Thompson Nelson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Why Knot
Vessel Make
1988 45' Nelson
Looking for other Thompson or Nelsons (otherwise known as Thompson Nelsons). Our boat, Why Knot, is a 45 Nelson 1988. It was the last one built. Looking for its kin.

Looking for other Thompson or Nelsons (otherwise known as Thompson Nelsons). Our boat, Why Knot, is a 45 Nelson 1988. It was the last one built. Looking for its kin.
You have a nice boat. Looked at it 2 or 3 years ago (still have the pics from the blind mosquito invasion where it was docked during hurricane season). Looked at a couple others and several on line. As many of the Thompsons were sold "to be finished by the owner" the interiors cover the spectrum from rough to very impressive. As the Thompsons were built in Titusville, most of the ones I saw were in FL with a few on the Gulf coast.

DSCN0518.jpg

Pic of your boat travel lift locking in Canada (I think).

IMG_0852.jpg

Ted

Yep, that's our boat

Hi Ted
That picture at Big Chute is our Why Knot but with the previous owners. 2006??? We looped Jan 2012 to April 2013. We did the Chute mid July 2012.

When we were Titusville after our loop this last April I started digging into T/Ns history as both shipyards were both right there. I met a guy named Phil at Nelson's old yard that used to work for Nelson. You're right that they were all done to be finished by others...except ours. Nelson built her out completely as a spec boat. It sat on jack stands by the side of the road for two years before the first owners came along. I also learned that our boat was the very last one ever built. She's the last T/N. Nelson's timing of becoming a yacht builder couldn't have been worse: softening market and then the dreaded luxury tax. Thompson sold all the jigs and molds to Nelson to raise cash to build a 90' luxury yacht, which was ill-timed also. Both folded.

Thanks for replying.

Attachments

• 0528130713a.jpg
    0528130713a.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 230
Nelson (Thompson) Trawler 44'

I'm in the final stages of purchasing a Nelson Trawler 44'. It is presently called "Rogue Mistress" (my wife is insisting upon a name change for some reason...) and "Bluebird" will be mine in a few days. There's a little work to be done and she is plagued with blisters, but she has a storied history with time spent at Abaco (does anyone remember her there ten years ago?) and at least one journey down to Venezuela. I'll keep her on Back River at Baltimore for this first shake down season, then cruising for a large part of the year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom