Lord Nelson Victory Tug 37

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Great Laker

Vessel Name
Great Laker
Vessel Make
American Tug 34
I ran across this Lord Nelson Victory Tug while on the Great Loop at Pebble Isle Marina on the Tennessee River. It was being delivered from the east coast by truck, but the owner had not yet arrived for the unloading. It is a 1985 hull 37 footer named Hjortie. What a legend among true full displacement tug lovers. It's great lines, great interior layout and fuel efficient hull make this a classic. It is not often you see one out of the water.

Attachments

• IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1,630
  • IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 495
There are a fair number of them up here. Enough to have their own Victory Tug Owners Group I believe. There are some 49' Victory Tugs here, too.

The VT37 was the first boat we started considering buying back in the mid-90s when we started thinking somewhat seriously about getting a cruising boat. It along with the deFever 46/Alaskan 49/Fleming 55 (all the same basic deFever design) are our favorite production boat designs.

The only potential show stopper on the Victory Tug had we pursued a purchase was that they were not that old back then so their prices were still pretty high. And the earliest aka least expensive ones had a BMW diiesel. BMW makes fine engines but the support and parts availability was already starting to be a bit iffy according to the owners we talked to. Lord Nelson later changed to a Cummins diesel in the VT37.

There was a beautiful VT37 on our dock for several years, and a few years ago it went up for sale. Had we been in the market for a boat at that time we would have snapped it up. It had the Cummins engine.

Last edited:
They are nice looking boats. Prefer a boat with waist-high railings, however, since I have poor balance and an acute fear of me and crew falling overboard.

img_106738_0_8d7db6729ab1bc6653a8a0ed0d53b2e1.jpg

Last edited:
Their bulwarks are very deep as you can see from this shot I snagged off the web.

image-4277878808.jpg

Marin, This is the first time I have seen one. Never yet on the Great Lakes, although there might be a couple. Anyone know of a Lord Nelson Victory Tug on the Great Lakes?

Lord Nelson Tug

Larry, here's a map of the Port O Call of the 86 Lord Nelson Victory Tugs if you are still interested. The red pins are for sale. Although they look like Woodie classics they are FG but have great salty lines. Personally I like the balanced lines of the 37 foot better than the 41 or 49'. But that's subjective I suppose.
I think the 49 that's for sale in Holland crossed the Atlantic on her own bottom which attests to their seaworthines.

Oops - I messed up the URL link. But Google Lord Nelson Victory Tug Map to find it. I MIGHT learn how to imbed those links eventually. So sorry,
Layne

I tried to talk myself into the 37, but there is just not enough room for me. The bed is small and the outside areas are not enough for the numbers I often have aboard. Cool boat though. The 49 would make sense, but they are hard to find and expensive.

I tried to talk myself into the 37, but there is just not enough room for me. The bed is small and the outside areas are not enough for the numbers I often have aboard. Cool boat though. The 49 would make sense, but they are hard to find and expensive.

There are currently two 49s for sale on yachtworld, one twin and one single with wing.

I have this one for sale in Mass., great boat
lord-nelson-victory-tug-37-trawler-3707268

Attachments

• 1985LNVT37MONKEYdockside.jpg
    1985LNVT37MONKEYdockside.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom