Old 08-31-2023, 09:37 AM   #1

City: Atlantic Beach
changing market for used boats?

In the market for a used trawler, 28 to 32 feet range.

Time has come for a change from sail to power.

Last few years being a seller's market

Recently noticed more listings, and lower prices?

Not sure if it is true (the changes in listings and asking prices) or just wishful thinking.

Comments.

thank you
Davil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:44 AM   #2
Guru

City: West Palm Beach
Vessel Name: Sun Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
It does seem that there a few more on the market nowadays. The way I look at it, lots of times there is no rhyme or reason. If you are in the market to buy a boat, buy one. Good luck with your search!
PhilPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:46 AM   #3

thanks
agree
Old 08-31-2023, 10:05 AM   #4

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: High Noon V / SV Evelyn
Vessel Model: Golden Star 42 / Ericson 30 / Yard full of trailer boats
Please check the listings here on the forum. A long time valued contributor Pete Meisinger just listed his, in your range and a pristine boat.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 10:18 AM   #5

thanks on it
Old 08-31-2023, 10:55 AM   #6

City: Cedaredge
I’ve basically been following GB woodies for quite some time now. Have noticed prices dropping over the past month, and much like last year they will fall even more as the season comes to an end.

There’s a few been on the market now for over a year and have dropped in price substantially from up in the 70k range down to the 30/40k range.

Couple glass hulls, 36ft have come down to the mid 50s

Come end of sept beginning of Oct should be lots of nice boats at good price points available.

If you follow regular you see boats drop off the market in fall and come back in the spring priced higher. Then by end of season there back to last falls price.
GrandWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:28 PM   #7

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: High Noon V / SV Evelyn
Vessel Model: Golden Star 42 / Ericson 30 / Yard full of trailer boats
Definately a window. Narrower the further north you go. After September you have a month to winterize and plan for storage. Never understood the thought that it will be worth more next year. I know it will definately cost more.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
IMO its only going to get better in the foreseeable future for boat buyers.

there are many folks that entered the market during covid and though a boat is like a car. they will continue to exit the boating market.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:24 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
We've had a number of threads of course on trying to gauge the market, but I have the same impression lately. More boats for sale, more listings on ebay (for what that's worth, more boats for sale or changing hands at our (now 500-slip) marina. On our dock alone, a few dock neighbors bought a couple years ago but then quickly decided, nope, not for us. Way too much work and money to maintain if I had to guess.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: Stockton
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: 1979 Island Gypsy 44 Flush Aft Deck
At my dock, I am one of the few (like 2 out of 50) that moves regularly. There are also no 50 foot berths available, dock is full.

Dock is full of big boats that don't go for boat rides.
Delta Riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 01:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Model: Kha Shing/king 37 aft cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil1 View Post
In the market for a used trawler, 28 to 32 feet range.

Time has come for a change from sail to power.

Last few years being a seller's market

Recently noticed more listings, and lower prices?

Not sure if it is true (the changes in listings and asking prices) or just wishful thinking.

Comments.

thank you
I have a 37 Sundeck 1983 in great shape i have just listed. Let me know if you want information.
smith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 01:16 PM   #12

trawler

thank you very much
too big for my needs

28 to most 32 ft, ideally 30

take care and thank you

David
Old 09-08-2023, 02:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver island
True story

FYI-My 28’ pelagic trawler will be coming up for sale soon on Vancouver island.🍀
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil1 View Post
thank you very much
too big for my needs

28 to most 32 ft, ideally 30

take care and thank you

David
Xlshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 02:45 PM   #14

trawler

thank you
let me know when
David
Old 09-08-2023, 05:07 PM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I mentioned this on another similar thread. It is common for an increase in boats for sale at the end of the season. It is also common for boats that have been on the market all summer to drop their price at the end of the season.

The question is, is this the normal end of season action or are we seeing a real change in the boat market?

Honestly, I don’t know which is happening. Fuel cost is up. Interest rates are up, inflation is up. These are common signs that drive boat prices down and inventory up.

On the other hand I don’t see any growth in the sub 10 year inventory. All the price dropping I see are on old boats and distressed boats. These are signs that say the market hasn’t really changed.

The average boat is owned for 5-7 years. It’s a little early for the COVID surge to start selling. On the other hand I feel like a lot of non boaters jumped in impulsively and are likely to jump out just as quickly.

My gut tells me that we are in the early days of a mass drop in boat values. The last time I felt like this was 2006. I was right however the mass exodus didn’t show up until 2009.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 05:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Gulf Coast
Got a 2001 31' Camano Troll for you. Can't beat it
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 11:58 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
The question is, is this the normal end of season action or are we seeing a real change in the boat market?
Change in boat market. Early 2022 my GB36 average asking price $75K, year later gave it away for $30K mid 2023. Others have said the same.

Asking prices on my current boat are sliding to and below my purchase price. One would call this a buyers market except there are not enough buyers for the inventory. JMO
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 08:44 AM   #18
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
My 36 foot Albin sold quickly, lots of interest and lots of calls. However, I had it priced very low. In fact the price covered the cost of my engine rebuild and one or two items of improvement.

On the other side of the coin, I got more than I paid for it 12 years ago. I had many hours of great times on it and I did lots of maintenance and improvements.

Then again, the third side of the coin. I spent around the sale price on dockage and storage.

I have been following the used boat market pretty closely, especially the 32 - 38 foot trawler market. Not a lot of selection in the under $50,000 range. I had tried to sell mine a year or two ago for $37,000 and didn't get a call. Dropped the price to $25,000 and gone in a week. Basically sight unseen, no survey.

To sell a boat, price it right. To buy a boat, act fast and pay the asking price (if you find the right one).

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 10:24 AM   #19

City: New Smyrna Beach, Fl. & Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Salty Dog & Last Dragon
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster & Mainship 34 MK 1
They say real estate is all about location. And boats are all about condition. We looked long and hard for our 34 Mk I Mainship. Lotta stuff for sale with big time deferred maintenance and generally poor condition. But asking prices still up there. Requires patience.

We’ve got two boats, one on the Tennessee River and one in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. See a lot of Loopers come through both locations. Great people, but have driven certain models of small to mid size trawler prices up.
Jc180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 10:34 AM   #20

City: Port Labelle
Vessel Name: Growler
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
To sell a boat, price it right. To buy a boat, act fast and pay the asking price (if you find the right one).

pete
This - 100%

When we were selling our sailboat, we were all over the East Coast trawler/cruiser market looking and there were boats everywhere in the condition we wanted for good prices. But it was January/February.

We closed near the end of March, and took a week to get everything off the boat, into vehicles, and transported to our temporary land home 100 miles away. When we got settled and started looking again, it was like a desert. All the boats that were there before were gone.

It remained a veritable desert right up to the point where we found our boat - but it was just blind luck. I woke up one morning and decided to check Craigslist - something I swore I wouldn't do - and found her. She was listed about 15 minutes prior to me opening the ad. I texted the guy, he called me, told me the backstory, and I said that if everything was copasetic and as described, we would pay what he was asking. Without meeting me, he guaranteed he would hold the boat without a deposit until we got down there to see it two weeks later.

He and I talked almost every day after that - and I had a surveyor I met while looking at other junk boats who happened to be in the area where the boat was docked - 400 miles from us. He went by, met the owner, took a look, and texted me one sentence "Send a deposit." He didn't do a full survey, but he sent a report later detailing where all the issues were above the waterline and said, "For the money, you're getting exactly what you wanted." So I sent the owner $1000 and a week later, we went down, confirmed everything looked good, and sealed the deal.

We knew what it would take to get her where we wanted her - but the asking price was *more* than right and we bought her without a sea trial or haul-out inspection.

Right place, right time.
DBG8492 is offline   Reply With Quote