can be convinced with a higher down payment, etc. Any pre-approval I have gotten when there is going to be collateral involved has been pre-approved for that specific collateral. I.e. The lender knows the make/model/year/etc of the boat before issuing the pre-approval.

Have you made sure you can get insurance on the boat? I always get an insurance quote BEFORE even going to any lender. It costs you nothing, doesnt hurt your credit, gives you an idea on cost, and most importantly if most insurance companies will be fine with the boat. Many insurance companies will require periodic surveys on older boats and some will cancel policies on boats as they don't get a clean bill of health in a future survey or simply because they age.

Have you factored in cost of ownership? Old boats can cost big money to maintain. You haven't shared the boat with us but one could end up spending what they paid for a boat (or more) in maintenance and fixing things. A 45 year old boat pretty much should've had all systems replaced/overhauled not only once before but twice at this point, at least.

There are many lenders out there that know how to work around issues. I have found credit unions to be the most flexible, best rates, and offer things you cannot find anywhere else when you go through a mortgage broker. I think the going rate on $100k+ borrowed is 4.75% or so right now but age may play a factor in the rate. 5.5% is not too far off. Down payment is another consideration. I've seen as low as 10% but have a feeling someone is going to want to see 20-25%+ on a 45 year old boat. I would start with Jen @ Yacht Closer and then Boatbanker/Unibank.

Also, you have to expect to spend some $$$ searching for a new boat, whether its flights, hotel, meals, surveys, mechanical inspections, etc. It is a sunk cost. The boat could very well fail the survey. Unless there was a material misrepresentation, you are not going to be able to get anyone to pay your bills. I like to do a TON of due diligence up front. Basically I learn the boat inside out before I even am booking flights, scheduling surveys, etc. Tons of high resolution pictures, getting a statement in writing that there are no known issues/damage/everything is in working order, etc. In addition to a surveyor, you also need to hire a mechanic that specializes in the make/model engines and genset. This can easily cost another $1-2k ON TOP of the Surveyor. I would be reviewing detailed service records, specs on the rebuilds, etc, before even going to contract, putting a deposit down, booking surveyors, flights, etc.

I would recommend negotiating a deal, contracts, deposits, etc, before booking flights. Your offer is based on how things were represented to you at the time so you can renegotiate or walkaway. I would make sure the contract spells out specifics of how the deposit is refundable, if there is an escrow agent, etc. I would highly recommend as a part of the due diligence, you run title abstracts, UCC lien searches, etc, to confirm the title(s) are free and clear. Again, there is a TON to do before booking surveyors, flights, etc.

I wish you luck in finding a good boat just make sure you know what you are getting into.

A number of loan sources dont want to finance older boats. In 2017 we bought a 1986 trawler and after being told no by a couple of houses including Sterling, we arranged financing thru Seacoast National bank in florida. Our contact there was Charlie Beres 954-767-1031

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom