Advice Needed Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:iagree:

Also, and some one correct me if I am wrong! My Uncle's boat goes back 50 years ago and I hope my memory is right on this.

My Uncle, in the spring would put the boat in the water after being on the hard all winter. The planks are dry so they would shrink. When the boat goes in, water was leaking into the bulge. He needed two or three pumps to keep up with it. In time the planks swelled up and the leaks stopped or slowed down. He also had to put some type of calking between the planks too.

It was a lot of work from what I could remember!

Iggy - That's it in a nut shell!

And back then there were craftsmen that knew how to work on woodies, not so much now. Those guys are retired or dead…

I am not dead! :dance:

But - I also do not want to own nor work on a woodie! :facepalm:

IMO: I was lucky from birth onward being on/in/around/aboard boats much of the time. Worked with dad on ours, worked in boat-yards on others and by latter teens worked in new boat manufacturer in Maine. Great fun and experiences. :thumb:

I'm confident that if all else falls asunder in the world... Wife and I can always exist on some sort of a boat!

I am not dead! :dance:

But - I also do not want to own nor work on a woodie! :facepalm:

IMO: I was lucky from birth onward being on/in/around/aboard boats much of the time. Worked with dad on ours, worked in boat-yards on others and by latter teens worked in new boat manufacturer in Maine. Great fun and experiences. :thumb:

I'm confident that if all else falls asunder in the world... Wife and I can always exist on some sort of a boat!

Are you sure??? I was speaking of the craftsmen that did repairs on wooden boats for a living. Not a lot of them left anymore. And that is just one problem with owning a woodie. Unless you are a skilled boat woodworker and plan on doing the work on your own.

I don’t talk wood boats on this forum generally for the obvious reason that not many here are interested in them so threads aren’t very common. But this thread has penetrated my threshold for BS and prejudiced opinions without substantiation. Just too many in this thread who have strong opinions but not much more. Not to say a $39k 50’ DeFever isn’t seriously suspect or being offered from Nigeria but blanket prejudice against wooden boats is absurd unless you actually have some experience or information that makes sense. If so I haven’t heard it.

“Stay Away” I knew a guy who had one and it broke him”
How old and who built it not to mentioned maintenance

You’re paying somebody to get rid of a boat that will have to be disposed of
Is there any basis or information to support such a radical assessment ?

It will cost you $200K to have a boat that will sell for $40,000.00
Now there is a comment and assessment supported by concrete facts

And of course one member who despite the facts keeps chiming on you can’t get insurance or financing.
Maybe not with those big dumb cheap companies that instead of hiring competent help to assess risks they run on volume to level out the pot holes of experience.

The Vigilante Cure. Okay boys we all know ole Ben’s gotta wood boat and I say we do something about it. He’s giving this marina a bad name my Wife and little boy can’t even go to church without the towns folks funnin them and kicking dirt on my wife. It ain’t right boys, one bad apple is all it takes to give us and other real boat owners a serious problem. So I say let’s string him up and take that wood monstrosity out to the harbor entrance and let the bulls have it and warn anybody with a wood boat that we won’t tolerate it so don’t come in here.

Weebles has offered up some photos of a wooden Vee bottom hull in I’d guess Mexican yard and further speculate is a commercial passenger or sport fish. He states it would take 15 years to conduct a full rebuild and would require removing all planks ? That the fuel tanks crushed the chine logs and broke about fifteen frames on each side.

Let me offer these comments, not in a personal vein but strictly some facts . You could most likely built a Vee bottom vessel of this type in maybe 18 months to 24 months depending on fit and finish. There is almost never a need to remove all planking for a refit or rebuild on vessels of this type unless a museum is involved. From the photos he attached I see this: If the tanks crushed the chine logs I don’t see it in the photos and frankly if the outboard lower edge of a wing fuel tank was in contact with the chine log I’d like to know how ? It appears there are deep longitudinal yellow pine stringers just inboard of the broken frames pictured. Not sure how you’d get a tank in there but if they were then I have to inquire where are the tank bearers or those timbers atop the frames to keep tanks from contacting the hull skin or framing.

The vessel has typical single sawn frames with perhaps some intermediate frames in between as seen in #1 photo. The fracture is really separated and weathered which is kind of odd if the boat had been wet recently. There is photo evidence of previous repairs and what looks like top strap frame repairs. #2 you can see the bandsaw marks on the deep pine stringer but no tank so I’m guessing they were already removed. #4 is very telling as it shows a really advanced condition known as ‘ brown rot ‘. This is condition where the fungal mold destroys the cellulose leaving crumbly wood remnants that resemble charred or cubical appearance. This indicates to me that the boat has probably been out of the water or very dry for a long long time. However I see a white painted edge on a member that makes no sense. There shouldn’t be any painted surfaces in this part of the bilge so things have been moved around making it difficult to figure.

The vessel appears to be mid-Atlantic built of hard Southern yellow pine with Vee bottom, sawn frame hard chine and double set of major deep stringers. My guess is she was a passenger or sportfish boat. Anyway you look at it, it’s certainly not a representative example of a wood boat problems. It is however a splendid example of extreme rot and localized frame failure for this type of hull construction.

Rick

Well, first it is an old wooden boat. I would expect it will need extensive work. I would have a survey done by an experienced wooden boat surveyor. Then a mechanical survey done on the Lehmans. But before you proceed in making an offer, find out if you can obtain insurance and a slip in a marina. There are a lot of marinas that will not allow wooden boats to be stored or hauled. And a lot of insurance companies will not write insurance on either wooden boats or boats of that age. When we were looking for our current boat we drove 13.5 hours each way to look at a boat and then 9.5 hours each way to see another one. Neither of which did we buy. That is what it sometimes takes when looking at boats.[/QUOTE

From the post above.
And of course one member who despite the facts keeps chiming on you can’t get insurance or financing.

I guess this is me. However I never said that you can’t get insurance or financing. Please read what I said again. I said find out if you can obtain insurance and a slip. There are a lot of companies that do not insure older wooden boats. Nothing that I said is incorrect.

:...blanket prejudice against wooden boats is absurd unless you actually have some experience or information that makes sense."

I have a lot of experience with wood boats. In my opinion they require more maintenance than a fiberglass boat. In my opinion if you are not a woodworker you will not enjoy a wood boat. In my opinion you will spend most summers working on the wood boat and not in the water. In my opinion wood boats are generally project boats. In my opinion there are no marine craftsmen readily available to repair wood boats. In my opinion anyone who buys a wood boat is a dreamer.

Anyone who ignores substantial anecdotal data is way out on a limb. Anecdotal opinions do not have to make sense. They are informal and unscientific by definition.

I have a lot of experience with wood boats. In my opinion they require more maintenance than a fiberglass boat. In my opinion if you are not a woodworker you will not enjoy a wood boat. In my opinion you will spend most summers working on the wood boat and not in the water. In my opinion wood boats are generally project boats. In my opinion there are no marine craftsmen readily available to repair wood boats. In my opinion anyone who buys a wood boat is a dreamer.

Anyone who ignores substantial anecdotal data is way out on a limb. Anecdotal opinions do not have to make sense. They are informal and unscientific by definition.

You live in Boston and don’t know anybody who works on wooden boats ? You are kidding right ? Nah you’re pulling my leg. But just in case, if you’re serious and live above ground this tells me volumes and explains all your “ Opinions “

Rick

April, lots of good advice above, with nearly all of which I agree. Just want to add this: because you have had extensive experience with sailboats (up to 45'), you are entitled to feel a little more confidence in your own ability to evaluate, at least on a preliminary basis, an old powerboat. If you hear this old GB calling you (believe me, I've heard that call!), then get in the car, make the drive, and step aboard. Look, smell, knock and touch, and keep listening for the sounds an older wooden boat makes. Before long, I suspect your gut will tell you whether it's worth spending money on a professional survey.

Even an older fiberglass Grand Banks can be a nest of demons. Decks, tanks and windows are the big three, and there are plenty of others before you even get to the engines. Old woodies like this Alaskan are at another level entirely. They require so much continuing care that any owner who has invested what's necessary to keep one in worry-free condition would be asking a lot more than $39K.

But consider going to have a look anyway. In my boat buying experience, you sometimes have to travel far and kiss a lot of frogs before one turns into a prince or princess.

Read 'Surveying Wood Hulls' by David Pascoe.
https://www.yachtsurvey.com/Wood.htm

With all due respects to Dave he wasn’t anybody that other surveyors would term a ‘ Wood Boat Surveyor ‘. Good writer who regurgitated lots of wood hull adages and knew the basics but honestly all his writings were fundementally lacking technical depth

Rick

Weebles has offered up some photos of a wooden Vee bottom hull in I’d guess Mexican yard and further speculate is a commercial passenger or sport fish. He states it would take 15 years to conduct a full rebuild and would require removing all planks ? That the fuel tanks crushed the chine logs and broke about fifteen frames on each side.

Boat is a 1982 McQueen 80-something foot motoryacht, built in BC. What I meant about the 15-year comment is the repair was not intended to be a 'forever-like-new' repair, more one that would last another 15-20 years and then likely need to be repeated. The ribs were sistered vs rebuilt which is a significantly more intricate process as all planking must be removed to gain access to the ribs.

It's not that the fuel tanks broke the chine logs, but the weight of the 1500g of fuel - 5-tons - contributed to the travelift strapes crushing the chines. The yard will pump-out the fuel before re-launch. I'd reckon that large wooden boats should be hauled on a railway where point-loads of a travelift can be avoided. There are not many railway-yards left in California, and few yards will haul a wooden boat for several reasons not the least of which is they tend to crush if the superstructure isn't sound.

EDIT -
The vessel has typical single sawn frames with perhaps some intermediate frames in between as seen in #1 photo. The fracture is really separated and weathered which is kind of odd if the boat had been wet recently. There is photo evidence of previous repairs and what looks like top strap frame repairs. #2 you can see the bandsaw marks on the deep pine stringer but no tank so I’m guessing they were already removed. #4 is very telling as it shows a really advanced condition known as ‘ brown rot ‘. This is condition where the fungal mold destroys the cellulose leaving crumbly wood remnants that resemble charred or cubical appearance. This indicates to me that the boat has probably been out of the water or very dry for a long long time. However I see a white painted edge on a member that makes no sense. There shouldn’t be any painted surfaces in this part of the bilge so things have been moved around making it difficult to figure.

The vessel appears to be mid-Atlantic built of hard Southern yellow pine with Vee bottom, sawn frame hard chine and double set of major deep stringers. My guess is she was a passenger or sportfish boat. Anyway you look at it, it’s certainly not a representative example of a wood boat problems. It is however a splendid example of extreme rot and localized frame failure for this type of hull construction.

Rick, if your comments about pics were directed at the pics I posted, all I can tell you is I watched the boat arrive under her own power, get picked out of the water, and blocked. She was not dry, not an east coast boat, tanks were in-place, construction was mahogany not yellow pine. The fuel tanks rest on heave longitudinal stringers that had pressed into the ribs and deformed the planking upon lift. The owner was unable to find a yard in SoCal that would haul the boat and thus ended-up in Ensenada and signed a release prior to being hauled.

While dated, this boat appeared to be in good condition - something of a time capsule. Exterior needs paint as is normal for a 40-year old wood boat. There was little hint that the super-structure/ribs were as bad as they were. It is from a Canadian builder of decent reputation. I would consider the scantlings a bit light - I am told by someone who was very familiar with McQueen's that the boat was meant to be relatively lightweight to keep speed up.

Not sure what your point was in calling this out. I was there, you were not. I watched the repair transpire over the course of 2-months (and going) and know the carpenter reasonably well- a 60-year old guy who has been working on wooden boats on/off for 40-years. There is no BS in my post nor the pictures. The rotted/crushed/broken ribs were not easily visible due to the fact that rot often manifests from the inside-out, and they were hidden by large fuel tanks.

But hey, buy all the wooden boats you want. But I believe it fair game to call-out instances of hidden repair.

Peter

Last edited:
Okay Weebles you’ve had time to tweak your response I don’t really care it’s not a life or death issue here. However you honestly did not say what you’ve just proposed in your rebuttal I guess you’d call it. No chine logs crushed by the tanks, no tank bearers, the fifteen year statement is beyond confusing. Thing is a little bit of knowledge can drag you in to deep water, so if you don’t know what you’re talking about just leave it.

Rick

You live in Boston and don’t know anybody who works on wooden boats ? You are kidding right ? Nah you’re pulling my leg. But just in case, if you’re serious and live above ground this tells me volumes and explains all your “ Opinions “

No wooden boat repairs in Boston. (Only 1 boat yard in Boston)
I do know a marine interior cabinet maker. Does all his work by hand, no power tools, but he does not do hulls.)

Story yard in Essex used to do wood boats but they are now a museum.

There are a couple of small yards down the Cape that still do wooden boat restorations, 1 in Marblehead, 1 in Manchester on the north shore.

I think anyone who buys a wooden boat should have a large backyard and a commercial account at Woodcraft. They will never see the water.

Rick,

I take your word for it that you are an expert in wooden boats. However almost all the people here are not based on what they post. When someone comes here and asks advice on buying a large old wooden boat that is listed for a relatively small price, you have to assume that they too are not an expert in wooden boats. So when they ask advice on how to proceed the best advice is to tread very cautiously. Like make sure you can get insurance, make sure you can find a place to dock it, make sure you can find a yard that is willing to haul it. That isn’t being a wooden boat hater, so to speak, but just trying to make the OP aware of some of the negatives that come with a big, old wooden boat. Many people see a big boat that fits their budget and not understanding that the purchase price will eventually end up being a small part of the cost of owning this big, old wooden boat. The problem is that they most likely don’t know that the eventual cost will be enormous. Then they will maybe put the boat up at a fire sale price and pass it on to another unsuspecting buyer. What do you think the boat that Peter (Weebles) showed photos of and posted about will cost to put in running condition? Even at the lower costs of Mexican labor the cost will be staggering. Most people looking at a $40K big old wooden boat won’t have pockets deep enough to do it. So please temper your love for wooden boats with a bit of caution for the newbie boat owner and maybe help steer them away from a potential personal disaster.

Having grown from birth, often near-about, aboard and/or working-on/tending-to mostly wooden boats, for the first 24 years of life.

Having worked my teen years with boatwrights in boat yards.

Having worked in a new boat manufacturer, building both wood and fiberglass boats.

Having nearly always kept at least a fair part of my life and mind in/with the boating community.

It appears clear that this thread has some who are knowledgably earnest in their posts... others not so much - who think they know or like to act as though they do... and those who simply want to spin inputs to sound like they are all that and a bag of chips.

:nonono: :facepalm:

Bottom line is that all "pleasure" boats are truly a hole in the water into which each of us pour money. Some boats need a lot more $$$ poured in than others.

IMO - from experience: The least "needy" and most inexpensive to own for sale used pleasure boat types are those originally well built, that received ongoing care and maintaince, were docked above freezing undercover in fresh water and was constructed with fiberglass that has excellent original gel coat.

:speed boat: :dance:

https://www.unitedcityyachts.com/boat_listing.php?id=2660 Here is one up in Canada that has had the work done

This post is a good example of how the same boat does not age the same.
The OP is from Florida, did not say where the GB Alaskan is located, The above boat is in Canada.
In my readings I have made note that a GB36 living in BC outlives one living in California and more so than one in Florida due to wood bugs we do not have here.
All wood boats are not built the same way either, not the same quality, not the same materials. Sadly local built McQueen was not GB quality.
What is not considered when an OP posts about a $39,900 boat is that person is buying within their means. Telling them to spend 2-3 times more on plastic is wasted. are there $39,900 plastic boats, if so then why not suggest them?

Okay Weebles you’ve had time to tweak your response I don’t really care it’s not a life or death issue here. However you honestly did not say what you’ve just proposed in your rebuttal I guess you’d call it. No chine logs crushed by the tanks, no tank bearers, the fifteen year statement is beyond confusing. Thing is a little bit of knowledge can drag you in to deep water, so if you don’t know what you’re talking about just leave it.

Rick
An offensive post in my opinion. Could you please observe the "be nice" rule.
I used to enjoy the anecdotal posts i called "tales of a retired surveyor" I think your romantic memories of wooden boats have overcome the objective practical considerations of boat buying and owning. You invoked rudeness to press your point. Like all of us, you are fallible.

I found no offense in his post. I went back and re-read my post that triggered his post and while I don't agree with his "gotcha" summarization, he is entitled to his opinion. I'm an active and sometimes forceful poster here - part of that is occasionally attracting stronger reactions (though I wouldn't expect it in a topic asking if buying an old wooden boat was a good idea). He was clear that not only words but photos of wood boat repairs had pegged his "BS meter." No offense taken. I think he's wrong - very wrong, and I'm entitled to my opinion. All grist for the OP to consider.

I really wish more people would restore older classics. In the 60-foot section of the marina where Weebles is in Ensenada is an older wood motoryacht shrouded in sunbrella covers. Last weekend the covers were off and a woman was cleaning on the foredeck so I chatted a bit. 1955 Chris Craft, I'd guess in the 55-foot range. Her partner had recently passed away and had owned it for about 25-years, 15 of which included her. Apparently a perpetual restoration project which he enjoyed (and they enjoyed together) and she planned to continue. The boat was due for a haul but she was suspect of having work done in Mexico without close supervision (she lives in LA area i guess). She knew of one yard in SoCal that still had a marine railway to haul and was planning to go there - over 200nms away. Tough spot - owning a boat that's labor intensive but needing to have work done in a high-cost area.

The McQueen I cited above arrived with a $35k budget which the (new) owner hoped would get the hull painted, brightwork, and some re-caulking. Nope. For $35k, the boat will depart looking exactly as it did when it arrived. Sure, the boat has had 15-20 years of life breathed into her, but owner didn't know that when he arrived. She will depart still needing the $35k paint job the owner had hoped to have done. Granted it's a large boat, but the Alaskan in the OP is no shrinking violet. Point being that old boats carry surprises. Wooden boats have significantly more potential for unpleasant surprises than a plastic boat. Which is why marinas and yards are so cautious about accepting them. Unloved and unattended plastic boats will float for decades. Similarly uncared for wooden boats have a much shorter shelf life.

For anyone wanting a peek into a truly exceptional restoration of an old wood boat, here's a 35-min professionally done video on Marilee, a 1920s era Herreshchoff one-design for the New York Yacht Club. This was a $3m restoration and gives some idea of how wood boats are built and rebuilt.

https://youtu.be/oqaSWjtF8PI

Peter

Last edited:
I used to enjoy the anecdotal posts i called "tales of a retired surveyor" I think your romantic memories of wooden boats have overcome the objective practical considerations of boat buying and owning. You invoked rudeness to press your point. Like all of us, you are fallible.

I can relate to the frustrations on this and so many topics.

I didn't see any more rudeness in garbler's post than in so many other responses here through the years.

I thought my reply to the OP was posted yesterday but now I see it vanished or was never posted. So here it is.

Let me tell you what I know about these boats and what you should know. But first let me say there are those in this forum who immediately condemn wooden boats then paint them in a corner as uninsurable risks and incapable of securing financing. Blanket statements by people who just don’t know what they are talking about. I’ll have to explain this later in another post but let’s talk about the Alaskans first. Unfortunately my following observations are going to read like one big ill conceived contradiction on wooden boats but I can assure its not. Im only trying to impart some knowledge Ive gained from years working on three of these Defever Alaskans.

Art DeFever was right on the mark with this design in so many ways but construction methods and mostly materials subverted a noble effort. DeFever owned one of the first built and according to those who knew him and sailed with him he loved the way they handled and looked. But like many of his licensed designs built in Taiwan the man could not cover all the bases on the other side of the world and successfully deal with such a huge cultural chasm. In the mid to early 70’s the boat building business in Taiwan was in its infancy or should I say the frontier. The Taiwanese knew little to nothing about fiberglass, molds or yacht construction in general but they knew production and they were incredibly quick learners. Unlike Grand Banks the Kaoshiung builders were years late to tooling or molds but it took years before they had the capability to tool up a mold for the bigger Alaskans so they continued to be built in wood for some time

These hulls are planked with Lauan [ Philippine Mahogany ] fastened with various grades of bronze over bent Ipol frames and not Yacal. Yacal is a dense heavy rot resistant timber similar to Apitong that would be used for the big backbone timbers like the keel, stem members, sternpost and floors. Ipol is a timber similar to white oak that steam bends easily and remains pretty much impervious to fungal rot. Many times the Lauan used in these hulls was late getting to the saw mills. Generally it’s a poor idea to leave a log on the ground too long as fungal rot spores find this as food and once embedded in the timber it stays looking for the right conditions to grow

I really haven’t found too many serious structural issues with the hull underbodies unless it’s wasted plank fasteners and some slack butt joints and seams which are generally related. Other than that you may find bonding issues, not enough zincs or likely too much zinc that can create electrochemical hydrolysis that attacks the wood in way of metal fittings. Hull topsides need a good hands on inspection by a wood hull surveyor. I’ve seen problems in the sheer strake and two planks below in the area of the deck break ( if these models have them ). Drainage can be a problem here allowing standing water and subsequent decay. I’d also look hard at the stemhead and the hood ends ( planking tips at stem ). Most often the paint will tell the story but hammer test will confirm. If the transom is bright ( varnished ) look for dark outboard edges of the planks or if painted out inspect the paint for cracks, weird wrinkles etc meaning soft wood below.

Here is where these boats fail. It’s all about a marriage of defective plywood and Taiwanese poor building procedures. I was informed that most of the plywood used in Kaoshiung’s boat yards came from Malaysia and was rated ‘marine’. It’s unfortunate that nobody in these yards tested this plywood because it was famous for delaminating and rotting when wet. Most that I’ve seen was Lauan veneer probably skinned from the logs I mentioned earlier. The fungal spore were there and ready to grow. So the builders do what ? They sheath this plywood in fiberglass cloth and resin in shop then cut and lay decks with these panels but worse construct the superstructure or deckhouses with it. Panels are erected tied into corner posts the large side windows and windshield are cut out using templates. These cut outs from what I saw are a precise tight template fit. Really no room for any epoxy or resin to treat exposed edges of plywood let alone bedding compound. So most of the time what I saw in the 1980’s and early 90’s was aluminum window frames being tapped into place with rubber mallets. Tight fits but absolutely no resin or moisture protection for the exposed plywood laminars. Water migration into the plywood, delamination and fiberglass release will follow. It’s exponential so in a few years the scope of decay soon radiates out from a few inches around the lower window frames to areas half way to the deck. Freeze and thaw cycling only aggravates a bad condition

Okay we now know how water can migrate into the superstructure plywood. This is common not only with this boat but essentially most all Taiwanese trawlers. Remember this is not real fiberglass panels but sheathed or skinned plywood. Water gradually migrates into the plywood edges around the window frame openings. The water with the help of gravity penetrates the plywood laminars instigating delamination and with fiberglass covering the plywood there is no drainage, ventilation or way to mitigate the moist heat inside. I could get technical here but I think you get my drift. The rot spores are living the good life. Imagine the fix for this scenario, I can and I have literally chain sawed off the aft cabin on two such craft. Piecemeal removal was just too time consuming. The owners were told to go out of town as the shock would have been too much.

So think about this and the Alaskans are prime examples of this problem since they are constructed using suspect plywood that is fiberglass sheathed above deck. I’m talking deckhouses and bridge. You don’t have to worry about anybody treating and trying to hide this condition cause most of it is too expensive and hard to repair. With a light weight plastic tip hammer ( I use 4 oz. tips but 6 oz. is fine, 8 oz. too big ) you can lightly tap house sides etc and you will not only hear but feel loose fiberglass. If the superstructure passes then continue the survey. But if it’s wet and rotted there is no need to go further as the deal is upside down. We can talk decks, but at the asking price I’m sure your lesson will stop at the houses and bridge. However without attending the vessel you should know right up front that the asking price for this much boat probably says all you need to know.

Rick

garbler / Rick - Thanks for deep insight to experience learned! - Art

Hello everyone, THANK YOU all for the amazing responses and really helpful advise. I have decided NOT to proceed any further with the Alaskan. After all of the advise that I received here and the lack of adequate explanations by the seller. I did post to the Welcome thread so that everyone can know some about me and my background. I am also going to post in the Boat's Wanted thread about what I am looking for, budget, etc. Thank you again for all of the advise.

Hello everyone, THANK YOU all for the amazing responses and really helpful advise. I have decided NOT to proceed any further with the Alaskan. After all of the advise that I received here and the lack of adequate explanations by the seller. I did post to the Welcome thread so that everyone can know some about me and my background. I am also going to post in the Boat's Wanted thread about what I am looking for, budget, etc. Thank you again for all of the advise.

Just curios, what were the seller explanations that were lacking?

Probably a good decision. Good luck with your search.

Rick,

I take your word for it that you are an expert in wooden boats. However almost all the people here are not based on what they post. When someone comes here and asks advice on buying a large old wooden boat that is listed for a relatively small price, you have to assume that they too are not an expert in wooden boats. So when they ask advice on how to proceed the best advice is to tread very cautiously. Like make sure you can get insurance, make sure you can find a place to dock it, make sure you can find a yard that is willing to haul it. That isn’t being a wooden boat hater, so to speak, but just trying to make the OP aware of some of the negatives that come with a big, old wooden boat. Many people see a big boat that fits their budget and not understanding that the purchase price will eventually end up being a small part of the cost of owning this big, old wooden boat. The problem is that they most likely don’t know that the eventual cost will be enormous. Then they will maybe put the boat up at a fire sale price and pass it on to another unsuspecting buyer. What do you think the boat that Peter (Weebles) showed photos of and posted about will cost to put in running condition? Even at the lower costs of Mexican labor the cost will be staggering. Most people looking at a $40K big old wooden boat won’t have pockets deep enough to do it. So please temper your love for wooden boats with a bit of caution for the newbie boat owner and maybe help steer them away from a potential personal disaster.

However almost all the people here are not based on what they post.

Can you please help me understand what this means ? Should I be happy or ?

However almost all the people here are not based on what they post.

Can you please help me understand what this means ? Should I be happy or ?

What I mean is that is you are not a reasonably competent marine woodworker then you probably shouldn’t buy an old, big boat. And that based on what people post most of them are not.

Glad to hear it. And garbler is back to helpful courteous posting. All good!

Sorry but I am what I am. Let me explain I’m known by some tender types as gruff, others as lacking social grace, etc etc. Okay I guess I understand that but if you have thin skin or you’re afraid you may offend somebody by telling them their boat is a wreck then stay out of the surveying game. It’s a job where you go home at night knowing at least one maybe two or three are pissed at you. If you want to make friends the job is not for you.

Rick

That may be true in surveying but on TF there is indeed a be nice rule. Not being accusatory but maybe remember the rule before hitting post reply.

That may be true in surveying but on TF there is indeed a be nice rule. Not being accusatory but maybe remember the rule before hitting post reply.

I don’t see myself as being rude or not nice in fact I don’t try to mold myself to any set of forum personality rules. I treat people fairly and honestly and if somebody interprets my body language or facial expressions as offensive on-line then so be it. I’m on this site not to chit chat, hell I don’t even own a boat anymore, but to offer some honest information from a life time in the marine trades. If nobody wants the information or if I’m a bad fit then just let me know. I’ve got thick skin and certainly won’t take it personal .

Rick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom