Old 07-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
I have a ST34 and I find the fuel consumption great at trawler speed. The added benefit is the possibility of going 20knots to get out of bad weather for instance. I think the comparison though should of been between a swift 44 (dual engines) vs the Californian 42 LRC
There is no valid comparison. The ST 44 is a newer hull design and very different from the Californian 42 LRC. Much has changed in boat design in the last 35 - 40 yrs. I suggest we put that comparison to bed because it is meaningless. Further the ST 44 and Californian 42 are boats so fundamentally different in design, accommodations and price that they will not both appeal to the same buyer.

As the OP of this thread I needed some rough numbers for speed vs range estimates for a delivery. I got that from TF and the sources listed and the delivery went very well. The thread got pulled off the ST 34 and into the comparison to my personal Californian 42 by Markpierce's question in post #14.

I will bow out now and thank everyone for their contribution to this thread.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #22
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
Very good link, thank you. I've also found this test

https://www.boattest.com/review/bene...wler-34http://
take boattest data with a grain of salt

consider how much load will be on the boat: people, water, fuel, gear, etc

consider conditions arent always ideal: wind, currents, etc

i typically see boattest isn't done in a real-world situation.

we have several thousand pounds of gear on our ST44 from spare parts, to tools, galley equipment, living supplies, clothing, etc. but on the flip side, we dont have any guests aboard given the pandemic so the weight for guests is just us two and a dog.

we definitely feel and see the difference when we are going on a long trip and have full fuel tanks, gear, food, water, ice, etc. we typically start those trips at a lower RPM/slower speed and on the return back we gain a few mph (currents/winds considered).
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote